• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've seen revolvers lock up because of a pinch of powder residue. I've had autos that are fussy
    to feed. Bolt guns work well but need full power ammo to be really effective. Semi auto rifles
    Are fussier than bolt guns when it comes to ammo and don't work with black powder .
    Lever action carbines in large pistol cartridge (.44/.45) might be a good bet...work with
    black powder and wheel weights. Flintlock when the primers run out.
    Doesn't much matter what you pick cause it will probably outlast you....
    zombies, plague, bandits, hunger.....radiation....

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Some nasty single shot shotgun in the hands of a banjo player look-alike. Thinks JC Higgans or Crescent. Remember the famous line in The Marathon Man? Done in by an old fart and an amateur.

THIS! The last functional arms, if ammo is still available, would be these. I can't remember where I read it, but there are tribes in the Amazon that will use single shot scatter sticks over any other weapon as they are uber simple, will continue to function, have a minimum of moving parts (even compared to an AK) and have no rifling to wear out. You can pop the primers out with a long awl, reprime with something questionable, make black powder, make a wad from somthing scavenged (or find the wad you fired and reuse it), load with pebbles and wax seal the end...

After that, I would imagine that if cottage industry style manufacting pops back up, it would be flint locks, match locks, MAYYYBBBEEE if you found a stamping or pipe plant, some kind of AK-ish or Sten-ish weapon, and even then, very zip gun style stuff. Crack open the US military's manual on improvised arms. THAT's what will exist and be made after everything is worn.

Hopefully by then, we found Colonel Disposable's secret arsenal of plasma pistols and positron rifles, allowing one to run roughshod over the tribes of Brownsburg... Those savages! Continuing to attack our trade caravans! :D

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I wont need any guns because I will be the only living thing around...so what am I gonna shoot at? :D

Once the nukes consume all the oxygen...a gun will be useless since it wont fire without oxygen anyway.

How do the Nukes consume all the oxygen?

And jsut to jump on the bandwagon, fireams don't need oxygen to fire. The chenmical reaction fo the propellants handles that for you.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Imagine the apocalypse occurring however you like: zombies, flooding, meteor impact, gamma burst, nuclear war, or all of the above. Modern manufacturing and machining of weapons is impossible from this point onward.

Assuming this much what, in your opinion, is likely to be the last functional pre-apocalypse firearm?

.22LR bolt action iron sight rifle. Why? Plenty of ammo. And the ammo is VERY easy to carry.

Top Bottom