• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Are you kidding me? If my truck is unlocked it's no accident. It is not their job to lock my doors. Sometimes I leave the keys in it. How about they look for car thieves. If they wait nearby an unlocked car with the keys in it they might catch one. Kind of like fishing. Throw out some bait and see if some animal bites.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not sure if the sarcasm is meant to disagree with me or just make a joke. Either way, if a person would do the simple things I said in my first post then I'd put money on you car being left alone. Thieves don't break windows out in the hopes that they'll find something of value. If they can't quietly open the door or obviously see something of value, they'll move on. Again, I've never seen a theft from a vehicle that couldn't have been prevented. Not that it couldn't happen, I've just never seen it. Your method would probably work too though. :D

Well, in that case, you owe me twice now.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I'm not sure if the sarcasm is meant to disagree with me or just make a joke. Either way, if a person would do the simple things I said in my first post then I'd put money on you car being left alone. Thieves don't break windows out in the hopes that they'll find something of value. If they can't quietly open the door or obviously see something of value, they'll move on. Again, I've never seen a theft from a vehicle that couldn't have been prevented. Not that it couldn't happen, I've just never seen it. Your method would probably work too though. :D

Absolutely false. The front windows on my truck were 5%. The front windshield was 35%. The rest were 2% tint. You cant see into it at all, and I didnt have anything of value laying out. And they broke my window. And of course, the doors were locked.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    This isn't new, the police in Ft worth/ Dallas do this all the time. If I remember right they set a piece of paper in the drivers seat and just keep going.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well, in that case, you owe me twice now.

So absolutely nothing in plain view that looked like it could be valuable? Would you mind sharing what was stolen?

Absolutely false. The front windows on my truck were 5%. The front windshield was 35%. The rest were 2% tint. You cant see into it at all, and I didnt have anything of value laying out. And they broke my window. And of course, the doors were locked.

What did they take? Where did it happen? Were there several other vehicles on the block that had something similiar happen or just yours?

I guess I'll have to take the word of both members here that they did everything I mentioned and still had something stolen, but in over five years of investigating thefts from vehicles (security, private investigation, and law enforcement) I have NEVER seen one that couldn't have been prevented. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible but it's extremely rare and illogical from the standpoint of a thief. Breaking windows makes noise, noise brings attention. It's not worth the fishing expedition if they don't have a pretty good idea that there's something in there that's worth their effort and risk. Usually it's because the door is unlocked, they see something that is valuable or appears valuable, or they have watched the target and know that something valuable is inside. Most thieves are opportunists and don't usually know something valuable is in the vehicle, they have to be able to see it or be able to open the door. Apparently it happens though. I still stand by my suggestions. :twocents:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This is a complete and utter waste of time and resources. If they have this many officers available for this program, they have too many officers on the force. How much further are we going to go down this path of having K-12 teachers 100% responsible for raising the youth, and cops/firefighters responsible for the adults? Can we stop this "Government should be our saviors" stuff? Ridiculous.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently it happens though. I still stand by my suggestions.

It's good advice, js.

Mine was a gym bag full of wet, smelly work out clothes. They used a chunk of concrete.

IIRC, the gym bag was in the floor of the back seat (passenger side) where they broke the window. It could have been on the back seat though.

Regardless I think this program is far too Nanny State. Just something (else) we need to complain about.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    So absolutely nothing in plain view that looked like it could be valuable? Would you mind sharing what was stolen?

What did they take? Where did it happen? Were there several other vehicles on the block that had something similiar happen or just yours?

I guess I'll have to take the word of both members here that they did everything I mentioned and still had something stolen, but in over five years of investigating thefts from vehicles (security, private investigation, and law enforcement) I have NEVER seen one that couldn't have been prevented. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible but it's extremely rare and illogical from the standpoint of a thief. Breaking windows makes noise, noise brings attention. It's not worth the fishing expedition if they don't have a pretty good idea that there's something in there that's worth their effort and risk. Usually it's because the door is unlocked, they see something that is valuable or appears valuable, or they have watched the target and know that something valuable is inside. Most thieves are opportunists and don't usually know something valuable is in the vehicle, they have to be able to see it or be able to open the door. Apparently it happens though. I still stand by my suggestions. :twocents:

I would honestly have a hard time trying to think of somebody I know that HASNT had a window busted out of their vehicle by a thief.

I think you are full of ****.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I would honestly have a hard time trying to think of somebody I know that HASNT had a window busted out of their vehicle by a thief.

I think you are full of ****.

So what did they steal from you? Was it in a neighborhood or at a business? Was your vehicle the only one that was broken into? Did you have any shady neighbors who knew you kept something of value in there? Or, was the item(s) taken completely hidden and just by blind luck a thief picked your car to break into, searched the vehicle and then found the valuable item? Again, I've never seen this so I'd be interested to know the circumstances. It's always good to learn something new.

Edit: And in what way am I full of it? Lying about what I've seen? Lying about my experiences?

