• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    As we all know there is a lack of ammo on the market right now. When you can find ammo it is so expensive. I have been hearing all kinds of information on why there is no ammo. I just wonder what is true.

1. The government (ATF) issues permits for ammo to be released to the public, and they are not issuing these permits now. This way the goverment controls the amount of ammo on the market. I have heard that this holds true for reloading equipment too.

2. The government has issued the green light for all departments to purchase all ammo .308 and smaller except for .25 and .32.

3. The ammo manufactures are just this far behind in production.

4. People have purchased basically all of the ammo on the market and there is basically nothing left.

Does anyone know which one of these, if any is true?

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    3 & 4 are going to be the most likely. It is us the consumers that are creating the shortage.

This is what I have been thinking. I have had several people talk about 1 and 2 but I don't know if those people are trying to stir the pot.

I am happy to say that I have not purchased ammo for months.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    3&4 People seem to be buying, as much as possible and hoarding thousands of rounds. For tons of different reasons. I'm trying to find reasonably priced ammo to go train with, but people who are hoarding all this ammo in a stockpile because they're fearful is preventing people who want to buy ammo to train. Everyone needs to pull back on the reigns a bit and relax on the hoarding. I love to go out and shoot, The only ammo I hold on to is my self defense ammo that I carry every day. I only have about 50-100 rounds of regular ball/target ammo for my hand guns and rifle. That being said, people have the right to buy whatever ammo they want, in whatever quantity they want, at whatever price point they want, however often they want to. BUT! If people stop buying at these ridiculously high prices ($0.75/round for 9mm?!?!) the market will be forced to come down from where it is.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Holy hell, ANOTHER "where is the ammo going?" thread?!?!
    :horse:
    :horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Here, I haven't heard this one before and since this in on the internet this thread will spread ALL across the country as fact

Obama signed an intergalactic pact with the space police to curve interstellar gun and laser gun crimes.

ALL of our ammo is being blasted into deep space while the battery pacts to the laser guns are being stored here on earth to power electric vehicles.

Also, same batteries that power the laser guns also powers Transformers. They are real, FACT.

There, that's the truth

jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I finally woke up and got my LTCH and I am just now looking into buying basic weapons (I consider 12ga, .243, 10/22, and handgun) and I was wondering what where the normal prices you would pay for rounds pre-scare? And what is considered a resonable deal now days?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Holy hell, ANOTHER "where is the ammo going?" thread?!?!
    :horse:
    :horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Here, I haven't heard this one before and since this in on the internet this thread will spread ALL across the country as fact

Obama signed an intergalactic pact with the space police to curve interstellar gun and laser gun crimes.

ALL of our ammo is being blasted into deep space while the battery pacts to the laser guns are being stored here on earth to power electric vehicles.

Also, same batteries that power the laser guns also powers Transformers. They are real, FACT.

There, that's the truth

Yeah, I know. Can we please stop all these types of threads. I know I don't have to read them and many I ignore but this is getting annoying when half of the first page of threads in nothing but new, daily posted "whats causing the shortage" threads.... :rolleyes:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Yeah, I know. Can we please stop all these types of threads. I know I don't have to read them and many I ignore but this is getting annoying when half of the first page of threads in nothing but new, daily posted "whats causing the shortage" threads.... :rolleyes:

Sorry for the post, I know there several threads about lack of ammo. I've been hearing some rumors from local people and wanted to see if anyone had more information.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst so the flippers start dumping it into the market to try and minimize their losses.
    Did this happen at all in '08? Just wondering if the prices got really low after the panic. I wasn't buying anything then.

