KODIAK BEAR charged from 12 feet and taken with an M&P10MM.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So I listened to the entire podcast. A brief synopsis:

He was bow hunting and accompanied by a buddy and guide, both with rifles. He was carrying an M&P 2.0 with 220gr Underwood Hard Cast.

He was approaching the bear attempting to take a shot with his bow, but it spooked. He switched to his buddy's rifle, and took a shot, which they later determined hit the bear in the hind leg. Bear ran off, and they tracked it several miles.

They ultimately came upon the bear in some dense undergrowth. Bear charged his buddy who shot it in the chest at close range with his rifle. Buddy then fell over and the bear kept coming. Buddy fired again, but it's unclear from the story if he hit it or not. Tyce then took multiple (3?) shots with his 10mm handgun, striking the bear. From the way he described it, it sounded like he was aiming at the body (he said it was a big target), but he never actually specified where the handgun rounds impacted on the bear. The bear then fell and rolled down a hill. The guide approached it, poked it, and it reacted so the guide shot it behind the shoulder point blank with a rifle, finally finishing it off.

I'd like to know:
    a.) How much damage did his buddy's close-range chest shot with the rifle do, and how much of a factor was that towards getting the stop?
    b.) Where did the handgun rounds impact and what vitals did they hit?

Ultimately yes, the handgun shots likely made the difference between life and death for his buddy. It's a good thing he had it, was proficient with it under extreme pressure, and didn't hesitate to use it. I definitely wouldn't take this story as a endorsement to go after a brown bear armed with nothing but a 10mm handgun, though.
    Ok now it makes sense.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

He was bow hunting and accompanied by a buddy and guide, both with rifles. He was carrying an M&P 2.0 with 220gr Underwood Hard Cast.

He was approaching the bear attempting to take a shot with his bow, but it spooked. He switched to his buddy's rifle, and took a shot, which they later determined hit the bear in the hind leg. Bear ran off, and they tracked it several miles.

They ultimately came upon the bear in some dense undergrowth. Bear charged his buddy who shot it in the chest at close range with his rifle. Buddy then fell over and the bear kept coming. Buddy fired again, but it's unclear from the story if he hit it or not. Tyce then took multiple (3?) shots with his 10mm handgun, striking the bear. From the way he described it, it sounded like he was aiming at the body (he said it was a big target), but he never actually specified where the handgun rounds impacted on the bear. The bear then fell and rolled down a hill. The guide approached it, poked it, and it reacted so the guide shot it behind the shoulder point blank with a rifle, finally finishing it off.

I'd like to know:
    a.) How much damage did his buddy's close-range chest shot with the rifle do, and how much of a factor was that towards getting the stop?

Ultimately yes, the handgun shots likely made the difference between life and death for his buddy. It's a good thing he had it, was proficient with it under extreme pressure, and didn't hesitate to use it. I definitely wouldn't take this story as a endorsement to go after a brown bear armed with nothing but a 10mm handgun, though.
    Well after you reading to us, sounds much like a spoof to gain attention to the guy with the handgun.. someone trying to gain notoriety for something he actually didn't do.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    In this particular instance it sounds like multiple hits and no telling really which of those rounds may have done him in. Or possibly a combination of rounds. But the guys that live in Alaska will tell you that the G20 is a very common sidearm

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Well after you reading to us, sounds much like a spoof to gain attention to the guy with the handgun.. someone trying to gain notoriety for something he actually didn't do.
    I didn't get that feeling from listening to him. It sounds like he's a pretty experienced hunter and some stuff just went sideways on this one and he had to adapt. I think he was just trying to share an accurate account of what happened, not necessarily paint himself like a hero, nor did he at any point claim that his handgun alone is what stopped the bear. Unfortunately, the Instagram headline from S&W kinda makes it easy for people to assume that's what happened, especially if they don't have the time to listen to the full podcast.

JoeSig

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2024
    DeMotte, IN
    I wonder if S&W will send him anything outside of the publicity shoutout. A slide or magazine baseplate with some sort of bear engraving would be neat. Not often that Smokey the Bear gets smoked with a handgun. Maybe some new pants for everyone who was there, at least.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In this particular instance it sounds like multiple hits and no telling really which of those rounds may have done him in. Or possibly a combination of rounds. But the guys that live in Alaska will tell you that the G20 is a very common sidearm
    Two of the guys I grew up with, take a bear with bow trip every two years.
    On those trips they have met a few people that hunt bears with spears.
    Both of those guys carry Glock 10MM's, I don't believe they have ever had to use them.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I'd like to know:

a) I have no additional information, just speculating but if the rifle shot actually hit the bear in the chest, then it was likely a single lung hit or a heart and one lung hit given the likely positioning of the bear. It is possible the bear took a heart hit and was still alive through the pistol shots until the final rifle shot but from the description, it sounds like a single lung hit was more likely. A bear could likely live a long time and do a lot of damage before succumbing to such a hit.

b) I'd be as interested in knowing how much penetration he got with the 10MM loads.

Also, a pet peeve of mine, point blank range does not mean close range as it is commonly misused. Point blank range is the MAXIMUM range at which a given cartridge is no more than half a target above or below the point of aim. PBR depends on both the cartridge and size of the target but even the pistol likely has a PBR of a 100 yards or more with a target the size of a bear's vital zone. With the rifle, PBR is likely at least couple hundred yards and could easily be 400 depending on the caliber.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That really is a nice looking bear! I’m just bewildered at how many poorly placed shots he and his buddy took to finally bring down the bear. Notwithstanding any comment, I just don’t get bow hunting for large bears like this. :dunno:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a difference between hunting with a handgun for a big bear, and using a handgun as a latch ditch self defense weapon.

10MM is the smallest I would rely on for self defense vrs bear.

However, anything is better then nothing.

Top Bottom