• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    i looked at the rossi .22/410 combo and it left some to be desired. I'm not sure what, I just didn't care for it. Also, I have no interest in the shotgun portion of it. Shotguns just don't do it for me. :) I am taking Aidan to the 1500 Sunday so he can hopefully "try on" a few rifles and see what fits good. Hopefully nothing too pricey. I just plan on picking something up for his bday in October.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    When my first greatniece was born I bought a Chipmunk and gave it to her dad to teach her when she gets old enough. It reminds me a great deal of the old Winchester single-shot BA my dad taught us with, but in a much smaller and handier size. Its simple receiver sight and manual "wing" safety are nearly identical.

I'm another firm believer that a manual action of some type, preferably one that requires a separate cocking step, is an ideal intro tool for instilling the basics of range safety and marksmanship in new shooters, especially children. I've found that using reactive targets at first to provide some visual and audible "immediate gratification" for correct execution also makes for a great teaching aid.

FWIW, one can always open up a too-small aperture with a drill and bit.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Well I am bumping this back up. The more I think about it, the more I want to get a rifle for him that has a capacity greater than one. We got some info at the last 1500 on the Appleseed. He seems very interested and I just don't see how one could get through an Appleseed with a single shot gun. I think we are going back out this weekend and shopping around for a rifle for him. Thanks again for all the help.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMO, "Appleseed" training would be better left until the child has already been introduced to and understands the basics of firearms/range safety and the fundamentals of Marksmanship.

The objectives of the two processes are different: The "Appleseed" course appears to be geared more towards developing proficiency than establishing basic skill sets.

While this can be done with an "Appleseed- appropriate" type rifle, I still feel that basic instruction is generally more safely and easily accomplished using a firearm with a manually-operated action. As you've discovered, the way the course is structured in "Appleseed" training follows the current military model and heavily favors a box magazine-fed semiautomatic.

Personally, I think it's best to approach firearms training incrementally using the simplest and most basic tools at first and adding complexity and challenges as the individual's progress in the mastering of the prerequisite skills are demonstrated. YMMV.

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think the 22 lr has better ballistics than a 25 auto. I grew up with a guy that was shot in the head point blank with a 25 auto and it didn't even penetrate his skull! Thank God for that, but why pay the extra cost for 25 round when you can purchase hot 22s for pennys per round!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    IMO, "Appleseed" training would be better left until the child has already been introduced to and understands the basics of firearms/range safety and the fundamentals of Marksmanship.

The objectives of the two processes are different: The "Appleseed" course appears to be geared more towards developing proficiency than establishing basic skill sets.

While this can be done with an "Appleseed- appropriate" type rifle, I still feel that basic instruction is generally more safely and easily accomplished using a firearm with a manually-operated action. As you've discovered, the way the course is structured in "Appleseed" training follows the current military model and heavily favors a box magazine-fed semiautomatic.

Personally, I think it's best to approach firearms training incrementally using the simplest and most basic tools at first and adding complexity and challenges as the individual's progress in the mastering of the prerequisite skills are demonstrated. YMMV.

I agree. He has been shooting my old j. Stevens bolt action and learning fundamentals with that. We are not going to jump right into an Appleseed immediately, but eventually and it would be nice if he can take his own gun to it.
    I think the 22 lr has better ballistics than a 25 auto. I grew up with a guy that was shot in the head point blank with a 25 auto and it didn't even penetrate his skull! Thank God for that, but why pay the extra cost for 25 round when you can purchase hot 22s for pennys per round!

What?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    In that case, might I suggest taking a hard look at the Ruger Compact 10/22? I traded for one when my youngest nephew was still small-statured enough that he had trouble handling my other .22 longarms. It's shorter LOP and 16" bbl allowed him to compete with his older brother on the duelling tree, etc. on equal terms and helped keep him enthusiastic and engaged during our plinking sessions.

It's got some very nice features of its own, such as fiber optic open sights, and is capable of accepting most of the more popular aftermarket accessories made for the 10/22. I believe that it'd make an ideal base for building a Liberty Trainer for a younger shooter.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    I just bought my son, he is almost 6, a henry mini bolt. After handlling several child sized rifles the henry seemed the better buy. Fiber optic sights, a nice SS barrel, well made stock and unlike some of the others I handled it had a safety along with the cocking knob. I understand it is not needed but I wanted him to get used to having and using a safety instead of depending on the knob alone. It was a bit more than others but I think it was well worth the extra.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We tried a marlin 795 and a savage mark II today. He really liked both. He could hold both up and aim them. They are a bit on the heavy side but not bad at all. I think I am leaning toward the mark II with the accutrigger. He will be able to fire it from the bench without a problem. Now where in Indy to find the best price. Gander mountain had it for ~$200, maybe a little less. I still need to check Dicks sporting goods.

Top Bottom