exbrit

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    not another one

I guess I was irritated to see the content of this post. Its an endless theme and goes on and on.
    As to the reasons why, just look at many of the posts saying X store has ammo and all the sheep go running over and clean out the inventory.
    When will it end? Well probably not until the panic buyers either run out of money or space to store it.
    These panic buyers are buying at inflated prices and will eventually get burnt financially.
    I reload and with the help of my LGS I have suffered no shortages and am at the range twice a week as normal.
    Couple of observations! many of the shooters on the range these days are shooting way less, and in some cases they come in and shoot one or two magazines at max. In a discussion with another shooter yesterday, he shot two mags of 9mm and then quit. as we talked I thought he was low on ammo and offered to give him a couple mags. Turned out he has thousands but is afraid to use it in case it gets banned DUH!!!!!!!
    I am loving it though as most of the shooters these days appear to be new to the sport and leave their brass. If the person is still at the range I usually ask if they want it, and that if not I will pick it up.
    In the past 3 months I have picked up and loaded over 3,000 9mm, 1000 45 ACP. 500 .380acp. I have also picked up and loaded .357 Mag, 38 Spl. .308 and 30/30. My ammo stock is growing drastically and I had to add another steel storage rack to hold it all.
    Plenty of primers and powder so I am in good shape.
    I only go to the gun store when they call and ask if I need primers or powder,:dunno:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Let me see if I have this right??

"I only go to the gun store when they call and ask if I need primers or powder,"

Your LGS CALLS you to ask if you need primers or powder???

Do you; Buy that much?
    Pay that much?

Or is your LGS that small???...Bill.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I've figured it out, and this comes from a credible source passed through 14 of my friends and directly to me.

Obama and his DHS cronies are having their buddies at Walmart hold all the 22lr and 9mm behind the counter so they can come in, buy it and flip it on GunBroker while simultaneously releasing hoards of cops selling bad reloads to blow up our guns and slowly diminish the gun supply.

There you have it, folks. You can't make this stuff up.

At this point, it doesn't matter anyway. Walmart isn't going to sell ammo anymore. The pharmacy lady at Meijer said her brother knows a guy who stocks at Target whose girlfriend bought some ammo at Walmart once where they told her this.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Wife and I have about six 50 rd boxes ea of Federal 9mm (her) & .40 (me). That will last us about three months, we have some steel cased Tula for the Michigan woods, and thats it folks (less reserve for SHTF), since I shoot 100 rds a month, no use renewingf my range membership in Aug, if I (we) cannot replace what we practice with. Sucks, since its my hobby, cause I just love to see how close to the bullseye I can place 50 rds every two weeks to the target.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Did this happen at all in '08? Just wondering if the prices got really low after the panic. I wasn't buying anything then.

Problem was after 08, people clung to the selling tactic of "well, I just want what I have in it" to justify continuing to sell at higher costs, whether they bought it high or low.

Look at this current panic: There's ammo that has literally never seen the light of day from the 80s or 90s being uncovered and either shot or sold. The first time I have ever seen a full case of Norinco EVER was during this panic. Always seen twosey-threesey boxes here and there. People are uncovering stuff and selling it.

As for this time around, just like the past panics and the Norinco ammo example: People that buy the ammo aren't going to one day just sell it. The ammunition resellers will, they are investing into the game to make a buck, but a majority of people that bought into it aren't shooters, they are meer gun owners: They don't shoot but once a year, but bought tons of ammo on the advice of their coworkers or drinking buddies to buy buy buy. This ammo will become like the Norinco stuff, hidden away until a later day, maybe even decades later.

Sorry folks, but if you want stuff to come back onto the market, it's going to take time. It needs time for people to truncate back their spending, but also for the demand to fluctuate back to normal. As long as people want to shoot coupled with still panicking people, it's not going to normalize for some time. 08, heck, it was about 2 years for things to get back to "normal". DONT count on it being that fast again.

As a side note: be UBER careful of the ammo you do buy that's recent manufacture... We've had some factory stuff that looked REALLY bad here recently, likely due to lowered QC to try to meet demand. It's been yet another explosion of really bad ammo. Also, more trash passing handloads off as factory ammo, beware.

Top Bottom