• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    New to the shooting hobby and have a couple Kimbers the Eclipse Custom 2 and the Ultra Rapter 2 both have just a few hundred rounds fired but have been really accurate with no problems. You can read some fairly negative feed back on the Kimbers and just wondering what to expect? In my opinion both were reasonably priced around 1,000 each and both are really nice looking. Whats the catch? Thanks

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I owned a Kimber once. It was the Ultra CDP, I had nothing but problems with it, and it forever turned me off on Kimber 1911's.
    I have since read that Kimber requires a 500 round break in period, I don't know if there is any truth to that, I just know for what they cost, they should run right out of the box.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I guess it is all a matter of opinion and/or experience. My Kimber is reliable, and is the most accurate gun I own. If someone told me I could only keep one of my guns, it would be the Kimber.

The whole deal about 500 round break-in is fairly common in the 1911 world. I have a Springfield that needed to go back to the factory for reliability problems. The first question they asked was whether it had over 500 rounds through it. They fixed it, by the way. They took it from a 13% failure rate to 100% reliable. That's the thing about 1911's. If you aren't patient enough to work with them and get them running right, perhaps you are better off buying a Glock, IMHO.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have owned several Kimbers and for the most part they have been great pistols I only had problems with one of the early ones, which oddly enough is what everybody was saying were the best. I have had 2 Tac Pro II just outstanding guns, Kimber Aegis Pro in 9mm what a great shooter It did take about 50 rounds of hot ammo to slick it up but Kimber does build guns with tight tolerances and I guess a little break in doesn't bother me I know it does some people.

My wife has a 9mm Kimber team Match that has been completely trouble free and a nice shooter very accurate. plus I have had several others as well.

Overall my experience has been positive and I have no problem buying them again but I do have to say that the internal part fit is hit and miss the 2 kimbers I have now came with great triggers and so did the tac Pros but I have seen some with crappy triggers out of the box even some of their more expensive pistols.

My main grievance is the quality of the internals but as far as fit and finish of the slide frame and barrel for accuracy I think they do an excellent job, Much better then most of the other pistols out there in similar price range. I would rather have that and have to do a little break in :twocents:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I guess it is all a matter of opinion and/or experience. My Kimber is reliable, and is the most accurate gun I own. If someone told me I could only keep one of my guns, it would be the Kimber.

The whole deal about 500 round break-in is fairly common in the 1911 world. I have a Springfield that needed to go back to the factory for reliability problems. The first question they asked was whether it had over 500 rounds through it. They fixed it, by the way. They took it from a 13% failure rate to 100% reliable. That's the thing about 1911's. If you aren't patient enough to work with them and get them running right, perhaps you are better off buying a Glock, IMHO.

:rolleyes:

Most Glocks........will outrun/out shoot yer over-priced Kimber......rite out the box.......:):......clean or dirty......it don't give a sh*t......:):

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    :rolleyes:

Most Glocks........will outrun/out shoot yer over-priced Kimber......rite out the box.......:):......clean or dirty......it don't give a sh*t......:):

I also am a Glock owner. I concede the Glock will run clean or dirty, new or old. Maybe you have some magic touch I don't, but after putting thousands of rounds up range from Kimbers, Colt, Springfield, Sigs and Glock, I guarantee you none of those other pistols in my hands will "out shoot" my Kimber, if "out shoot" means accuracy. Disparage it all you want, my Kimber is a tack driver.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I also am a Glock owner. I concede the Glock will run clean or dirty, new or old. Maybe you have some magic touch I don't, but after putting thousands of rounds up range from Kimbers, Colt, Springfield, Sigs and Glock, I guarantee you none of those other pistols in my hands will "out shoot" my Kimber, if "out shoot" means accuracy. Disparage it all you want, my Kimber is a tack driver.

What he said!

Dave

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    All my Kimbers have been super accurate, 100% reliable, and smooth as silk.
    In all fairness my Custom II has a lot of rounds through it and on last complete pull down and clean I am noticing a lot of wear on the MIM parts. It's still running fantastic BUT I know I'm looking at around $300 to rebuild it. I won't fancy it up. Just put it into good operating order and shoot it more.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

I could give a ratz 'bout drive'n tacks dude.....:rolleyes:......ain't a paper-punch'r ....like most ya'll in here......if I can put a mag full, on'a 9" paper plate tack'd on yer chest @ 5-10' till my finger quits twitch'n.......at's really all I'm concern'd about......know whut I mean?

:dunno: YOU like'em......BUY'em......they waay mo' better guns in their over hype'd $$ range......

Oh....yeah.......I AM a 1911 fan......jus'so ya don't get confused..........

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have owned 17 of them.
    Wow!

What he ^ said!

I currently own four. All but the newest one has multiple thousands through it. Accurate as the day is long. The heavier ones are more pleasing to the hand to shoot... the light framed 3" ones can bark with hot loads. It's all personal preference, and ain't it great we've got a CHOICE?!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Wow!

What he ^ said!

I currently own four. All but the newest one has multiple thousands through it. Accurate as the day is long. The heavier ones are more pleasing to the hand to shoot... the light framed 3" ones can bark with hot loads. It's all personal preference, and ain't it great we've got a CHOICE?!

I see a Glock in yer future.........:):

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I've owned a few. I had some problems with one that had an external extractor that failed and another that the Swartz safety plunger broke on. Turned my pretty $1000 TLE into an attractive paperweight. I think it is important to note that Both of these issues occurred on designs that are supposed to have been "improvements" on the original. Seems like I remember customers service being pretty lousy as well. That was several years ago though.

I pretty much stick with A1's that have improved sights and no cast internals now.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I see a Glock in yer future.........:):

All kidding aside, I'll tell you what I've told many others. If they ever make one that fits my hand and points as naturally as my 1911s do, I'll own it.
    Even the single stacked 36 is too oddly canted in the grip and too long from front strap to back strap to fit right.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    All kidding aside, I'll tell you what I've told many others. If they ever make one that fits my hand and points as naturally as my 1911s do, I'll own it.
    Even the single stacked 36 is too oddly canted in the grip and too long from front strap to back strap to fit right.

:):.....I .....AM......a 1911 fan.......jus' CAIN't buy whut I want.......YET.......:):

Top Bottom