• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone else see the KC-135 flying a LOW pattern over Indy? Lasted for at least 30 minutes... Central/easern/north-eastern areas of the city.

I presume it to be from the refueling wing out of Grissom...

Anything to do with the 82nd Airborn reunion on the East side of the city?? (Although, not sure what a KC-135 would have do with the 82nd Airborn, other than gassing up their C130s...)

Surely I'm not the only one to have seen it?

-J-

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    c130

see them so much dont pay attention anymore. live close to attebury. when they come over franklin they are extremly low, pretty cool

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ah! Part of the Colts' festivities, I see.

Good find!

(Anyone care to venture how much this little maneuver cost us taxpayers?)

-J-

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    There has also been one circling around Fort Wayne almost constantly for over a week now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that! My daughter thinks it's the nuts, I on the other hand think it's annoying.

Edited because...I actually saw more than just one this week in the Fort. There were 3 right after another the other day!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The runway at Grissom is having some work done on it. There are tankers flying out of other locations to support training and refueling missions.

As for the low level flyover, the base has to follow a very strict protocol and get permission from AFRC Command HQ to allow it. It does help recruiting and the crews and taxpayers can get a feeling of pride that we are protecting America. Besides, would you rather spend tax dollars on practicing low level precision flying or Cash for Clunkers?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bet the Ft. Wayne water wagon is working with the nat'l guard fighter unit that's now combined with the Terre Haute folks.

And the taxpayer comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek: I do know that it's a recruitment tool, as well as excellent training. I promise!

-J-

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    KC135s are just Boeing 707s from the 60s fitted with a refueling system, not sure why they would be involved with any kind of recruitment very unglamorous birds (to look at from the ground, there beautiful when your flying around about to run out of gas and they save your butt from splashing into the North Atlantic). :dunno:

If they want to recruit folks why not do a low level AC-130 Gunship, or fighter jets. I see no reason why you would want to join the Airforce to fly a outdated commercial airliner (sure as crap not why I joined). And I know there is a fighter wing at Fort Wayne so its not like we don't have fighters available. Crap, I mean even Army blackhawks flying over is more exciting than a KC-135. :twocents:

LOWE1600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    I was at atterberry today around 6:00 pm shooting they where dropping stuff out with parachute over the camp pretty cool!:patriot:

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    KC135s are just Boeing 707s from the 60s fitted with a refueling system, not sure why they would be involved with any kind of recruitment very unglamorous birds (to look at from the ground, there beautiful when your flying around about to run out of gas and they save your butt from splashing into the North Atlantic). :dunno:

If they want to recruit folks why not do a low level AC-130 Gunship, or fighter jets. I see no reason why you would want to join the Airforce to fly a outdated commercial airliner (sure as crap not why I joined). And I know there is a fighter wing at Fort Wayne so its not like we don't have fighters available. Crap, I mean even Army blackhawks flying over is more exciting than a KC-135. :twocents:
    Just to give you a little education, The 707 was derived from the KC135. Boeing was after the Tanker contract to replace the KC97. The test aircraft was known as the Dash 80. They discovered that it would make a great transport for the airlines so they widened it and lengthened it and came out with the KC135/707 airframe. Boeing had a habit of doing this in the 40's & 50's, deriving civilian use aircraft from ones designed for the Air Force.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just to give you a little education, The 707 was derived from the KC135. Boeing was after the Tanker contract to replace the KC97. The test aircraft was known as the Dash 80. They discovered that it would make a great transport for the airlines so they widened it and lengthened it and came out with the KC135/707 airframe. Boeing had a habit of doing this in the 40's & 50's, deriving civilian use aircraft from ones designed for the Air Force.

What are you, some kind of airplane mechanic or something? :laugh:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I bet the Ft. Wayne water wagon is working with the nat'l guard fighter unit that's now combined with the Terre Haute folks.

And the taxpayer comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek: I do know that it's a recruitment tool, as well as excellent training. I promise!

-J-

I think you're right there. When I was at school back at Terre Haute in the late 90's, we would get a lot of first hand experience with the F-16's out of Hulman Intl. The take off patter was right out over Rose-Hulman's campus, and they would orbit as they formed up.

The best was when they did a flyover for a football game my Sr. Year. I think that squadron was going to do a major sporting event that year, so they practiced on our game! :rockwoot:

I have a good friend that was an F-16 mechanic in the USAF and did a couple of tours in the Sandbox prior to coming to work for us. He's chomping at the bit to get up to Ft. Wayne to see the guard unit.

Sounds like they may be doing some more training up there, and need the tankers on hand for some refueling practice.

Top Bottom