• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roncho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Thats why I always carry with one in the pipe. Then I don't even have to think about it. I don't carry a spare mag so I don't have to worry about the reload. Although if I'm not out of harms way in 7 shots, then I have to resort to throwing the gun. Or insults. :D

Good to know. That gun is not for me. When the SHTF I'm not interested in special racking procedures to get the gun to function more reliably :noway:

miltony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Evansville
    It actually just becomes automatic. Shoot till the slide locks back, slide in a full mag, release the slide lock and fill the chamber. Then pop out the mag and top it off.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I carry with one in the in the pipe as well and some times carry an extra magazine. I was taught to rack the slide and that has become habit.

Thats why I always carry with one in the pipe. Then I don't even have to think about it. I don't carry a spare mag so I don't have to worry about the reload. Although if I'm not out of harms way in 7 shots, then I have to resort to throwing the gun. Or insults. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The biggest issue I see is that using the slide release is a fine motor skill, versus the gross motor skill of putting your entire hand over the slide and racking it. Seems like that would be easier in times of distress.

However, dropping the magazine would be about the same type of fine motor skill, so maybe this is just as easy for people who train that way.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    The biggest issue I see is that using the slide release is a fine motor skill, versus the gross motor skill of putting your entire hand over the slide and racking it. Seems like that would be easier in times of distress.

Plus what if you're in a situation where you're fighting for your life in a gunfight and the gun you're using isn't yours? Where is the slide release? Does it even have one? The over the slide slingshot method works with every autoloader ever made. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

As this is apparently my pet peeve of the month, I am compelled to comment. Both of the actions you describe are "fine motor skills." The fine/gross motor skills concept arises from child development studies. Anything you do with your hands is a fine motor skill.

Even if we use the bastardized adaptation of fine vs. gross motor skills that inevitably appears in discussions of this topic, the argument is unsound. If one maintains that using a slide release is difficult or impossible under stress, why is it possible to find and depress the magazine release? That is at least as "fine" a motor skill as depressing the slide release on guns that have them. Another example is trigger control. If you can depress the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the gun under stress, and you can find and depress the magazine release under stress, why would being able to depress a slide release be so much more difficult? The answer is, it is not.

There are two valid (somewhat related) reasons for using some form of slide racking (whether slingshot or overhand) as a standard procedure for releasing the slide. Neither have anything to do with "gross motor skills."

1. It is the same action you use for other situations such as malfunctions. Developing uniform methods for addressing different problems is beneficial to many people.

2. Some guns do not have an external slide release at all, and some have only a vestigial version at best. For those, racking the slide is the only option. Using only one way to do things for all guns you might need to use is again a beneficial policy for many people.

In my case, it's very simple. If the gun I am shooting has a slide release, I use it when I need it. If it does not, I rack the slide when I need to do so. If I'm teaching someone, I will show them both ways and allow them to make their own decision based on facts, not the tired old misapplication of fine vs. gross motor skills.

As always, I could be wrong, but I'm not in doubt (shamelessly swiped from Clint Smith).

I feel better now.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Wow, New guy to the forum here, were we discussing a firearm or technique here? I have a CW9 that I carry in an ankle holster as a BUG. It's been reliable enough so far for that purpose.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have the CW9, economy level from Kahr. You can save $100's by going with the CW line instead of the "P" series.
    I love the gun because it is thin, light, and carries very easy. I've not had a problem with the gun and I have easily shot 700 rounds. The 9 is easy to handle but I've heard the CW40 is snappy and they had some slide issues with early runs.

Kahr is a great company - miles ahead of the Kel Tec brand. They are very well made and will last for many years. I've never thought twice about my Kahr.

Dashman010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Downtown, Indy
    I have a PM9 with night sights and it is by far my favorite warm-weather carry gun. Very slim, very accurate for the size of the gun. Unfortunately, my girlfriend also likes this gun, and I fear it has disappeared into her grasp (and purse) for the foreseeable future. I'm buying another, and likely will send it to Robar to trick it out a bit, just for fun, and to spite my girlfriend for stealing.

As for the "slingshoting," my girlfriend doesn't use the slide release at all, and we've never had a problem.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    threadraise.gif

I wondered how I had missed this thread being posted originally, then realized that it actually predates my membership here... :eek:

I've owned about 7 Kahrs over the years and have shot several others, and have been very impressed by their quality and reliability. Currently in my armory are the wife's K9, my P9 and my P380. I'd love to get a T9, but that would strictly be a "fun gun" and it's hard to justify the cash outlay.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Good to know. That gun is not for me. When the SHTF I'm not interested in special racking procedures to get the gun to function more reliably :noway:

While the info presented is accurate, I'm almost positive that when the PM45 came out Kahr advised you to slingshot instead of using the release. Obviously, this is not recommended any longer, BUT I remember threads on Kahrtalk about how hard it was to use the slide release (stiff recoil spring on PM45). The online Kahr rep said to slingshot it. I haven't looked for those older posts as I have always slingshotted all my pistols anyway, and it may have only applied to the PM45.

Or, I could be senile...

Long story short, slingshotting MY PM45 has always worked for ME.

Last edited:

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own a Kahr PM40 and it is a great gun. I have owned for maybe 5-6 years and have fired maybe 300, 400 rounds thru it. Have had no problems, but if you are new to guns, the recoil is stout.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    My current regular carry is a Kahr K40. I am quite pleased with it. As an all steel gun it does have some weight to it, but if that is a consideration they do make polymer framed guns also.

Top Bottom