• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Agree with flintlocks. My bow and arrows will be around too, all you gotta do is recycle the arrows..

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    +1 for Flintlock. It doesn't take much to cast lead balls or find flints laying around. You could do that indefinitely. The lead can be scavenged from a lot of places. And even the powder isn't terrible hard to make.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Probably a Davis/Lorcin/Jennings/Bryco. The heat and intense radiation would probably meld them into a actual working firearm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My first thought was for the good old S&W model 10 or a Ruger security six. But revbers actually have quite a few moving parts that can be fragile. But of the guns I own I would not bet against the old K frame.

As far as pistols the Browning HiPower can take a beating. But my choice for an auto loader goes to Glock. Sorry guys. Saying that from the non fan boy perspective.

Rifles? Hmmm...... one of the old second world war bolt guns. Probably Mosin.

How about shotguns. Remy 870 is good but I would go with Mossberg 500 for ease of maintenance. But vote neither for last man standing. That goes to the single shoot NEF pardner.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Since no firearm will function without ammunition, the last functioning firearm must be the one for which the most ammunition existed at the time of collapse.

Therefore, a .22 rimfire of some kind would be my bet.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I'm going to go with the GP100 or my bolt action single shot Remington 514. Both of my have seen plenty of use. Maybe not as much as an apocalypse could cause but at least it would be interesting to see.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Bow and arrow will always be useful. Primitive yet survivable.

Speaking of Apocalypse scenarios and weaponry. Does anyone else walk around in public and periodically point out who would be the first to go? I also think, "I need more ammo!"

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    If you want to be honest the it would be any single shot gun with a break action with little in the way of moving parts.
    My idea would be a H&R 12 or 20 gauge shotgun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any modern weapon that is maintained and you can get ammo for.
    Just do not bury your 1911's and AR's or SKS's or AK 47" in the dirt to prove a ridiculous point and they will run. Glocks and the like if the plastic stays intact after the bomb.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    My concern is that without the internet we won't be able to find out what Yeager suggests that we do. My guess is that he will be the only one left with a working firearm. The rest of us will all be doomed.

:runaway:

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    silly thread...don't you know the gubmint will take care of us all forever - and give us cell phones and "obama" money. who needs to prep with a plan like this? ya'll are wasting your money with this preppin' b.s. you could be buying cool rims for your ride or some kick ass truck nutz for your hitch. why you be buying all that ammo and stuff? the .gov is stockpiling enough to protect us all. In fact, I hear they have some SHTF "condos" near beachgrove. It has privacy fencing and mass transportation too. they booted the name of the development though - fema - doesn't sound all that nice, but wtf it's gonna be free yo. I only buy enough ammo to fill my clip when I buy a new piece - why buy a whole box? its not like I'm going to practice. is it odd that my LGS charges me $25 for 15 rounds of 9mm? 38th and Laf yo - WESTSIIIIIIDE!!!

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Some nasty single shot shotgun in the hands of a banjo player look-alike. Thinks JC Higgans or Crescent. Remember the famous line in The Marathon Man? Done in by an old fart and an amateur.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I would vote AK, they've been battle tested harder than (arguably) any other modern rifle. Think about how hard a 50+ year old battlefield AK gets used and abused in the worst environments with the minimal of maintenance. A half century of straight up abuse by its users and it keeps on running. Think of how long a properly maintained AK would last, considering some of the guns being used in Afghanistan (and elsewhere) are a half century old and abused as all heck. It’d be hard to replicate this kind of field testing. I’d assume with minimal care a brand new top of the line AK would last 200+ years averaging 3000 rounds a year? However I AM just pulling these numbers out of my a**

You want to look into over 200 years then yeah I’d say bow and arrow since that can be rebuilt over and over again from plant and animal parts, and the arrows reused as others have already pointed out. I guess the specific apocalypse would dictate terms such as ammo availability. Which would just be the survivor(s) rummaging around every place looking for supplies/ammunition/spare gun parts, etc.

16aqjyt.jpg

fnsdhv.jpg

Last edited:

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Imagine the apocalypse occurring however you like: zombies, flooding, meteor impact, gamma burst, nuclear war, or all of the above. Modern manufacturing and machining of weapons is impossible from this point onward.

Assuming this much what, in your opinion, is likely to be the last functional pre-apocalypse firearm?

Colt 1911..... of course.:yesway:

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I wont need any guns because I will be the only living thing around...so what am I gonna shoot at? :D

Once the nukes consume all the oxygen...a gun will be useless since it wont fire without oxygen anyway.
    ??? Cartridge has oxidizer in the powder... it will fire in a vacuum.

Top Bottom