• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    When we talk about the justice system I just have to wonder, what justice system?

I teach Criminal Justice classes at the graduate level for Trine University, and I openly wondered just that to Dr. Beckner, who headed the program at the time. He gave me one of those "looks," and said the first thing he tells his first-year undergraduate students is: the criminal justice system isn't.

It is not a system. It is more like a burlap sack full of old door knobs, rusted hinges, bent nails, and broken hammers that rarely communicate with each other, if ever!

I have personal experience with that one. A creep that stole our car while we were in Colorado went before a judge at a sentence reduction hearing. The judge, in no uncertain terms, sent him back to the joint. 30 days later, the Department of Corrections put him back on the street on "Intensive Supervised Probation." The jailor trumps the judge!

Three guesses how long it took him to recitivate.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    People want to complain about the amount of people that get out early or don't get stiff enough sentences, then in the same breath want to complain about taxes being too high. I've got advice for you people, if you want people to stay in jail longer, write you representatives.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well the old guy was at fault for not complying with the robbery. He deserved to get shot for that. Therefore the teen is only really guilty of robbery. It makes perfect sense to me. We know he didn't want to shoot him, but the old guy forced his hand by not giving up his loot.

Why the purple? It seems to be the argument that the liberals are beginning to make as they try to dismantle our self defense laws in this country. We must be willing victims otherwise we will be the ones doing time in the near future, if we don't stand up and put a stop to this.

Just remember, in Indiana, there is "day for a day" good time, which means this young felon in training may be out in ten years, probably less.

I am sure he will emerge at age 26 as a real asset to the community.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I teach Criminal Justice classes at the graduate level for Trine University, and I openly wondered just that to Dr. Beckner, who headed the program at the time. He gave me one of those "looks," and said the first thing he tells his first-year undergraduate students is: the criminal justice system isn't.

It is not a system. It is more like a burlap sack full of old door knobs, rusted hinges, bent nails, and broken hammers that rarely communicate with each other, if ever!

I have personal experience with that one. A creep that stole our car while we were in Colorado went before a judge at a sentence reduction hearing. The judge, in no uncertain terms, sent him back to the joint. 30 days later, the Department of Corrections put him back on the street on "Intensive Supervised Probation." The jailor trumps the judge!

Three guesses how long it took him to recitivate.

Hmmm. They should fill a burlap sack full of door knobs, rusted hinges, bent nails, and broken hammers, and teach that kid something about justice...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He needed $80 to repay a debt?
    Oh, then it's okay.

Maybe he'll spend the time thinking that cutting people's grass and shoveling snow might have taken less time. You know. That thing they call, JOBS.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Did anyone else notice they dropped the no LTCH charge?

Maybe if it's going to be dropped, it shouldn't be illegal to begin with. (carrying w/o a LTCH, not the attempted murder charge, that is)

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Did anyone else notice they dropped the no LTCH charge?

Maybe if it's going to be dropped, it shouldn't be illegal to begin with. (carrying w/o a LTCH, not the attempted murder charge, that is)

Dropping all, or most of the lesser charges in a plea agreement isn't uncommon.

Unfortunately, without plea bargaining, the whole (pseudo) system would overload in quick order. Many more courthouses would have to be built, and nearly everyone would be called upon yearly, to serve upon a jury.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The jailor trumps the judge!

My sister had too much to drink in college and was being driven home by a group of her guy friends. To make a long story short, she was gang raped by all 4, but only after being slapped around and her clothes ripped and cut off.

She spent just over 2 weeks recovering from the physical injuries. The psychological damage continues to this day.

All four served 2 months, before being released via "Shock Parole".

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I can't imagine how the gentleman who Devon Moore shot feels about this. I would be disgusted with with such a lax sentence. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should come preach about such an injustice.

jylederman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Franklin, IN
    This kind of justice really pisses me off. I personally think that if we start killing these little bastards that think they can break the law and get away with it, the majority of violent crimes would stop. I'm not saying let them sit in jail and have 20+ years to waste our tax money, but if you are found guilty without any doubt, let's take your butt out back and your debt to society will be paid. Hell I will even volunteer, bring my gun and ammo. Let's go back to the way it was in the 1800s. You kill or attempt to kill, you die no questions asked.

That's just my opinion and there's not one thing to change it.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    This kind of justice really pisses me off. I personally think that if we start killing these little bastards that think they can break the law and get away with it, the majority of violent crimes would stop. I'm not saying let them sit in jail and have 20+ years to waste our tax money, but if you are found guilty without any doubt, let's take your butt out back and your debt to society will be paid. Hell I will even volunteer, bring my gun and ammo. Let's go back to the way it was in the 1800s. You kill or attempt to kill, you die no questions asked.

That's just my opinion and there's not one thing to change it.

I wouldn't even try to, friend :)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dropping all, or most of the lesser charges in a plea agreement isn't uncommon.

Unfortunately, without plea bargaining, the whole (pseudo) system would overload in quick order. Many more courthouses would have to be built, and nearly everyone would be called upon yearly, to serve upon a jury.

You say that like that's a bad thing. People need to be involved in their local government, even if it's just at the jury level. If people were actually forced to take part, we probably wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

edited: Note... I don't advocate forced civil service.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    You say that like that's a bad thing. People need to be involved in their local government, even if it's just at the jury level. If people were actually forced to take part, we probably wouldn't have half the problems we have today.

I really wasn't taking a position upon it either way, as I was merely stating a fact of what would occur without plea bargaining.

I agree with your assessment though, and believe that such would result in an irony of sorts, by a paradoxical reduction in the need of the courts.

edited: Note... I don't advocate forced civil service.

I didn't think you did. :yesway:

I, however, still advocate a form of compulsory military service. At the very least, people would have a greater and deeper appreciation for the very liberties that they take for granted.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dropping the lesser charges, (those that would have ran concurrently anyways), isn't that big a deal.

Top Bottom