• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I like to keep my AR mags loaded all the time for whatever SHTF scenario you wanna think of I keep 20 in the standard 30 rounders is that to many to keep loaded I dont wanna have to rebuild my mags cause I did that should I just not keep them loaded or is there a golden number I can get away with without weakening the spring. ive had the factory mag for 2 years now and it dont work now but my brownell mags work just fine whats your :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Springs weaken from cycling rather than simply staying compressed.

Leave 'em loaded as long as you like.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I like to keep my AR mags loaded all the time for whatever SHTF scenario you wanna think of I keep 20 in the standard 30 rounders is that to many to keep loaded I dont wanna have to rebuild my mags cause I did that should I just not keep them loaded or is there a golden number I can get away with without weakening the spring. ive had the factory mag for 2 years now and it dont work now but my brownell mags work just fine whats your :twocents:

I rotate my mags;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Loading down by 1 or 2 rounds can be good practice to help relieve the stress on the mag body as well as on the feed lips. These things CAN and do wear out from being over-stressed in a static state (unlike springs, which are just fine in a static state)

-J-

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    It has been written that one must never ever load assault clips all the way, however mags may be loaded full at all times. This is the reason I use magazines and not those assault clips.:)

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i own some magazines that ive had since early 2006 and has been in combat, training and now civilian use. Most of those are early 2000's production and have lasted well over a decade of hard use and abuse. if you keep them loaded as i did in the military, it is a good idea to unload the mag, disassemble, and allow the spring to relax for a while. this was common practice for the unit i was in

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Assault clips :(..I hope that was a joke and the term is not catching on. As far as your question however, I ran the same 7 pmags in a one year run up to deployment and throughout a 15 month deployment. I bought a second 7 and did the same thing my second deployment. As someone has already said, springs weaken from cycling (loading and unloading) not from being compressed and staying that way. Load your mags as full as you want. Downloading a couple rounds is an ok practice to keep stress off of the feed lips. However, If you own Pmags you can simply load to 30 rounds and put the feed lip cover back on. They are designed to support the lips and top of the mag body.

Hope this helps a little.

Mike

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    As soon as I seen the title of that thread I knew everybody would be over the "clip" vs "magazine" thing lol :D
    I thought I should join.

clip_magazine.jpg

I dont see why you couldnt leave your clips loaded at all time since there is no spring in a clip. ;)

As for magazines you can keep them loaded too.

Top Bottom