• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Bah! While "Escape from New York" was near the top of the awesome list for that year, the sequel was near the bottom of the barrel.

Now, "Soldier" on the other hand!!! :rockwoot: Mr. Russell proved that acting was more than just memorizing lines. He communicated a force of will with his eyes and facial expression alone in that movie.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Bah! While "Escape from New York" was near the top of the awesome list for that year, the sequel was near the bottom of the barrel.

Now, "Soldier" on the other hand!!! :rockwoot: Mr. Russell proved that acting was more than just memorizing lines. He communicated a force of will with his eyes and facial expression alone in that movie.

Thanks! I was trying like crazy to remember what that movie title was (without giving up and going to imdb) and poof, there it is! Now THAT was a great movie. Of course, I'm apparently one of the few who also liked Overboard too. While I'm at it, Escape From LA truly was a horribly done movie, but Snake still had a few good lines in it to *almost* make it worth watching when there's nothing else on TV.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome for Kurt Russell. I loved Escape from New York. The second one wasn't as good as the first, but I'd watch a III.

Glad to see that not all of Hollywood are liberal Douche's.

CptCrik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Bloomington, Indiana
    It is about time that more people out of Hollywood are being vocal in their support of guns. Lord knows there are enough of them speaking their minds who are anti-gun. We need to balance it out some!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    It is about time that more people out of Hollywood are being vocal in their support of guns. Lord knows there are enough of them speaking their minds who are anti-gun. We need to balance it out some!

Right who else in Hollyweird or celebreties are pro 2A? You got Brad Pitt and Angelia Jolie, Johnny Depp, The Nuge, Bruce Willis, who else........?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Right who else in Hollyweird or celebreties are pro 2A? You got Brad Pitt and Angelia Jolie, Johnny Depp, The Nuge, Bruce Willis, who else........?
    Tom-Selleck.png

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Already knew KR was pro-gun.
    Say what you will about some of his movies ("Tango and Cash" for one), he has always swum against the tide of standard Hollyweird groupthink.
    Also, The Thing is still an awesome movie.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I normally hate sequels, but THIS is a prequel that is awesome!

The Thing (2011) - IMDb

It shows what happened to the Norwegians with an American or two (2) thrown in. They put up a better fight than Kurt Russell did (no offense to Kurt.)

Better yet, watch Kurt then watch Mary E Winstead.

But yes, Kurt's "The Thing" is still a great movie!

Doug

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I normally hate sequels, but THIS is a prequel that is awesome!

The Thing (2011) - IMDb

It shows what happened to the Norwegians with an American or two (2) thrown in. They put up a better fight than Kurt Russell did (no offense to Kurt.)

Better yet, watch Kurt then watch Mary E Winstead.

But yes, Kurt's "The Thing" is still a great movie!

Doug

Hard to argue about tastes, but the KR version still is better to me, notwithstanding the somewhat lower key action or because of the lack of a single woman (yes, Mary W. is quite attractive) on its cast, but because of the sense of dread and uncertainty, coupled with Bruce Bottin's amazing practical special effects.
    It's also cool how John Carpenter decided to leave the conclusion so bleak and ambiguous.
    The KR version is so good for the same reason that the original Alien is so great...the sense that anything could happen at any time, and what could be more horrific than having your own body actually hijacked by a malevolent force?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

I believe Samuel Jackson and Sam Elliot.

The original black and white "The Thing" is more my favorite. Kurt Russell in "Tombstone" was one of his best if not best performance. Also like him as "Stuntman Mike" in Death Proof….you could just tell he had fun in that movie.

More pro gun stars….

Eric Clapton

James Earl Jones

Christian Slater

Ice-T

Clint Eastward

Tom Selleck

Joe Perry

Chuck Norris

Gary Sinise

Joe Mantega

Adam Baldwin

Kevin Sorbo

R. Lee Armey

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hard to argue about tastes, but the KR version still is better to me, notwithstanding the somewhat lower key action or because of the lack of a single woman (yes, Mary W. is quite attractive) on its cast, but because of the sense of dread and uncertainty, coupled with Bruce Bottin's amazing practical special effects.
    It's also cool how John Carpenter decided to leave the conclusion so bleak and ambiguous.
    The KR version is so good for the same reason that the original Alien is so great...the sense that anything could happen at any time, and what could be more horrific than having your own body actually hijacked by a malevolent force?

Ok. I do agree that John Carpenters version was great! No argument there. But the prequel with Mary added a wonderful piece of the puzzle to the first movie. It also has one of my absolute, favorite movie scenes in it. It is this one (1) scene that for me is a piece of movie and acting perfection.

On a side note it is the exact same reason I love Soldier so much! Kurts facial expressions being used to communicate with the audience. One of the top plateau's of acting in my opinion in Soldier.

Now on to the scene. In this scene Mary, who's character speaks no Norwegian, is outside a door with the alien on the other side. With her is Lars, who speaks NO English. However, the two look at one another, and in THAT MOMENT each one just knows the other has their back and they can depend on the other not to let them down! From that moment forward those two work in perfect harmony. Tragically, it is Lars who is "later" killed by Donald Moffat's character in 1982's The Thing. But I just love that scene. The director set up a perfect, nonverbal moment with Mary and Lars pulling it off magically. And again, it is that same magick that Kurt brings to Soldier.

Both are great, for different reasons.

Doug

Top Bottom