• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas W

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I will post this up though just as a heads up kershaw has had a decent amount of recalls (i guess that is what you would call them lol) on there blades based off rust issues. a couple of the zt line and even the kershaw tilt which is why they won't do them with the satin blades anymore.
    I'm unsure where you are getting your information, but there have been no "recalls" due to corrosion. Additionally we are not seeing any issues with regards to rust.

So, you have literally several hundreds of manufacturers out there that produce satin finished blades on their knives with no issues, but Kershaw can't seem to get it right?
    Do you know the difference between satin, bead blast, and stonewashed finishes? From your words I'll say no.

Now with this rust problem, I'm starting to wonder what the hell is going on at KAI.
    There is nothing going on that is wrong at Kai. Please try not to take your individual experiences, and gather the majority to try and prove a point. Please read above, there are no "real" problems with corrosion.

Sorry you've lost confidence in us. I feel you're in the minority bucket with your feelings, but understand.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Do you know the difference between satin, bead blast, and stonewashed finishes? From your words I'll say no.

No need in insulting me. Not once did I discuss the differences in blade finishes in this thread and I'm quite amazed that you have the ability to know what I do or do not know, but I will answer your question about blade finishes.

Satin Finish-Normally done with a wheel or belt using a fine grit belt or a wheel with polish.

Bead Blast-High pressure air with sand or glass beads.

Stonewash- The tumbling method. Tumbling a blade that creates tiny uniform scratches to the blade by impacting the blade with stones. Doing so long enough will create scratches all over the blade giving a tumbled or stonewash finish.

Basically the difference in finishes for a knife blade revolves around the coarseness of the finish.....how big the pores are in the metal after the finish has been completed. The larger the pores the more susceptible it is to rusting. Example: A mirror finish comes close to actually closing the pores, thus it is less susceptible to rusting. Since the discussion revolves around a satin finish, I'll explain a little more. With a satin finish there will be actual grind marks left after the finish has been completion. There are no coatings or treatments done with satin finished blades. You will have different levels of brightness or sheen with a satin finish and if I remember right that brightness/sheen is measured on a grits scale.

There is nothing going on that is wrong at Kai. Please try not to take your individual experiences, and gather the majority to try and prove a point. Please read above, there are no "real" problems with corrosion.

Sorry you've lost confidence in us. I feel you're in the minority bucket with your feelings, but understand.

This/these are not my "individual experiences"....I personally don't own ANY Kershaw or Zero Tolerance knives. I do have a significant amount of money invested in Kershaw and ZT products (inventory) that I sell. To gather "the majority" in a negitive way would be cutting off my own nose. I'm only concerned by the feedback I get from my customers. I'm in the trenches (Gun & Knife shows) over 40 weekends a year and talk to hundreds if not thousands of people on a weekly basis. When I start hearing repeated concerns/issues from my customers about a product and then I read a thread on here that is addressing some of the same problems/issues, I should be concerned.....maybe I overstated it by using "losing confidence". :dunno:

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA

[/quote]

I would say you are assuming a lot by one quote. Well you know what they say about assuming. I see the nature of your first post was to attack blindly and without merit and then defend:noway:

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm unsure where you are getting your information, but there have been no "recalls" due to corrosion. Additionally we are not seeing any issues with regards to rust.

I'm going to address this as a long time Kershaw collector. I take information I hear about one of my favorite companies (KAI / Kershaw) on the web with a grain of salt. I have never had a problem with a Kershaw product. Even have purchased a blemished knife I could find no flaw with.

When a rep from Kershaw comes on INGO and insults our favorite knife dealers, I take offense to that. Brad is highly trusted and very respected by INGO members, insulting him is not going to endear Kershaw to anyone here.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Maybe my skin is a bit thicker then most but how is "from your words I'll say no" an insult? Get over it and grow up. How is it ok to be upset about an insult to Brad and then ok for knife lady to throw around personal insults.. It is like middle school.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Maybe my skin is a bit thicker then most but how is "from your words I'll say no" an insult? Get over it and grow up. How is it ok to be upset about an insult to Brad and then ok for knife lady to throw around personal insults.. It is like middle school.

I doubt your skin is thicker judging from your post. You want to call me out? How about we all grow up and not insult each other like your middle school tactics just displayed. How about you get over it and let it go.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I doubt your skin is thicker judging from your post. You want to call me out? How about we all grow up and not insult each other like your middle school tactics just displayed. How about you get over it and let it go.

Actually I was talking about thomas brad and knifelady and not you but you must be right... So I am willing to admit that I must be like middle school too.

Last edited:

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    more appropriately, that is like saying a lexus and toyota are the same.. owned by the same company.. so what? quality is the difference.

Wow..... you joined last March and you already have over 2000 post..!!??? But back to the subject .. my answers ..really not quite the same, but thanks for your input..??

Top Bottom