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    So what did they steal from you? Was it in a neighborhood or at a business? Was your vehicle the only one that was broken into? Did you have any shady neighbors who knew you kept something of value in there? Or, was the item(s) taken completely hidden and just by blind luck a thief picked your car to break into, searched the vehicle and then found the valuable item? Again, I've never seen this so I'd be interested to know the circumstances. It's always good to learn something new.

Edit: And in what way am I full of it? Lying about what I've seen? Lying about my experiences?

I was at work (Im really weird in this way, but I believe in going to work everyday and earning the things I want), me and another guy both had our trucks broken into at the same time, out in the parking lot at work, which is less then 1 mile south of Haughville, has absolutely no security, no gate, no cameras, nothing. They stole a useless $20 cell phone, half a bottle of Tylenol (seriously), burned CDs (worth about a nickel each, stole about 10 of them), just other random crap, but nothing valuable.

They stole the stereo out of the other guys truck. So tell me, how exactly was I supposed to prevent this? You said you have never seen a vehicle break in that couldnt have been prevented (which is 100% bull****)....Tell me, what could I have done different?

Not worked there? I parked in the closest spot possible. Maybe park inside the building, perhaps park my 3/4 ton Chevy in the dispatch office next to the fax machine? Or was I supposed to come back to the yard every 5 minutes (Im a truck driver) and check on my truck? Chain up an attack dog to one of my axles? The truck was locked, has an alarm, has extremely dark windows, and had nothing of value in it. I want to hear from you what I did wrong.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I was at work (Im really weird in this way, but I believe in going to work everyday and earning the things I want), me and another guy both had our trucks broken into at the same time, out in the parking lot at work, which is less then 1 mile south of Haughville, has absolutely no security, no gate, no cameras, nothing. They stole a useless $20 cell phone, half a bottle of Tylenol (seriously), burned CDs (worth about a nickel each, stole about 10 of them), just other random crap, but nothing valuable.

They stole the stereo out of the other guys truck. So tell me, how exactly was I supposed to prevent this? You said you have never seen a vehicle break in that couldnt have been prevented (which is 100% bull****)....Tell me, what could I have done different?

Not worked there? I parked in the closest spot possible. Maybe park inside the building, perhaps park my 3/4 ton Chevy in the dispatch office next to the fax machine? Or was I supposed to come back to the yard every 5 minutes (Im a truck driver) and check on my truck? Chain up an attack dog to one of my axles? The truck was locked, had an alarm, has extremely dark windows, and had nothing of value in it. I want to hear from you what I did wrong.

Why are you angry and cursing at me for your stuff getting stolen? And I didn't blame you, I said they can usually be prevented. I'm interested in this though because in my experience it's extremely rare. Where were the CDs, tylenol, and cell phone located in your vehicle? Were they in a glove box? Covered center console? Any cars besides yours and your friend's broken into?

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Why are you angry and cursing at me for your stuff getting stolen? And I didn't blame you, I said they can usually be prevented. I'm interested in this though because in my experience it's extremely rare. Where were the CDs, tylenol, and cell phone located in your vehicle? Were they in a glove box? Covered center console? Any cars besides yours and your friend's broken into?

Backseat, middle console, in the cubby holes under the radio. Still out of sight. Do you think I should start putting all of my worthless crap into some kind of vault welded to the frame of my truck?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Backseat, middle console, in the cubby holes under the radio. Still out of sight. Do you think I should start putting all of my worthless crap into some kind of vault welded to the frame of my truck?

If everything you say is 100% accurate then I guess anything is possible. It's pretty rare that only two vehicles are broken into on the lot (unless yours were the only two) and items that can't be seen are stolen. I've still yet to see it myself, nor anyone I work with that I've asked this question of, but I've learned that it's possible. That's pretty dumb of the thieves to not steal the radios too. But what do I know, I'm full of :poop: apparently. If I have security/law enforcement questions in the future I'll check with you before giving any "helpful" advice.

To everyone else:
    Lock your doors.
    Conceal your valuables.
    Conceal anything that looks like valuables.

Last edited:

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    The only thing about this article that made me "feel better" was the comments from the citizens of Lafayette who responded in the comments section. About 90% of them saw through this incredible waste of money and time.

Who thought up this Orwellian program, and why do they still have a government job? :dunno:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

I had nothing of value in the car, and nothing was stolen. Both times the thieves managed to wedge open the closed passenger side window and let themselves in.

The first time, they left a mess in the car and the door unlocked.

The second time, they left a mess and caused over $ 300 in damage to the car. It was the same car in both instances.

But, you go ahead and keep blaming the victims. That has always been my experience with the police.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is probably one of the more ridiculous arguments posted here. A few years ago, a neighborhood I worked, during the day, was hit really hard by some theives the night prior. I took no less than 10 theft reports from people who left GPSs, wallets, purses, ipods, and various other valuables in plain sight. Not a single door to those vehicles was locked. I spent the next 6 hours writing reports. The next day, I spent the whole day out of my car, as a foot patrol unit, and went door to door advising people of ways to protect themselves and their property.
    One may prefer that their car is unlocked, but most don't, and appreciate being informed of unlocked car doors, open garages, unlocked businesses etc.

Top Bottom