Keep this in mind while mushroom hunting!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Being from Central Indiana, I rarely see ANY snakes at all. Never even think about venomous snakes when I venture out of Central Indiana.

I wonder how I should better prepare myself and kids for those possibilities.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    Being from Central Indiana, I rarely see ANY snakes at all. Never even think about venomous snakes when I venture out of Central Indiana.

I wonder how I should better prepare myself and kids for those possibilities.

Just make sure your kids know what the venomous snakes in Indiana look like. My aunt picked up a copperhead when she was a teenager because she thought it was a pretty shoelace. Luckily she wasn't bit but you just gotta be careful.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have spent many a afternoon/evening hiking and camping in Central IN and OH, mushroom hunting and the like. I have yet to encounter anything other than a garter snake....THANK GOD!!

Damn I hate snakes!!!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have snakes that can get that big. The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management
    I ran into a bunch of these at Hickory Ridge one year just south of the fire tower(down the gravel road under the bridge).Of course being 13 and with a bunch of other fellow scouts...we threw rocks at them.In hindsight...maybe not such a smart thing.
    At church camp climbing a tree I was bitten by one of these...after it scared the crap out of me and I fell out of the tree,taking it with me and standing on it when I stood up. I was 10 or so...and thought I was a gonner lol.
    The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The snakes to worry about when you are mushroom hunting are the kind that walk on two legs and will gladly rob you for a breadbag full of morels. They know they can sell them and we all know people will kill for less money than that.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    We have some of these critters here in Greene County. I have seen and killed one that was maybe a little less than half that size. If I saw one that big I'm not sure I could keep it together long enough to kill it. I overall kinda like snakes. Am always happy to find blue racers living near the house. Don't like the copperheads and these.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Mums the Word...

I understand your concern of running into rattlesnakes. However last time I checked, in Indiana both the Timber Rattlesnake and Eastern Massagua are protected under Indiana law and are not to be harmed or hunted. With that in mind, I would not be confessing in a public forum that I killed one, anymore than I would confess to killing a bald eagle… I can’t say I would act any differently, just a word to the wise.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    As many times as I've been skunked on hunting this year, it makes me mad enough to go after something like that to get the gratification of taking something home.

Hell, I'd try snake, I haven't turned anything else down to eat.

Heck, some claim bears are coming this way too.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sweet Mother of God....if I ever saw that thing there is not way he could catch me. He'd be busy spinning his wheels in the pile of :poop: that was running down my leg. Honestly....can you imagine accidently walking up on THAT??? I don't mind snakes...as long as I know they are there....but THAT is NOT a normal snake....a steroid induced freak is what THAT is!! :nailbite:

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    Question regarding juvenile snakes.

A couple years ago I encountered a juvenile snake that was mostly dark, but had a faint pattern. I can't remember exactly what it was but it led me to believe that it wasn't just a garter snake. So I poked a stick near it and it coiled up, reared back, and its tail began shaking like a rattler. But there were no rattles. At what point do they get their first rattles? Was this likely a rattler?

There are some snakes that mimic a rattler by shaking it's tail. I think the gopher snake does that.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok. This has devolved a bit, so I'll ask.
    Why don't the bears migrate (walk) up from south of us, or down from north of us, into Indiana? I'd assume there were bears here in the past. Nothing stopping them. Or is there?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    me and my wife have had many discussions about bears in indiana and just can't figure out why they aren't here? same with wolves too. but we do differ on the whole cougar thing:rolleyes:(the cat not my previous post)

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I think we should be packin heat regardless of whether there's any of those in the woods, or not. Never know when you might run into the wrong species of human snake. :) Or any other creature wanting to harm u!!

Top Bottom