• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm "outraged" that we're focusing so much attention on this one word. Don't forget the other words we're supposed to ban!

[video=youtube_share;6dynbzMlCcw]http://youtu.be/6dynbzMlCcw[/video]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Would you say the same thing sitting in front of a down syndrome child and his parents?

it is impossible to ban speech and your insinuation is disingenuous.

Depends, I wouldn't use it to describe their child. For the reasons I stated in another post.

Probably not, but my vocabulary varies greatly depending on environment and company. I tend to drop more F-bombs in the garage than in church.

And this. Although I do tend to use Jesus, Jesus Christ or on occasion Jesus H or Fing Christ in the garage more than Church also. :D

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Probably not, but my vocabulary varies greatly depending on environment and company. I tend to drop more F-bombs in the garage than in church.

This is my challenge to you then. Why would you act better in church then you would in your every day life?

"Our character is what we do when no one is looking." I think we have all said things in front of people we did not know where there. We should speak as if they are there, and then it doesn't matter. Please do not view this is me saying I am better than anyone, I'm just trying to point out a place we can all improve.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That would be impolite. But do we really need regulation to prevent every social faux pas?

Define "regulation". If you mean "should we watch what we say", then yes.

is it different if a parent reads his comment on a gun forum or hears him say it? Both are statements attributed to the same individual. If someone will be offended by it, and they didn't think you used terms like that because you don't around them, it will seem even more negative to them because now they feel they misread you.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    For those that have said they wouldn't use the word in a hateful manner to directly demean a person with a disability: you get credit for that. At least you are a big enough person not to directly pick on a defenseless innocent.

The use of harmful language; racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language as an insult is not acceptable just because you use it in reference to someone that is not actually a member of a disadvantaged group. What about the lowlifes that aren't as decent as you? They hear the word used as an insult, it becomes slang, it gets used in a movie, becomes a catchphrase and therefore they think it is okay to pick on people weaker than them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For those that have said they wouldn't use the word in a hateful manner to directly demean a person with a disability: you get credit for that. At least you are a big enough person not to directly pick on a defenseless innocent.

The use of harmful language; racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language as an insult is not acceptable just because you use it in reference to someone that is not actually a member of a disadvantaged group. What about the lowlifes that aren't as decent as you? They hear the word used as an insult, it becomes slang, it gets used in a movie, becomes a catchphrase and therefore they think it is okay to pick on people weaker than them.

What if a member of the disadvantaged group uses it to describe another member of that disadvantaged group? I'm trying to understand why it's bad for someone not in that group to use it, but in at least one case that I'm thinking of, it's okay for members within a group to refer to each other with a disparaging term.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is my challenge to you then. Why would you act better in church then you would in your every day life?

"Our character is what we do when no one is looking." I think we have all said things in front of people we did not know where there. We should speak as if they are there, and then it doesn't matter. Please do not view this is me saying I am better than anyone, I'm just trying to point out a place we can all improve.

Why do you define it as better? Different is not necessarily better or worse. I assume you and your wife are friendly with each other, do/would you act the same way in the bedroom when you're alone, with the kids (if any) in the living room, or in an exam room with a patient present? Some acts/actions and words maybe acceptable in all three, others in 2 or 1.

So I'm responsible for others actions? To put it in a firearm frame, because I carry a gun for protection I'm responsible for lowlifes that would use it differently?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    What if a member of the disadvantaged group uses it to describe another member of that disadvantaged group? I'm trying to understand why it's bad for someone not in that group to use it, but in at least one case that I'm thinking of, it's okay for members within a group to refer to each other with a disparaging term.

I don't think it is a common occurrence with the particular pejorative term we are discussing.

If I am correctly guessing the term to which you are referring then I have no frame of reference. :dunno: I just know that it is inappropriate for me to use it because it would be considered harmful and insulting so I eschew its use.

People with mental disabilities come in all flavors and it is a disability that crosses all lines: ethnic, religious, political, cultural, economic, etc. It can occur at birth or later. I just think we can be big enough not to use their condition as an insult or as a joke.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN

So I'm responsible for others actions? To put it in a firearm frame, because I carry a gun for protection I'm responsible for lowlifes that would use it differently?

If you were using the firearm in an irresponsible manner and claiming that it was okay to do so then it would be reasonable to expect someone to point it out so hopefully you would not become a bad example for others. However, let's not go down the INGO rabbit hole of setting up comparisons to unrelated topics until we reduce it to the point of absurdity.

Words matter and it is inappropriate to use a real disability that impacts people through no fault of their own as an insult to others or as a joke. A society or group that fails to set boundaries for acceptable behavior and interactions is headed down a bad path. You do influence others by what you find acceptable or objectionable.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you were using the firearm in an irresponsible manner and claiming that it was okay to do so then it would be reasonable to expect someone to point it out so hopefully you would not become a bad example for others. However, let's not go down the INGO rabbit hole of setting up comparisons to unrelated topics until we reduce it to the point of absurdity.

Words matter and it is inappropriate to use a real disability that impacts people through no fault of their own as an insult to others or as a joke. A society or group that fails to set boundaries for acceptable behavior and interactions is headed down a bad path. You do influence others by what you find acceptable or objectionable.

But what I'm getting from you is that any use is irresponsible. Am I correct on that?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    But what I'm getting from you is that any use is irresponsible. Am I correct on that?

No sir.

The word does have a technical meaning without negative connotations and I see no problem with using it in that context. You can retard a spark to your heart's content. You can even retard the the decay of your deck through the judicious use of water sealer.

The word used to have a medical meaning that is no longer used and although I might wince; I would not find your use of it in that context objectionable (assuming you are not a medical practitioner and just didn't know any better).

When it is used as a pejorative to insult someone then it becomes objectionable and harmful because it sets a standard that it is okay to call someone by that term. When a word associated with a group of people is used to insult others by association then it is demeaning to innocents. Consider this possible internal reaction "He hates him so much that he said he was like me" or maybe "He said that guy was worthless because he was like me". When you use inclusion in a group as an insult then you are insulting, demeaning and lessening the human value of every member of that group.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You're comparing two entirely different things :rolleyes:

Logical fallacy

Yes two different things. What I asked originally was not to compare those things, it was to point out his logical fallacy in that I am responsible for others who may use a word differently than I. Then I asked if I was correct in my belief that he thought any use of the word was irresponsible.

Top Bottom