• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    FWIW.......I could almost bet you that the vast majority of beat cops (you know, the ones that actually work instead of sitting around thinking up DA things to do) actually agree that this is extremely stupid. If I was told I had to do this I would refuse. I would probably get wrote up or suspended.......but that's ok, wouldn't be the first time and wouldn't be the last.

I am of the mind that if you leave your car unlocked and your **** laying out........then it's just as much your fault if it gets stolen. Just the day we live in. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to open myself up as being questioned as being the one that took it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would consider anyone opening a door of my property without my permission as breaking and entering.

I agree, without probable cause, what right do they have to check to see if I locked my car? And if they do open the door, because they are uniformed civilians, does it now allow them to search the vehicle?

Sorry, it appears that 1984 was the wrong date on the book.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I could almost bet you that the vast majority of beat cops (you know, the ones that actually work instead of sitting around thinking up DA things to do) actually agree that this is extremely stupid

My moles inside LPD report the same thing.

If anyone needs me I'll be "checking security" at the Tri Delt and Delta Gam house across the river at Purdue.

cheerleaders3.jpg

If LPD is checking cars, can they do some community policing and check our tire pressure, oil and maybe wax our vehicles?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Naw, Benny, LPD gets enough, but we can definitely politely call and write the Police Chief, the Mayor and our City Council members to say our piece on this practice.

A little too Nanny State for me. Bring the heat, so they see the light.:D

City of Lafayette, IN - Home Page

I do think this would be a great practice at Purdue for sororities and I volunteer my services as Chief Door Checker (as long as I get a badge and maybe a hat . . . oh, I want a machine gun or three too).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wonder what they would do if they opened the car door, and saw a sign on the seat. Being nice, it would say: "OK, now that you found my car unlocked, you do have a warrant don't you???"

I'm sure someone could come up with a nice sign that might be attached to a drop down string so if the door is opened, the sign drops in the face of the uniformed civilian that is "just doing his job".

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Going to be a lot of car alarms going off. Wake up the neighborhood and see how many calls the mayor gets.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Better they waste their time checking the cars than for taking a bunch of reports from people too stupid to lock their cars or hide their valuables.

+1

I don't think I've EVER seen a car break-in that couldn't have been prevented. It's always an unlocked door, valuables in plain view, or something that looks like valuables (such as a diaper bag that looks like a purse). Put that fancy GPS away, put your backpacks in the trunk, take the faceplate off the CD player, and lock your damn doors.

/rant

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I wish people would stop "warming" up their cars in the driveway unlocked or at the local CVS only to be surprised that when they come back to it, it is gone. On days east alone we get 4-5 a day :xmad:. That is A LOT of paperwork for us for each stolen vehicle.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wish people would stop "warming" up their cars in the driveway unlocked or at the local CVS only to be surprised that when they come back to it, it is gone. On days east alone we get 4-5 a day :xmad:. That is A LOT of paperwork for us for each stolen vehicle.

Criminal bastards. If they would just quit committing crimes, you'd never have to leave the wire.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I say the citizens of Lafayette need to find the addresses of all city officials and police officers. Set up a roster to check their personal vehicles every 15 minutes.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    +1

I don't think I've EVER seen a car break-in that couldn't have been prevented. It's always an unlocked door, valuables in plain view, or something that looks like valuables (such as a diaper bag that looks like a purse). Put that fancy GPS away, put your backpacks in the trunk, take the faceplate off the CD player, and lock your damn doors.

/rant

Tell that to the brick I found through my side window.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Criminal bastards. If they would just quit committing crimes, you'd never have to leave the wire.
    Well, let us not make it so friggin easy for them. I mean REALLY!!! What part of going to a busy CVS, park your van by the exit, leave it running and unlocked, and go inside for 15 minutes to shop sounded like a good idea? Sure, it would be nice if we COULD do that but in the city...hell no.

Top Bottom