Koran Burner fired from his JOB (Violation of 1A?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    This would be true if the company would stay out of this persons personal business. Your job is a job. Nothing more nothing less. They do not control your life off "the clock."

It depends. If you have a contract for employment, some contracts have clauses dealing with behavior off the clock. How many LEO's on here have rules about "conduct unbecoming" or something similar?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    It depends. If you have a contract for employment, some contracts have clauses dealing with behavior off the clock. How many LEO's on here have rules about "conduct unbecoming" or something similar?

Please show me a contract that specifically states you cannot burn paper or another religions version of a bible.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Purely hypothetical but using your flawed logic to prove a point. Your wifes mothers sisters brothers uncle took a picture of you drinking and posted it on facebook and his mistress works with,your boss

Why should your boss have to pay to a guy who does something he doesn't agree with?

Lots of people have been fired for the exact thing you just posted.

Is it fair? Doesn't seem so. Then again, life isn't fair.

Maybe you should work for a guy who enjoys drinking.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Even in Indiana, a government can rarely get away with firing a non-appointed employee without scads of paperwork and voluminous proof of non-compliance with regulations. Unless the act is criminal or so eggregious it violates a "no-tolerance" rule, I don't see how the employer could get away with firing him for only a single violation of policy.

Wrong. You can lose your government job in just a few hours if you do something that the higher-ups find politically-offensive. It's especially prevalent in the election season. Charming system they've got set up. :xmad:

How did they find out you were drinking at home?

In this day and age, it's not hard. Perhaps someone posted a comment on a social networking site, or had a buddy over to have a few beers, or the brass asked about it and they answered truthfully. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't understand the logic here.

An employer/employee relationship should be made up of two voluntary parties. I as an employee can quit any time I want, with or without reason, and with or without notice. Many here think that it it should take an act of congress to fire an employee regardless of how egregious the employee's conduct. Why should I as an employee have free reign to quit at any whim but my employer not be able to fire me at any whim?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Why should your boss have to pay to a guy who does something he doesn't agree with?

Lots of people have been fired for the exact thing you just posted.

Is it fair? Doesn't seem so. Then again, life isn't fair.

Maybe you should work for a guy who enjoys drinking.

Maybe you should read my posts again as none of them said or implied they were about me.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    That's why facebook is the devil.

I'd fire people if I found out they had a facebook profile.

Are you serious here? That would be an easy way to have a suit filed against you if you're not joking :twocents:

Please show me a contract that specifically states you cannot burn paper or another religions version of a bible.

Doesn't matter. "Conduct Unbecoming" can be twisted to mean ANYTHING, even the OC of a firearm off-duty. That's the "beauty" of it. They can say that you were engaging in "Conduct Unbecoming" and BANG, you're jobless.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They dont have to but they cant take your personal time and use it against you as a condition of your employment

What's wrong with having conditions of employment? I put conditions on my employer. They must pay me for work I do, they must treat me well, etc. If they fail to meet those conditions, than I can choose to work somewhere else. Just as a 2nd amendment supporter wouldn't go to work for the Brady campaign, why should the Brady campaign hire an NRA member?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I don't understand the logic here.

An employer/employee relationship should be made up of two voluntary parties. I as an employee can quit any time I want, with or without reason, and with or without notice. Many here think that it it should take an act of congress to fire an employee regardless of how egregious the employee's conduct. Why should I as an employee have free reign to quit at any whim but my employer not be able to fire me at any whim?

Why shouldnt an employee be allowed to sue some jerk that works in a company that fired him during his pursuit of happiness? If this were a perfect world you would be making a valid point. I dont want to seems dismissive ....
    The point is you have to have a job. What I do when I am not at work is my business. It is called freedom. It is not freedom as long as your boss doesnt find out or someone doesnt say anything.
    I guess I see it as there is an agreement between my employer and I to work. When I applied for the job, there wasnt a clause saying,i could and could not do what or pursue whatever makes me happy in my free time.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    What's wrong with having conditions of employment? I put conditions on my employer. They must pay me for work I do, they must treat me well, etc. If they fail to meet those conditions, than I can choose to work somewhere else. Just as a 2nd amendment supporter wouldn't go to work for the Brady campaign, why should the Brady campaign hire an NRA member?

Within reason there are conditions of employment that you agree to. Again, please show me the employee handbook that says you cannot burn a book.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Why shouldnt an employee be allowed to sue some jerk that works in a company that fired him during his pursuit of happiness? If this were a perfect world you would be making a valid point. I dont want to seems dismissive ....
    The point is you have to have a job. What I do when I am not at work is my business. It is called freedom. It is not freedom as long as your boss doesnt find out or someone doesnt say anything.
    I guess I see it as there is an agreement between my employer and I to work. When I applied for the job, there wasnt a clause saying,i could and could not do what or pursue whatever makes me happy in my free time.

No he shouldn't. You can still pursue your happiness at a number of different endeavours.

You don't HAVE to have a job where someone pays you.

Like I said before, if you don't want to be fired, then you have to play by the boss's rules.

Why anyone would WANT to work for a boss like that is beyond me though.

Don't like the rules, go work someplace where the rules fit your lifestyle.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Within reason there are conditions of employment that you agree to. Again, please show me the employee handbook that says you cannot burn a book.

You are equating the burning of a koran as merely "burning a book". What would your opinion be if a soldier burnt a flag? Would it be just "burning a piece of cloth"?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Not 100% serious, but if I employ fewer than 15 people I can fire them for dressing funny.

If you were a jerk, yes you could. I am hoping and assuming you are not.
    I guess no one gets to see what losing a job can do to a person or a family. Its not all about the almighty dollar. Its about be profitable while being a good steward and practicing beliefs of whatever religion you call your own.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you were a jerk, yes you could. I am hoping and assuming you are not.
    I guess no one gets to see what losing a job can do to a person or a family. Its not all about the almighty dollar. Its about be profitable while being a good steward and practicing beliefs of whatever religion you call your own.

Could and should are not the same thing.

I should be a good guy, but I could be a jerk all day if I felt like it. I might be working by myself, but hey, that's the consequence.

Top Bottom