• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    To the OP don't forget about the Taurus TCP 738. I've shot the LCP, and own a TCP; the TCP is much more comfortable to shoot, plus it has a last round hold open, loaded chamber indicator, two magazines, and security key lock system which might be useful with kids around. Also I think I saw them on bud's guns recently for $264.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Certainly carry it with one in the chamber, otherwise you may as well not be carrying. The other great choice would be a revolver.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    If wife is comfortable with one in the chamber if not she should get some training and shoot enough until she is comfortable with it. A round not chambered in a defense weapon makes no sense to me.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just an idea...as my normal thoughts have been addressed. Think of something like the Zack holster (I know there are others). You could have it tied to the inside of the purse. Upon drawing it will disengage the kydex leaving a loaded and chambered weapon with LESS risk of anything getting into the trigger guard. I'm not sure if Dale Fricke makes one for that gun or not, but he is one of the best people I've ever dealt with on custom work and I'm sure he would be more than happy to make one custom...

ZACK CONCEALMENT HOLSTER

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Chances are if you are the target, you wont have time to draw, and no way you'll have time to rack it unless your super lucky.....and if you were super lucky you wouldn't need it. As for a safetly less one, get some kind of purse holster or clip one to the inside. You don't want the purse dropped on a table and something snag the trigger.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Okay, this thread is already three pages, and I feel like the chances of the OP actually reading all of this are kind of slim, but I am going to chime in anyways.

1st: If you follow the MOST SIMPLE FIREARMS SAFETY RULES you will not have a NEGLIGENT discharge. IMO there is no such thing as an Accidental discharge, if the gun goes off and you didn't mean for it too, you were being Negligent. [1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded 2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot 3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire 4. Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire]

Now in order to not sound like an idiot I will address gun's without manual safeties. First, follow all the other rules and you SHOULD be fine (there is a reason it is the last rule). Second, I would consider both the holster and the trigger the safeties for weapons without a manual safety switch (just like the Glock where the safety is on the trigger)

I agree with everyone who suggested carrying with a round in the chamber and I also agree that if you have strong concerns about the children getting a hold of it (it should be placed out of their reach) you take the magazine out, empty the chamber, and re insert the loaded mag into the gun when you get home. Like I said before, if you are a responsible human being who can understand the basic firearms safety rules, you will not have a Negligent discharge.

The last thing that I want to say is that I would HIGHLY recommend getting a Raven Concealment Systems Vanguard (Raven Concealment Systems) which is similar to the ZACK posted above. It covers the trigger guard and if the chord is attached to the inside of the purse, it would come off during the draw. This will keep the gun (which ever one you choose) accessible and "safe" while allowing you to comfortably carry with a round in the chamber w/o fear of a Negligent discharge.

hope you get something out of that, but as always, that is just my twocents

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I think one should always carry with a round in the chamber. Every fraction of a second could count in a life or death situation. The children aspect does complicate things, however, I think educating the children about gun safety and keeping a vigilant watch over where the gun is at all times could solve that issue. That and it never hurts to invest in a good safe, for when your not carrying the firearm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    If your wife will feel better about having a pistol with a safety by all means get that for her. If she's not comfertable carrying she's not gonna carry it. And rule #1 of a gun fight...................

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

The last thing I want to do if I need my gun is to chamber a round first. Over the years, I've had more FTF racking a round than ever in live fire.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    To be honest, with kids around purse carry would be 100% off the list. Regardless of whether there is one in the chamber or not.

You might as well leave a loaded gun in the dresser drawer.

Unless she is is going to lock the gun up every time she sets her purse down. That isn't going to happen, so it's a non-starter for me. Sorry.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Simple answer, train your kids. If you take the mystery out of a gun, they won't be interested. My children have been around guns all their lives, any time they have asked to see a gun, I took the time to show it to them while taking the opportunity to teach them the safety rules and pound into their head that they can handle one any time WITH MY PERMISSION AND SUPERVISION. Now, my youngest is eight. There is a loaded shotgun in the family room within easy reach of anyone. My youngest saw it and pointed out that I left a gun out. I asked him if he wanted to see it and he said,"nah". It's sat there undisturbed since.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Always keep one in the hole. You probably don't want to have to remember to stop and rack the slide if you ever have to actually use it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just an idea...as my normal thoughts have been addressed. Think of something like the Zack holster (I know there are others). You could have it tied to the inside of the purse. Upon drawing it will disengage the kydex leaving a loaded and chambered weapon with LESS risk of anything getting into the trigger guard. I'm not sure if Dale Fricke makes one for that gun or not, but he is one of the best people I've ever dealt with on custom work and I'm sure he would be more than happy to make one custom...

ZACK CONCEALMENT HOLSTER

Allow me to instead suggest the Vanguard, by INGO's own ShayVanVlymen of Mindset Laboratories:
    Raven Concealment Systems
    All of the others are copies of his design, if I recall correctly..

To be honest, with kids around purse carry would be 100% off the list. Regardless of whether there is one in the chamber or not.

You might as well leave a loaded gun in the dresser drawer.

Unless she is is going to lock the gun up every time she sets her purse down. That isn't going to happen, so it's a non-starter for me. Sorry.

I was wondering when someone would mention this..
    Not to mention, purse carry isn't much help if the purse is grabbed, left behind, etc.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Not to mention, purse carry isn't much help if the purse is grabbed, left behind, etc.

True, but it is better than being unarmed. (and I believe that some if not most {again I do not know because I do not carry a purse} CC purses have cable reinforced straps to prevent them from being cut and easily stolen.

... and +1 on the raven vanguard. I also mentioned that in my post.

Top Bottom