• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion knife about 6 months ago. I rarely have ever carried it and lost it. When cleaning my car I foung the knife in the crack of my back seat. I opened the knife up and there is small rust spots all over the blade. What should I do? Send it back to Kershaw?

Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I would clean it up & use it. A little oil & scotch Brite pad will get most of it. Then you won't have to feel bad when you do scratch it.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    I agree with the scotch brite and oil. you would probably have to cover the shipping one way and its probably just surface rust. if it's actually pitted you may want to send it back, but it doesn't look to be the most expensive knife in the world and may not be worth paying the shipping to get another one.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All knives rust if you dont take care of them, it's not Kershaw's fault but yours.

Knives made of stainless steel mean they rust less than regular steel, it's not rustfree.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sanding is extreme. If you can get to Bradis they carry a great product for treating surface rust. Super QCG, try that if you get the chance.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Sanding is extreme. If you can get to Bradis they carry a great product for treating surface rust. Super QCG, try that if you get the chance.

I have to agree on the super quick clean guns. It's amazing stuff. I use it for all my firearms and knives. Heck, I used it last weekend on a come along while pulling out bushes.

The stuff works great.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I will post this up though just as a heads up kershaw has had a decent amount of recalls (i guess that is what you would call them lol) on there blades based off rust issues. a couple of the zt line and even the kershaw tilt which is why they won't do them with the satin blades anymore.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I will post this up though just as a heads up kershaw has had a decent amount of recalls (i guess that is what you would call them lol) on there blades based off rust issues. a couple of the zt line and even the kershaw tilt which is why they won't do them with the satin blades anymore.

So, you have literally several hundreds of manufacturers out there that produce satin finished blades on their knives with no issues, but Kershaw can't seem to get it right? I remember reading about the first ZT Hinderer model having issues, but was it the actual blade or was it pivot screw or something else?

Lately I have lost a lot of confidence in Kershaw and Zero Tolerance because of other issues. Now with this rust problem, I'm starting to wonder what the hell is going on at KAI. This is not what I would expect from them.:dunno:

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    So, you have literally several hundreds of manufacturers out there that produce satin finished blades on their knives with no issues, but Kershaw can't seem to get it right? I remember reading about the first ZT Hinderer model having issues, but was it the actual blade or was it pivot screw or something else?

Lately I have lost a lot of confidence in Kershaw and Zero Tolerance because of other issues. Now with this rust problem, I'm starting to wonder what the hell is going on at KAI. This is not what I would expect from them.:dunno:

I can not speak about kershaws since I do not own any, but the Problem with the 0551 was with the stainless liner and it was not only a very smaller number of them, but also traced back to one specific employee who was fired in very short order. KAI was very quick to replace the liners for the folks that got the unfinished ones.

I am also curious as to what your other issues are with ZT if you don't mind expanding on that one a bit? I have multiple zt knives and would like to know if there is something specific I should be watching for.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I can not speak about kershaws since I do not own any, but the Problem with the 0551 was with the stainless liner and it was not only a very smaller number of them, but also traced back to one specific employee who was fired in very short order. KAI was very quick to replace the liners for the folks that got the unfinished ones.

I am also curious as to what your other issues are with ZT if you don't mind expanding on that one a bit? I have multiple at knives and would like to know if there is something specific I should be watching for.

One of the issues that I'm currently dealing with involves the ZT0200 Military model. The last few that I have received have had the tip of the blade sticking out past the liners and handles to the point that it will cut or nick you when handling the knife towards the bottom (end). I sold a ZT0200 Military model to INGO member sadclown and when he received it he made me aware of the problem. I thought it was just one of those "one time" problems that you get every once in awhile, but since then every ZT0200 that I have order has had that same problem. There are several other issues involving kershaw/ZT models that I will not discuss until I have had the chance to disscuss them with KAI.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

it happens. it has something to do with how they are finishing the blades or something. and it's not in huge numbers but I don't personally care because if you do have a situation kershaw or zt will make it right. I was just pointing this out to the op as it may be of help. I had 2 of the 0551 and both of them had the issue. it was minute but annoying at the least which is why I don't own them anymore. all companies especially big companies will have their issues but it depends on how they deal with them imo. I personally love their products and recommend them often but I'm not sure what the deal is with the rust issues.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    it happens. it has something to do with how they are finishing the blades or something. and it's not in huge numbers but I don't personally care because if you do have a situation kershaw or zt will make it right. I was just pointing this out to the op as it may be of help. I had 2 of the 0551 and both of them had the issue. it was minute but annoying at the least which is why I don't own them anymore. all companies especially big companies will have their issues but it depends on how they deal with them imo. I personally love their products and recommend them often but I'm not sure what the deal is with the rust issues.

I would never argue about KAI's customer service, it is one of the best in the business, but the multiple issues/problems that they have had in the last year leads me to believe that they have some serious QC (Quality Control) problems. Even though KAI will make it right, it is a hassle (plus the shipping cost) to have to deal with issues on a brand new knife. :twocents:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would never argue about KAI's customer service, it is one of the best in the business, but the multiple issues/problems that they have had in the last year leads me to believe that they have some serious QC (Quality Control) problems. Even though KAI will make it right, it is a hassle (plus the shipping cost) to have to deal with issues on a brand new knife. :twocents:

I don't disagree with that at all sir. it always sucks. and they definitely need to step it up for sure but considering the amounts of blades they are putting out through out the country it hasn't been huge numbers of blades that have had the problems. I hope they get it together and up the QC checks. they are still one of my favorite companies and produce some of the best value blades out there with some of the best materials around.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    The best part of kershaw as you can pick up their china knives for 15 bucks a peice which isn't a bad deal, however my dad prefers the cheap gerbers over the cheap kershaws.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I don't disagree with that at all sir. it always sucks. and they definitely need to step it up for sure but considering the amounts of blades they are putting out through out the country it hasn't been huge numbers of blades that have had the problems. I hope they get it together and up the QC checks. they are still one of my favorite companies and produce some of the best value blades out there with some of the best materials around.

:+1:

This is where I am at on it also. ZT is the first brand I look to when I am in the market for a new folder and then I expand my search from there. Luckily for me I do not have to worry about these 0200 issues since I never really liked that one enough to get one.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.

I am also curious as to what your other issues are with ZT if you don't mind expanding on that one a bit? I have multiple zt knives and would like to know if there is something specific I should be watching for.

You do understand that kershaw and zt are the same company ..?? KAI..!!

Top Bottom