• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    There are lots of rich folks out there and are still buying ammo at a high price and because of them, the price won't go down. The people are the ones who set the market price. If they stop buying 9mm at >30cents/round, it should bring the price back down to old retail. But no, they have extra cash to shill and don't know what to do with it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wife and I have about six 50 rd boxes ea of Federal 9mm (her) & .40 (me). That will last us about three months, we have some steel cased Tula for the Michigan woods, and thats it folks (less reserve for SHTF), since I shoot 100 rds a month, no use renewingf my range membership in Aug, if I (we) cannot replace what we practice with. Sucks, since its my hobby, cause I just love to see how close to the bullseye I can place 50 rds every two weeks to the target.

In my opinion it would be an excellent time for you to explore reloading! There are many 9mm cases left at the ranges (we picked up hundreds in the last few weeks) and reloading costs less than new rounds all the time. We cast our bullets so you could add about $.10 for new FMJ bullets - or buy lead for about $.03 a piece (some Glock's shouldn't use lead unless you replace the barrel), but we have about $5 or $6 a hundred in our rounds. You can purchase a "kit" from Lee that has everything you need to reload 9mm for less than $200! At this time primers are somewhat hard to come by but are available!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I blame myself for not buying more over the past few years.

It would have been easy to go into a store, maybe 2 times per month, buy 2+ boxes of each caliber I shoot, and only shoot half of what I would buy.

But it's much more satisfying to blame others. Even when I know it's up to me to take care of me.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I blame myself for not buying more over the past few years.

It would have been easy to go into a store, maybe 2 times per month, buy 2+ boxes of each caliber I shoot, and only shoot half of what I would buy.

But it's much more satisfying to blame others. Even when I know it's up to me to take care of me.
    Well ammo was so plentiful back then, most people didnt consider the chance that we would see such an extreme shortage like this. I feared something, not necessarily this but bc of my fears, every trip to the range I bought a box of ammo to store for every box I shot. I still wish I would have bought more ammo but I had a somewhat respectable start on my supplies. I do have about 300 rounds of .223 that I bought way cheap. Do I wish I had more? Yes, but when prices go back down, then I'll get back to buying ammo.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I haven't had to buy ammo as I wasn't shooting all winter and didn't need more. The last time I needed 9mm fmj I would wait for sales or free shipping and get it for about .21/rnd. Now I'm back at the range and noticed one online place selling it for over $1/rnd. Use mostly federal/eagle. Anyone wanna buy my supply @ $1/rnd? I don't feel threatened by paper targets, so I can afford to part with some. I rewatched 'Taxi Driver' recently. Is it possible to turn target ammo into defensive rnds by cross hatching the lead with a chisel? Seems rather dangerous.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm about the same here. Not much more than 300 per cal.

And going through 100+ rounds in a day is pretty easy, so no shooting until I put something into the strategic reserves. From now on the push for me to reload is a necessity (not that it will solve all shortage issues).

Like many have said, new shooters/gun owners, I'm glad they came onboard. I'm leery shooting next to them, but given time and experience, it will hopefully strengthen our numbers. A higher sustained demand for ammo might get more producers going (but I have no idea what will truly happen). Like everything else, self reliance is key.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I rewatched 'Taxi Driver' recently. Is it possible to turn target ammo into defensive rnds by cross hatching the lead with a chisel? Seems rather dangerous.

Great movie ;) I imagine it could work in a semi-jacketed round. I'd worry about bullet setback. Even a slight bit makes dangerous pressure increases.

No, I wouldn't chance distorting a round by doing anything like that. If it wasn't design to come apart when it was made, I would just hope it wouldn't segment until it hits the target.

Top Bottom