• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I disagree with this sentiment entirely.

Then don't use Google. Seems simple enough. Google isn't forcing you to enter search terms into their databases, use Chrome, etc.

The Internet is not private. You are constantly using other people's systems. When you drive on a public road, your location is not private. People can see you. When you are shopping in the grocery store the items in your cart are not secret. People can see you. Your internet traffic is the same. There are steps you can take to increase your privacy, but using other people's stuff is inherently not private and using public resources is inherently not private.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Then don't use Google. Seems simple enough. Google isn't forcing you to enter search terms into their databases, use Chrome, etc.

The Internet is not private. You are constantly using other people's systems. When you drive on a public road, your location is not private. People can see you. When you are shopping in the grocery store the items in your cart are not secret. People can see you. Your internet traffic is the same. There are steps you can take to increase your privacy, but using other people's stuff is inherently not private and using public resources is inherently not private.
    Use Chrome instead? It was developed by Google. :n00b:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But. It's. A. Google. Product!
    So you can use Google or our other spyware product Chrome.
    Huh? He basically said no one is forcing you to use a Google product. You seem to be misreading what he wrote.

One is a search engine. One is a browser. There are alternatives to both that will stop Google from collecting your data.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Huh? He basically said no one is forcing you to use a Google product. You seem to be misreading what he wrote.

One is a search engine. One is a browser. There are alternatives to both that will stop Google from collecting your data.
    They both (Google.com and chrome) return a list of website links related to search words I key in. What am I missing?

They are both Google products (engine, browser no matter) so how would using chrome over google save you from Google snooping?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I switched my search engine to DuckDuckGo a long time ago.

I remember back in the old usenet days, someone leaked the list of keywords that were being sucked in by the FBI back then. A lot of us began adding several of those keywords at the end of every post.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    They both (Google.com and chrome) return a list of website links related to search words I key in. What am I missing?

They are both Google products (engine, browser no matter) so how would using chrome over google save you from Google snooping?
    Oh it wouldn’t, chrome might actually be worse and be able to get its tentacles deeper into your system, as a browser (think ‘app’).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I switched my search engine to DuckDuckGo a long time ago.

I remember back in the old usenet days, someone leaked the list of keywords that were being sucked in by the FBI back then. A lot of us began adding several of those keywords at the end of every post.
    And that’s when a bunch of you fled and escaped to NWI?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

First, no. Chrome is a browser. It does not give you search results. Whatever search engine you have configured it to use does.
    1633692994248.png

What it does do is track everything you do on it.

And once again, he did not tell you to use Chrome. He said do not use Google and listed some of their products and said no one was forcing you to use them. Of course the competition is no better.

If you have an Android phone, you can see just how much they track you. You can turn off some of the tracking and delete the history.

Last edited:

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    First, no. Chrome is a browser. It does not give you search results. Whatever search engine you have configured it to use does.
    View attachment 162201

What it does do is track everything you do on it.

And once again, he did not tell you to use Chrome. He said do not use Google and listed some of their products and said no one was forcing you to use them. Of course the competition is no better.

If you have an Android phone, you can see just how much they track you. You can turn off some of the tracking and delete the history.
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize you could change search engines in chrome. I thought it was Google only.

I also must have read BBIs reply wrong. Statement about Google, separated by a comma, then use Chrome etc. I read the after comma part as an alternative to the before comma part.

I've turned off permissions for just about everything I can and still have a functional device, but I'm sure there are things I haven't found. I poke around that link, and give them a bit more data. :):

Reactions: KLB

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ah, I see. I didn't realize you could change search engines in chrome. I thought it was Google only.

I also must have read BBIs reply wrong. Statement about Google, separated by a comma, then use Chrome etc. I read the after comma part as an alternative to the before comma part.

I've turned off permissions for just about everything I can and still have a functional device, but I'm sure there are things I haven't found. I poke around that link, and give them a bit more data. :):
    I turned off everything I could and deleted it all.

Kind of freaky when you see every app you use and when.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'd like to check it out but I don't remember my google account log in info. I only have it because they make you have one when you get an Android phone.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012

They say they've tracked no activity for me in over 5 years. But we both know that's not true, they track everything.

Top Bottom