• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Add him to the growing list of people who don't care for the Serpa.

HERE

I heard an instructor say something like, "I teach anywhere from 4-12 classes a month, each class has 10-20 students that fire on average 800-1000 rounds each class, and I've been teaching for 15 years. So when I tell you something doesn't work, it's not cause I think it doesn't. It's because I've see it not work time and time again."

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I am all for the shuning of sponge bob square pants. I was all for the CIA's plan to take spongebob out under the guise of an environmental disaster, who would have guessed that his base of operations was in the pacific instead of the gulf. I guess with the proven effectiveness the Serpa, a certain government agency might give one to sponge bob free of charge here in the near future.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Whatever.

The Serpa is amazing. Larry is a dunce who doesn't know anything. Professional Operators use them so why he would fear the best holster ever. How dare he ban them from his classes.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Meh I like my BlackHawk Serpa, they are probably not the best choice for everyone or every gun though.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Meh I like my BlackHawk Serpa, they are probably not the best choice for everyone or every gun though.

:+1:I find them useful. Not perfect, but useful. I prefer them to leather in high perspiration situations like outdoor running, mowing grass, etc. Hate to seat all over a good holster of fine leather. I also find the Serpa faster on the draw than any leather holster.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I broke one in a class. It wasn't mine to start with and I'm damn grateful for that fact. I won't own one because of how it broke. Just can't take that chance.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I have a Serpa for my M&P, and a comp-tac for my commander size 1911. FWIW, I think the Serpa feels a bit "clumsy" compared to the comp-tac.
    Of course, I prefer my 1911 to the M&P, too. Maybe that's part of the problem.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    :+1:I find them useful. Not perfect, but useful. I prefer them to leather in high perspiration situations like outdoor running, mowing grass, etc. Hate to seat all over a good holster of fine leather. I also find the Serpa faster on the draw than any leather holster.

Agreed, leather holsters & common sources of moisture like perspiration or precipitation generally equals a lot more care & attention required to keep the weapon from spotting up w/rust.

I broke one in a class. It wasn't mine to start with and I'm damn grateful for that fact. I won't own one because of how it broke. Just can't take that chance.

Agreed, I've cracked a couple kydex holsters (not my Serpa, at least not yet) myself, had I been wearing one of my leather holsters they'd probably had just gotten a couple of "character" scrapes/scratches on them.

I haven't found the perfect holster yet, I've got a huge drawer full of them from trying to find the perfect one though.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have one for my 1911. The problem I have with it is during a rapid draw my trigger finger almost always slaps the trigger once the gun clears the holster. Think about it, your trigger finger is putting inward pressure on a button and then as you draw your finger slips off the holster. Where is it gonna go? I noticed it as a problem as soon as I got mine home. Notwithstanding the problem of how they can and do break leaving you with a weapon jammed in a holster. I have not used it since. PM me if someone likes them and needs one.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have one for my 1911. The problem I have with it is during a rapid draw my trigger finger almost always slaps the trigger once the gun clears the holster. Think about it, your trigger finger is putting inward pressure on a button and then as you draw your finger slips off the holster. Where is it gonna go? I noticed it as a problem as soon as I got mine home. Notwithstanding the problem of how they can and do break leaving you with a weapon jammed in a holster. I have not used it since. PM me if someone likes them and needs one.

The design of the button (regardless of which model of handgun the Serpa is for) is always placed above the trigger.

So after drawing from a Serpa, your trigger/button finger (if kept straight) should be laying across the top of your handgun's receiver directly above the trigger & just below the slide (or cylinder if it's a revolver).

But IMHO no-one should carry in a holster that they are uncomfortable with or has concerns about, especially when it comes to safety issues.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The design of the button (regardless of which model of handgun the Serpa is for) is always placed above the trigger.

So after drawing from a Serpa, your trigger/button finger (if kept straight) should be laying across the top of your handgun's receiver directly above the trigger & just below the slide (or cylinder if it's a revolver).

But IMHO no-one should carry in a holster that they are uncomfortable with or has concerns about, especially when it comes to safety issues.

Yes I agree with that. But the design IMO requires the finger tip to activate the button with some inward pressure, not just a straight trigger finger. Maybe mine was adjusted to tight. I dunno. In my mind the design benefit was just not worth the risk. Not really knocking them but mine sent my red flags off.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    WOW! I rest my case. Like I said it didn't take me long working with mine to see the potential problem. In a rapid draw I noticed right away that too many times my trigger finger was slapping the trigger. It probably would not be as much of a problem with a Glock or something along that line. But with a 1911 I see a potential problem.:twocents:

?? the guy thumbed off his safety & squeezed the trigger while drawing his weapon from it's holster.

That's hardly the holsters fault.

Stuff like that happens all of the time to Barney Fife, but that's because Barney is a klutz.

Unload your 1911 & try drawing from your Serpa again, only this time keep your trigger finger straight the whole time, I guarantee you won't "slap the trigger" with it while drawing.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    ?? the guy thumbed off his safety & squeezed the trigger while drawing his weapon from it's holster.

That's hardly the holsters fault.

Stuff like that happens all of the time to Barney Fife, but that's because Barney is a klutz.

Unload your 1911 & try drawing from your Serpa again, only this time keep your trigger finger straight the whole time, I guarantee you won't "slap the trigger" with it while drawing.

Actually with all the training I have had on the 1911, the safety gets snicked off during the draw, in one smooth motion on a shoot from draw situation.

But my Serpa days are over. I will never be using mine again.

Top Bottom