• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Surprised I haven't seen this already on INGO, or if it is, I can't find the right search terms to pull it up.

A woman with an Indiana License to Carry Handgun was attacked at her car in a parking garage in Louisville. As they struggled inside her car he threatened her with a knife and she managed to get her gun out of her purse (!) and shoot him in the neck. It temporarily drove him back, but when was afraid he was going to come back and she kept striking at him, which apparently discouraged the attacker enough that he left. Someone else noticed him leaving the parking garage bleeding from the neck and called the cops.

This link has a video report with close up pictures of the knife and gun. Looks like a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP and a cheap steak knife.
    Video, photos paint timeline of woman who shot would-be robber | WHAS11.com
    :
    "...forced the woman across the center console inside her car.
    ... pulled a knife and demanded the woman's money.
    ... the man stopped demanding money and ordered her into the car and pushed her toward the passenger seat.

The gun,... didn't fire at first and the attacker hit her in the face and held a hand over her mouth with one hand and was moving the knife toward her with the other.
    "Fearing for her life, the victim kept pulling the trigger of her gun, which finally fired, and struck the suspect in the neck."

Yikes. I wonder if the round failed to fire at first, or she was really having trouble getting the safety off?

In any case, good for her!
    Another link: Hero woman shoots her stalker in the throat after desperate chase through mall that began when he started following her in food court | Daily Mail Online

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Good job on her part.

But why did she leave the mall when she seen him following her in the food court?
    Why the kidnapping charge?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I saw that story on the news the other night. Is that a Beretta 950 .25 ACP? I think that's a single action. Maybe she didn't have the hammer cocked at first?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I saw that story on the news the other night. Is that a Beretta 950 .25 ACP? I think that's a single action. Maybe she didn't have the hammer cocked at first?

One of the pictures has a good close-up. It is a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP. It's engraved on the slide.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Good job on her part.

But why did she leave the mall when she seen him following her in the food court?
    Why the kidnapping charge?

People don't always think completely analytically under stress of fear, especially if it is the first time faced with something like this. Just speculating, but her instinct may have been to simply get away, and getting away meant her car.

I don't know Kentucky law, but maybe shoving her into her own car, pushing her into the pax seat, etc, qualifies as more than robbery. I'm sure his attorney will discuss that in court. :)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Say it with me: this is why we don't carry guns with external safeties! This is why we don't carry guns without a round chambered!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am so glad the would be victim prevailed.

I had a Beretta tomcat. It is a tilt barrel design. They are very difficult to rack the slide if you do not use the tilt up barrel feature. It was very well built and 100% reliable. The trouble with it is the same as all pocket pistols, they are too small for good hand hold and all the controls are too tiny, especially during high stress situations. A person is much better off with a slightly larger handgun. Of course this woman is proof that any firearm is better than no firearm.

Whatever you have, you need to be very familiar and practiced. I have put 5 or 10 rounds through my carry piece on a regular basis for close to 40 years. Muscle memory and reflexes with it are as natural as making a fist or eating a bacon sandwich.

Top Bottom