• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So, here in NWI it is supposed to get CCCCCOLD this next week. My grandparents like the idea of my family having a kerosene heater. We have a natural gas fireplace that is 98% efficient and more than capable of heating our small house (1070 sq ft.). However, if we are going to be gifted one, would I be stupid to turn it down? My parents have one in KY that they LOVE but their house is much bigger and they are on electric only, so no way of heating their home if electricity goes out.
    So I turn to you Preppers of INGO, what would you do?

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Depends on the unit. I have used many heaters, im taking it this is a residential (inside) rated heater? If so you shouldnt have any issues with incomplete combustion or any issues with the smell of the combustion of kerosene.

I have 2 heaters in my Garage, one a multifuel radiant heater, and a hung CNG unit that runs off the house gas. I too have a 98% efficiency heater, and its nice to have a backup if need be. Although my home being stone and having a basement helps with any cold or extremely hot weather,

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I definently wouldnt recommend running a kerosene heater often. If you want to save on NG bills buy some small electric space heaters.

Heat without the hassle.

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sounds like a solid purchase. Would work too if you ever needed to evac. Would heat a temp shelter or anything like that too. Just get one with the best fuel efficiency!

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Consider a big buddy heater made by Mr. heater. It runs on propane, burns cleaner, and if you use the hose the fuel sits outside. Kerosene stinks and will soot up your home.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    While natural gas is reliable, it's not a guarantee. I have propane heat with a 1,000 tank, but I also have 3 kerosene heaters (2x12,000btu and 1x23,000btu) as a back up to that. I use them in the garage for heat when I work out there.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Some people get physically ill when exposed to Kero heat for a day or more. Respiratory irritation and so on. You don't have one so you don't know if anyone in your family is sensitive to it. Kero is getting harder to find at the pump. Do you have an affordable source nearby? Go find out first.

diesel is easier to find but can be just as hard on people's lungs and such. I have used Kero heaters for 25 years but I am not buying any new ones or maintaining the old ones as they crap out. I have wood and propane, will be adding pellet stoves next. I may add a few diesel heaters to replace Kero ones for outdoor use in garage and shops.

With -32 Monday we had a small problem and portable radiant propane heaters or even a bullet heater come in handy to thaw an area out.

Top Bottom