Knife fighting/training open discussion of methods.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Reach is just one of the options to use to determine how to approach a Knife Fight. You also need to include Speed, Strength, Flexibility, Stamina, and Determination into the Loop on whether I really want to try this persons abilities out...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Share?!? I'm always interested in knife tactics, hand to hand combatives.

Jack McVicker. You can google him and find out plenty. Also, standard disclaimer about the opinions of the author, etc. If you really want to see someone who is AMAZING with hands, feet, sticks, knives... he would blow your mind. And a tremendous TEACHER.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Jack McVicker. You can google him and find out plenty. Also, standard disclaimer about the opinions of the author, etc. If you really want to see someone who is AMAZING with hands, feet, sticks, knives... he would blow your mind. And a tremendous TEACHER.
    I've heard the name, but that's about it. Does he train in the IN region any?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yep. Same guy. He tore me apart, but after a few months of it I could almost always land a wrist cut or something else that wouldn't keep me alive, but more than likely would be fatal to him as well, just a few minutes later than me.

Working with him and his teaching style, trying everything, taking what works, is a tremendous experience and eye-opener.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That's not too bad a drive for me. Is he "reasonable" in cost for classes? Highly relative question I know. :rolleyes:

We have people who come from Indy, including the northeast corner, and from Evansville. Adding in the fuel costs, that's pretty expensive... but they do it and clearly think it's worth it.

I can arrange a few free trial classes for you if you're interested, just PM me and we can work it out.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    We have people who come from Indy, including the northeast corner, and from Evansville. Adding in the fuel costs, that's pretty expensive... but they do it and clearly think it's worth it.

I can arrange a few free trial classes for you if you're interested, just PM me and we can work it out.
    I'll get on his pages and see when I can meet up for a class. Is it a regular meeting group?

Training has been at the bad end of scheduling constraints lately and for a couple more years sadly (working full time, working on completing 2 degrees full time as well.) When I have more time and money I will certainly be taking in a LOT more civilian training and try my hand in pistol competitions since I've never done it. That and with sitting at desks so much recently I've really gotten "out of shape" and would like a little advanced planning to try to practice my foot work and build a little more endurance before taking more professional instruction.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'll get on his pages and see when I can meet up for a class. Is it a regular meeting group?

Training has been at the bad end of scheduling constraints lately and for a couple more years sadly (working full time, working on completing 2 degrees full time as well.) When I have more time and money I will certainly be taking in a LOT more civilian training and try my hand in pistol competitions since I've never done it. That and with sitting at desks so much recently I've really gotten "out of shape" and would like a little advanced planning to try to practice my foot work and build a little more endurance before taking more professional instruction.

There are classes in Terre Haute every evening Monday through Thursday, and invite-only training at other times and on other days. As I'm sure rockhopper will attest, Jack creates a GREAT training environment. Everyone is friendly, helps each other, and learns. I've trained lots of places over the years, and this is completely different.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are classes in Terre Haute every evening Monday through Thursday, and invite-only training at other times and on other days. As I'm sure rockhopper will attest, Jack creates a GREAT training environment. Everyone is friendly, helps each other, and learns. I've trained lots of places over the years, and this is completely different.
    As long as it's not one of those "static repetitious technique" classes, I'm definitely interested. It's much more effective in learning to pit against someone trying to counter or attack you. What times do you meet during the week? I have evening classes during the summer.:(

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As long as it's not one of those "static repetitious technique" classes, I'm definitely interested. It's much more effective in learning to pit against someone trying to counter or attack you. What times do you meet during the week? I have evening classes during the summer.:(

Well, he has morning classes on Monday and Thursday -- 10am -- but I'm usually not there for that one. Work gets in the way. I can still arrange it, but wouldn't be there.

As to repetitions, lots of them. Nothing resembling static, though. Live, resisting partners. Light resistance, for beginners, all the way up to "katie, bar the door" for more advanced. Knife fights against multiple attackers. Bar fights where someone tosses in a knife, or a stick, or a chair, or a couple of friends, or...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Question is this more of a Hand to hand thing or more CQB?!

We don't train with guns, but he might entertain the possibility of doing at least training gun/retention work. I'd be happy to chat about it with him, if people are interested in that. Knives and sticks are a regular part of class, including live, full speed sparring.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, he has morning classes on Monday and Thursday -- 10am -- but I'm usually not there for that one. Work gets in the way. I can still arrange it, but wouldn't be there.

As to repetitions, lots of them. Nothing resembling static, though. Live, resisting partners. Light resistance, for beginners, all the way up to "katie, bar the door" for more advanced. Knife fights against multiple attackers. Bar fights where someone tosses in a knife, or a stick, or a chair, or a couple of friends, or...
    Certainly sounds like excellent hand to hand/knife training. I wouldn't be able to hit the AM one either. I work during the days, classes in evenings, and either HW or RSO on weekends. I have to schedule time for the bathroom. :n00b:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Certainly sounds like excellent hand to hand/knife training. I wouldn't be able to hit the AM one either. I work during the days, classes in evenings, and either HW or RSO on weekends. I have to schedule time for the bathroom. :n00b:

He does private lessons, but that's pretty steep. Worth it, but for a full-time college student commuting from Indy (?), pretty steep.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We don't train with guns, but he might entertain the possibility of doing at least training gun/retention work. I'd be happy to chat about it with him, if people are interested in that. Knives and sticks are a regular part of class, including live, full speed sparring.
    I think there would be a pretty decent size market to fill on Firearms Retention work...

Top Bottom