• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I would MUCH prefer to carry OWB for any number of reasons. I just don't want to deal with the inevitable MWG calls.

You assume there will be any. I've carried just about everywhere openly, and have never had a man with a gun call. This includes all around Purdue's campus ( off campus, in surrounding west lafayette ) even going to wal-mart at 5-6pm during it's busiest hour. Not a single complaint, call, or anything.

Infact, a rather pretty girl smiled at me and said hi.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Thanks for giving your experience. Since I was a student up there a few years ago, I have a question. When you say all around Purdue's campus, do you mean actually on the school property, on campus? I am not sure when I read the statutes if carrying on a public state owned campus is permitted. I just wanted to understand a little more detail about your experience.

I am somewhat inclinded to lean toward wanting to open carry more. It seems like a great way for people to get familiar with upstanding citizens carrying defensive weapons. Besides, you may get oppotunities to talk about why it makes sense for you to carry to people who are curious.

As for OC vs. CC, I usually CC just because that is what I was used to from Florida. I have OC once or twice (one the west side of Indy) without any issue. I don't think that statistically one or the other makes you any safer. I think the mindset of being aware of your surroundings and avoiding trouble is more important than your carry method.

You assume there will be any. I've carried just about everywhere openly, and have never had a man with a gun call. This includes all around Purdue's campus ( off campus, in surrounding west lafayette ) even going to wal-mart at 5-6pm during it's busiest hour. Not a single complaint, call, or anything.

Infact, a rather pretty girl smiled at me and said hi.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1 Ruiner. Inevitable seems more like self induced fear than realistic. Of course, I wont try to convince a CCer to OC, but if MWG calls are the only thing stopping you....then there's nothing stopping you. My experience has been the same as Ruiners. Perhaps not as many years OCing, but no problems yet.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    +1 Ruiner. Inevitable seems more like self induced fear than realistic. Of course, I wont try to convince a CCer to OC, but if MWG calls are the only thing stopping you....then there's nothing stopping you. My experience has been the same as Ruiners. Perhaps not as many years OCing, but no problems yet.

That's it, I am going to have to take you out to lunch and see how people respond to your OC. Maybe Trojan Horse?

techres

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's it, I am going to have to take you out to lunch and see how people respond to your OC. Maybe Trojan Horse?

techres

Just occurred to me that at a place called Trojan Horse it would make more sense to carry concealed. :lmfao:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got nothin'! Man, this job nonsense has really drained the ol' smarta** reservoir I usually maintain. I'm disappointing myself!

I'm all about the open carry get-togethers, by the way. We've done them a few times in Indy with zero problems.

Thanks for giving your experience. Since I was a student up there a few years ago, I have a question. When you say all around Purdue's campus, do you mean actually on the school property, on campus? I am not sure when I read the statutes if carrying on a public state owned campus is permitted.

There is no prohibition on carry on college campuses. The IC prohibition refers to "schools," which in the parlance of the IC means K-12 and some daycares and preschools. It does not refer to colleges or the like.

Of course, most colleges have their own rules barring firearms on campus. I don't know what the rules are at Purdue.

Last edited by a moderator:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    No bromance at all. I just want to see Soundslikejosh stroll Kirkwood without a comment or glance. Really. Maybe the homeless guys will even be less chatty.

Oh, and there is always a good reason to get Gyros at the Trojan Horse.
    MMmmmmmm!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How about the library? Nobody said a word. Honest. But then again it is a library.

That is especially funny! You know the one of the heads of the library lost her job a few months back because she brought in a firearm to do a FTF sale in her office. They claimed a "no-firearms" policy, etc. In reality, everyone simply hated her because of her.

Anyways, in the paper they were clear that they have a "policy". I still carry every week there once or twice. And no one could know since there are no signs that would be ignored anyways.

But with the two new "security stations" with the unarmed guys at the doors now, I am glad to hear they either don't care or don't notice.

That is great.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yea, I noticed the "security guard." I felt comforted to know he was there. I could have carried a rocket launcher over my shoulder and waited for the elevator, he would have never noticed. Maybe they don't have a policy about that.

I figure, there is no sign outside, no law against it, what do I have to loose?

I don't know why so many are concerned about a confrontation regarding OC, many of us here have girlfriends or wives. Could any OC trauma possibly trump that? As far as I am concerned, that could be the soft part of my day.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    BTW, I appreciate you keeping me up on the local news. I tried reading the Herald Times and its just really hard to muster. I do not make it a habit. Thus, I catch state and national news online but miss out on local stuff, partly also because you have to pay to read the HT on their website. WTFIAFNWSPPR!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    BTW, I appreciate you keeping me up on the local news. I tried reading the Herald Times and its just really hard to muster. I do not make it a habit. Thus, I catch state and national news online but miss out on local stuff, partly also because you have to pay to read the HT on their website. WTFIAFNWSPPR!

I was told the FTF story second hand and cannot find a web link to anything. I will try and lock down where that story came from.

As for the HT, I stopped getting it myself, but then the wife got a job that requires it and so we have it again. If anything interesting happens and I can read it, I will be sure to not link to it but actually quote it since the links all require payment.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, and BTW, I am OC'ing tonight at work. But since I am the only one here, and am not likely to stop anywhere on the way home, it hardly counts.

Maybe another drunken college student will try and break into my car again to take a nap. Then I will have plenty of visitors...

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I strive to keep it concealed.

BUT. If the wind becomes unruly for a sec, or my cover shirt gets twisted, I don't sweat it at all.

Somebody may or may not get a glimpse of gun or holster. It has never caused a problem,

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    well i would try to keep it concealed. It can cause a fuss if the wrong person sees it. And desides to call the LE then you end up with a big cluster ****. Like i had on the way home from the range with my 2 friends in my car it was not fun to say the least. but oc is leagel so i wouldnt worry to much just try not to let it flash too much ya know

Last edited:
    Top Bottom