• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow, emotions and all that, could be tough for a jury to disregard. But I thought judges routinely advised jurors to disregard statements. I'm for fair trials. I'm not sure the witness statement(s) rises to a mistrial. I mean, if that's all it takes to derail a trial, I guess I know my defense, should I ever decide to murder my entire family. A mistrial seems outrageous. I wonder if the state will try again??
    That's my thought too. Why not tell the jury to disregard?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    That's my thought too. Why not tell the jury to disregard?
    My take, is that to avoid an overturn on appeal, as the outburst occurred at the opening of the trial it was a safer bet to declare mistrial and let the process start again.

Better to minimize the risk the POS walks free, and reduce the waste of time and money than continue the trial only to have a verdict thrown out on appeal.

I would prefer to get this right, and if the feral human is guilty be in a position to ensure he never again walks among the free.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree, we need to hear why. I mean, WTF does this even mean?

"The Marion County Prosecutor's Office confirmed this was declared after something that was said during witness testimony."

So, somebody said something. Are they not supposed to say anything during testimony?
    Depends on what was said. It happens witnesses step out of bounds with the ball.

Unless it was intentional, jeopardy does not attach and then the prosecution decides if there is a retrial.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Wow. One, I hope they retry this case. I obviously don't know all the facts but based upon what is public, I struggle to imagine his innocence. A defense of two guns used does seem to cloud the accusation. However, it's only a defense claim, let's see how strong it is. Two, I can't believe such a simple statement would end a trial. Clearly it can and resident esquires have confirmed such. It just seems like such an easy technique for a defendent to use. 'Hey baby momma, shout some BS while on the stand!' Three, does the accused get to leave custody until such time as the prosecution decides to refile?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wow. One, I hope they retry this case. I obviously don't know all the facts but based upon what is public, I struggle to imagine his innocence. A defense of two guns used does seem to cloud the accusation. However, it's only a defense claim, let's see how strong it is. Two, I can't believe such a simple statement would end a trial. Clearly it can and resident esquires have confirmed such. It just seems like such an easy technique for a defendent to use. 'Hey baby momma, shout some BS while on the stand!' Three, does the accused get to leave custody until such time as the prosecution decides to refile?
    IME it has been police do it more. Bringing up prior arrests, inter alia.

Here is one of mine that made paper because there were 3 trials (unusual), I did first 2.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    IME it has been police do it more. Bringing up prior arrests, inter alia.

Here is one of mine that made paper because there were 3 trials (unusual), I did first 2.

I wonder how often jurors go out and search "my case" while they are serving on the jury.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    DAMMIT! Good to hear the Officer is stable. Happy hunting finding the dirtbag.

To the LEOs, lets be careful out there.

IMPD officer shot, injured on Indy’s east side; suspect remains at large

The incident occurred after officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were dispatched around 8:32 p.m. to the 3600 block of N. Wittfield Street near E. 36th Street in response to a shots fired call.

When officers arrived on scene, IMPD said an unknown individual opened fire, striking one of the officers. Other officers on the scene immediately provided medical attention until the injured officer was transported to Eskenazi Hospital in stable condition.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To be fair, I did not have this in my recap of the local news preempted by coverage of the gay olympics.
    WTHR actually took a 30 minute break from their nonstop Olympic crap to show the local news and weather this evening! I'm sure Olympic fans missed hundreds of events and social justice lessons in that 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    WTHR actually took a 30 minute break from their nonstop Olympic crap to show the local news and weather this evening! I'm sure Olympic fans missed hundreds of events and social justice lessons in that 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know, but I'm sure the fans will say so if they did.

I didn't.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    DAMMIT! Good to hear the Officer is stable. Happy hunting finding the dirtbag.

To the LEOs, lets be careful out there.

IMPD officer shot, injured on Indy’s east side; suspect remains at large

The incident occurred after officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were dispatched around 8:32 p.m. to the 3600 block of N. Wittfield Street near E. 36th Street in response to a shots fired call.

When officers arrived on scene, IMPD said an unknown individual opened fire, striking one of the officers. Other officers on the scene immediately provided medical attention until the injured officer was transported to Eskenazi Hospital in stable condition.

Officer released from the hospital. Wearing a Terminator shirt, power move!!

1722605245245.jpeg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    IMPD investigating homicide inside Convention Center in downtown; 1 in custody
    Hessong insisted that downtown Indianapolis remains a safe destination to visit despite Wednesday night’s homicide.

“Downtown is safe. I argue that we have wonderful technology in the downtown area that helps us solve crimes when crimes do occur,” said Hessong. “They are rare for downtown but they do happen every once in a while. But usually when they happen, we solve them pretty quickly.”
    It's so comforting to know when someone is attacked by a deranged street person and left bleeding out on the carpet of the convention center police will be there quickly to draw a chalk outline around their body.

And no, that's not a knock on police, just a reality of a downtown urban area run by democrats.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    “Yep, he was killed by someone known to us, luckily he wasn’t able to defend himself, we don’t want people to take the law into their own hands.”

Top Bottom