• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    the non-powered kind. i have a salamander in my shop but remembering the 91 ice storm and how we lived around an 80 year old kero heater i decided to pick one up.
    problem is, it smokes like a *****. POURS out black smoke. i turned around in the shop when i had it on and my back turned, and i could barely see.
    i thought my first problem was my fuel, which what i had was supposed to be 1K kero, but in fact it looked and smelled more like farm (red) diesel.
    i picked up some actual 1K at a retail place and sure enough, same effect.
    what am i doing wrong with this thing?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I had one do the exact same thing. It worked great for a few years. I put a new wick in it every year and it worked great. Got it out one night and it just poured black smoke. Put a new wick in it, still smoked. I tore it apart, cleaned it, looked for damage, another new wick, and used kero from wal-mart instead of BP, and that damn thing still smoked.

By then I was so ****** at it I took it out and set it on the curb. Came outside 5 min later to go buy a new one and it was GONE!

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I love mine, its from the 1980's and works great. I dont know about new ones but I always make sure to light mine outside and wait for a few min and same with turning off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Most will smoke when you first light them. After that and adjusting for proper flame the smoke is all but gone. That said, it is dirty heat. Anything white in the room will not be for long with regular use.

tnrick55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    bluffton
    light it outside and let it burn awhile and get the crap off it.its called breaking in .thenn if that fales sell it to your best friend lol.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Doubt it's your fuel.... I have used fuel before left over from previous season and all it did was maybe burn a little smokey...

If it's bellowing out black soot, I would suspect a fuel/air mixture problem... Make sure your chimney is seated correctly. Also, check that your wick is the right height.

If you find the culprit, you will probably still want to take apart and check the holes in the cylinder... If it blew out much soot, you might have to clean them if they are plugged.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What Xtreme Vel says is my vote for the most likely culprit. If the chimney isn't seated properly it will smoke like a freight train, much like a kerosene lamp with the chimney off of it. Any time the heater is transported or handled too roughly it stands the chance the chimney has been unsettled.

Indyerick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I agree with everyone stating the wick is bad. My neighbor was given an older one that has a blower on it. He replaced the wick but he also has a treatment that you place in the fuel that helps with the black smoke and makes it smell like vanilla. I want to say he got it at Lowes.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm lost. The only non powered type kero heaters called salamanders that I've ever known of look like this and don't have a wick. Is this what we're talking about?
    Kerosalamander.jpg

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    We heated out home for a few years with K1 heaters. Learned many lessons in those years as a kid. One thing is never run a heater on high leave it middle or low. If you run a wick high you will burn it and soot will happen fast and it will burn dirty. A good K1 will burn nice and clean. I wouldn't use the type of heater you speak of in a home. Buy a wall setter or a circular one. After the last ice storm here in 2005 we replaced our old wall setter with a circular version. We got ours in the spring during the close out season for cheap!

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I'm lost. The only non powered type kero heaters called salamanders that I've ever known of look like this and don't have a wick. Is this what we're talking about?
    Kerosalamander.jpg

He is talking about the modern burner type I guess. The ones with the bottom fuel tank that push heat out one end. Used in barns and such.
    What you have is a old version and we called those "stacks"

Top Bottom