• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Does anyone have any info on the Kel Tec KSG? Price, availability, or where might you actually hold one.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Price is gonna up and down because of hard it is to find but I saw one for 750. I know the gun n knife show 1500 doesn't have any. I know this didn't help you out at all.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    There was one at a local shop were I live. It had 849 marked on it and it was gone the very next day. They are a pretty rare find from what Ive heard. The shop owner said that was the only one he was going to get.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I dont have any inside info. Just know that all new weapons have teething problems, regardless of the manufacturer

i agree! but some more than others.

i love this design, look, and 14 round capacity. personally "I" dont like where the lever is on this, and how that seems to work for loading having to move it side to side, it also looks like having to deal with the "hole" where the gun is loaded, the lever is, and where the shells are extracted is just a mess (the name for the hole escapes me) it seems loading and reloading are just a hassle and would take forever. also for me i dont know if the ability to switch tubes is all that important, i'm sure there are folks who would be all for that and thats fine. i would like one that just automatically fed from both tubes somehow without the bothering with the switch.

if a better company would take the over all look of this and fix it, this has a ton of potential.

as a disclaimer i've not held one of these, my observations are based on reading and videos.

jake

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Does anyone have any info on the Kel Tec KSG? Price, availability, or where might you actually hold one.
    Well, I have not seen any around yet, but I did read an aricle about the gun and it seems to have only the few minor issues while being tested. Kel Tec did a lot of research testing and fixing things before they really got going on this project, according to the magazine article. I would like to have one, but seriously doubt that I ever will.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    i dont doubt that but for goodness sakes why? there isnt any law that i'm a ware of is there?

jake

Civilians cannot be trusted.........
    I'm not sure if the final version has this function or it was a prototype type of thing.
    There is much to do floating around about this particular gun.
    There was also something about the trigger not resetting on the civilian model
    if you held it down while pumping the gun ala slamfiring.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think a manual switch would be handy just to switch between types of rounds. They have witness holes now, and they've fixed the trigger reset problem. I'd probably wind up putting a breeching doodad on it, but otherwise it seems pretty ideal as is.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    FWIW, perhaps the biggest flaw in the KSG is that KelTec seems to be making approximately one a day ...of most of their firearms ...and they probably only work a half-day on Friday. :dunno:

Seriously, they've got some interesting firearms ...but their production schedule seems like it's set by a procrastinator. :rolleyes:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well Freedom Firearms in Ft. Wayne received one, the guy who had pre-ordered it had waited a hell of a long time, by the time it arrived...he just didnt want it.
    I was there when it came in, got to fondle and play with it. I thought it was an awesome firearm...short, compact and I personally liked the fact (since Im a south paw) that the shells ejected below.

Most bull pups are not left handed friendly...

I had an opportunity to purchase it, they were asking $899...
    I just cant justify spending that kind of money on a 12g just released by Kel Tec.

Now dont get me wrong, the designs they come up with are a bit unique, very versatile, neat...(whatever you want to add)
    But Ive had my issues with them too!

Its alot of money to dump on a 1st Gen. shotgun that more than likely will have issues. Was it cool, hell yes! But I dont believe it was worth that kind of money. I would like to see them come out with the same design and concept but in a semi-auto platform...if that was the case, I personally think it would be worth the money...I just wouldnt ever purchase the 1st Gen.

Work out the bugs, prove it to be reliable and trustworthy...
    Im depending on this firearm to protect me and my family....
    Just my :twocents:

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I was keeping track of someone's post on another forum who had purchased a KSG. The first time he took it out he had a whole mess of different brands of 12gauge and he said the KSG ate them all with no hiccups. A few days later he took it out again for another shoot and the plastic slide started to break off. he posted a few pictures. one side a whole chunk was missing and the other side you could see a crack beginning and another chunk is ready to break off. He e-mailed kel tec about the problem the same day and recieved no answer. Then he called them the next day a few times and still no answer. So he waited a couple more days..... no reply and no answer when he called again. So he went back to the store he bought it from and they said they'll try and get a hold of kel tec, the shop thought that they might be extremely busy because of shot show coming up and thats why he couldn't get a hold of them. I had also seen another post saying that google was "blocking" kel tecs page. A rumor is going around that their page was hacked another one is that they might have an unsecure link on their page causing google to block it. Who knows... All i can say is, I"m disapointed. I was really hoping the KSG design was going to work. I really wanted one but now i'm not so sure.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    i agree! but some more than others.

i love this design, look, and 14 round capacity. personally "I" dont like where the lever is on this, and how that seems to work for loading having to move it side to side, it also looks like having to deal with the "hole" where the gun is loaded, the lever is, and where the shells are extracted is just a mess (the name for the hole escapes me) it seems loading and reloading are just a hassle and would take forever. also for me i dont know if the ability to switch tubes is all that important, i'm sure there are folks who would be all for that and thats fine. i would like one that just automatically fed from both tubes somehow without the bothering with the switch.

if a better company would take the over all look of this and fix it, this has a ton of potential.

as a disclaimer i've not held one of these, my observations are based on reading and videos.

jake

the reason for the switch between the two magazines is to avoid having this classified as a Destructive Device by the ATF witch would make it a restricted item and would require a $200 stamp to own one, and thats only if you can own DDs in your state or city

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    the reason for the switch between the two magazines is to avoid having this classified as a Destructive Device by the ATF witch would make it a restricted item and would require a $200 stamp to own one, and thats only if you can own DDs in your state or city
    OH really? Please expound on this...

We have for example the Saiga-12, an AK style shotgun with detachable box & drum magazines that will hold up to 25 rounds that the ATF says is ok. And you think that if Kel-tec were to make the KSG switch tubes automatically the ATF would consider it a DD?

I don't think that is the reason... but that's just what I think. :twocents:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    OH really? Please expound on this...

We have for example the Saiga-12, an AK style shotgun with detachable box & drum magazines that will hold up to 25 rounds that the ATF says is ok. And you think that if Kel-tec were to make the KSG switch tubes automatically the ATF would consider it a DD?

I don't think that is the reason... but that's just what I think. :twocents:

there was a video keltec put out a while back (shortly after SHOT show) that showed testing and changes made to the KSG and in the video the guy from keltec said that is what the reason for the manual switch was. One of the reasons that the Saiga-12 is so expensive and hard to come by the last few years is because the ATF is attempting to stop importation sighting that it "has no sporting purpose" if they manage to succeed then it wouldn't be long till the saiga is considered a destructive device like the USAS-12 and the Striker "Street Sweeper"

USAS-12 Semi-Auto shotgun - NFA Destructive Device
    21.jpg

Striker-12 "StreetSweeper" - NFA Destructive Device
    Striker_shotgun.jpg

Top Bottom