• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Altair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indiana
    If the other guns are fine I suspect it has more to do with handling the gun and not oiling it before storage. As has been pointed out, stainless guns are not rust proof they are just less prone to rust.

It can't hurt to contact Kimber about it and see what they suggest or what they will do for you.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    From Kimber:
    The key is moderation. Not enough oil and your gun may not function properly and lead to undo wear. Too much oil and you risk attracting damaging dirtand debris to the bearing surfaces causing undowear and potential functioning problems. All metalparts even Stainless Steel should be lightlylubricated because RUST IS NEGLECT! Cloths impregnated with silicone are good for thispurpose.4. For long term storage or if you live in aparticularly damp or salty area, a good qualityrust preventative should be used. Werecommend Shooters Choice Rust Prevent.

I was surprised when I read that.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/1911Fullsize45.pdf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Cincy
    i have never had this problem with any other stainless gun...

+1. I have three stainless DW 1911s and three stainless Smith revos, all with NO corrosion. And they are stored dry. Even my many blued guns have been in my safe for years with no corrosion issues. Yet you read numerous accounts of Kimbers rusting away. Kimber uses inferior processes (barrels left in the white... they "look" stainless) and deceptive advertising to trick people that a stainless Kimber is "stainless".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Cincy
    From Kimber:
    The key is moderation. Not enough oil and your gun may not function properly and lead to undo wear. Too much oil and you risk attracting damaging dirtand debris to the bearing surfaces causing undowear and potential functioning problems. All metalparts even Stainless Steel should be lightlylubricated because RUST IS NEGLECT! Cloths impregnated with silicone are good for thispurpose.4. For long term storage or if you live in aparticularly damp or salty area, a good qualityrust preventative should be used. Werecommend Shooters Choice Rust Prevent.

Kimbers statement that rust is neglect is their CYA to relieve themselves of responsibility for their inferior products.

Grifd21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2014
    Bloomington
    From Kimber:

This is interesting... I've got a Kimber TLE/RL and haven't had any issues at all, but will probably be more cautious when I clean and put away. Thx for sharing!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I found similar spots last week on a second matte finish SW1911. The guns get rubbed down with silicon cloth. I ordered some moisture packs for the safe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well I found similar spots last week on a second matte finish SW1911. The guns get rubbed down with silicon cloth. I ordered some moisture packs for the safe.

I always opt for the stainless versions if they are available. They all rust, normally about the time you think they won't.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was raised with carbon steel firearms. I am in the habit of keeping everything wiped down with a lightly oiled rag, even Nickle plated and stainless guns. Some peoples sweat is poison to anything metal, others sweat does not seem to matter. I guess all the olive oil, garlic and pasta keeps me pretty ph neutral.

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure how I missed this the first time around. But yup, depending on the composition of the stainless, it can and will rust. If it's magnetic, it has a good chance to rust. Also the bead blasted finish isn't helping, when blasted it creates tiny little pits which make it easier for rust to start. If it were polished, it's a lot less likely to rust. I just purchased an SR1911 fully aware of the issues they've had for rust. Right off the shelf after only sitting in the case since xmas eve, the one I bought had rust in the laser etching under the frame about reading the manual. Not a big deal to me, because I went with the stainless mainly for my ability to bead blast the rust off if and when it ever starts. Just keep it oiled like any other non 'painted' finish, it'll hold out a little longer than bluing, but don't forget to wipe it down after handling...

Top Bottom