• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Alright, well I'm having a HD enclosure delivered to me in about 25 minutes, so you can't really beat that. :):

I'm not going to take anything else apart until I do that.

If I put it in the enclosure, plug it in my comp and I can read the data on her HD, what exactly is that going to tell me?

BTW, thanks a LOT guys...It'll take me a day or two to rep everyone that has helped.

Especially Scutter with that insightful and over-the-top-helpful post of his...Too bad I can't rep it twice. :laugh:

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Ya order one from tiger and you will get it by Friday.. Sometimes dropping HDs does nothing to damage them, and sometimes they break just sitting there, so it is hard to know it is is broken without checking it.

If it is broken you can replace it with Seagate ST9320423AS Momentus 7200.4 Mobile Hard Drive - 320GB, 2.5, 7200 RPM, 16MB, SATA at TigerDirect.com on the cheap end or Seagate ST9750420AS Momentus Mobile Hard Drive - 750GB, 2.5, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA at TigerDirect.com for the more expensive.

The reason i choose those two is because the 7200 RPM drive speed. You can get bigger ones for about the same price, but i find HD speed is often the slowest part of the modern computer.

If the drive is indeed dead there are a few options for data recovery. After you get the SATA enclosure we found before, put the HD in the freezer overnight, then put it int he enclosure, and hook it up to a computer.

Freezing it may allow it to run for a short period or time and give you a chance to get your data off of it. Remember the time is short so try and get the priority items off first.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Alright, well I'm having a HD enclosure delivered to me in about 25 minutes, so you can't really beat that. :):

I'm not going to take anything else apart until I do that.

If I put it in the enclosure, plug it in my comp and I can read the data on her HD, what exactly is that going to tell me?

BTW, thanks a LOT guys...It'll take me a day or two to rep everyone that has helped.

Especially Scutter with that insightful and over-the-top-helpful post of his...Too bad I can't rep it twice. :laugh:

You will know it works because when you turn on the computer you may be able to boot it off of the HD in the enclosure showing it works.

You may have to hit a button to have you select "Boot Options" and then select the USB HD. If that doesn't work go into the BIOS and see if you can find the HD on there, if you can't then the HD may be broken.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You will know it works because when you turn on the computer you may be able to boot it off of the HD in the enclosure showing it works.

You may have to hit a button to have you select "Boot Options" and then select the USB HD. If that doesn't work go into the BIOS and see if you can find the HD on there, if you can't then the HD may be broken.

So it doesn't act like an external HD that I plug into the USB drive once it's in the enclosure?

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    So it doesn't act like an external HD that I plug into the USB drive once it's in the enclosure?

It will if you plug it into a system that has an OS on it. Most Motherboards will search for and OS on external drives if it fails to find one on an internal HD, or the optical drive.

If it doesn't auto look for the OS on the external, there is normally an option in the BIOS to boot from USB.

Without knowing the make and model of the computer or motherboard it is hard to give advise without being confusing..:P

Hopefully i have given enough ideas to help you figure it out for yourself..:)

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

It will act like a removable drive while plugged into your other computer via the USB enclosure. The only way your computer would try to boot to that drive is if your motherboard BIOS allows you to boot to USB drives. By default, it will boot to your PCs drive and then just bring up the USB enclosure as another drive.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    dell_2_lg.jpg

I got mine apart in record time...

Is your fixed yet?

:):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Assuming it is a Dell (from earlier pic), you should be able to request a free set of backup discs.

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

The only version of Vista that is legally distributed is the "upgrade" version, and I believe it requires an earlier version of Windows to be installed.

That's what I was afraid of...I was pretty sure I could get them sent to me from Dell for free, but I'm just trying to speed this up.

I have a woman constantly nagging in my ear about not having her computer(and pouting when she's not nagging).:):

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Since you have the serial #, you could download an .ISO and use Active ISO burner or ImgBurn. Putting Vista on a dvd would just be like having a backup copy since you do have a legit serial #.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Since you have the serial #, you could download an .ISO and use Active ISO burner or ImgBurn. Putting Vista on a dvd would just be like having a backup copy since you do have a legit serial #.

I was looking for an .ISO file...Windows Home Premium Edition OEM SP1.

If you know where to find it, please tell me.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Good news is I remembered to look, bad news is I don't have the home version of anything. If you do call dell about the recovery disks I recommend calling in the AM and be insistent but polite.

Top Bottom