• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I picked up a new Kahr CW40 at 21st Century Firearms this week. I'd been wanting a Kahr since I got my first handgun. Now that I've applied for my CCW, i thought it was a good time to pick one up. And 21st Century Firearms had a screaming deal going.

Took it out shooting today. Finally! I'd been dry firing it a lot to get a feel for the DAO trigger. My first group is shown in the photo below. I was pretty excited by that result! Of course from then on the groups opened up to broken shotgun patters, but this gun is fun to shoot! I was a little worried about the recoil, but it wasn't very bad at all.

I only put 100 rounds through it, but it was a good start. Kahr says you should put 200 through it for full reliability but i didn't have any problems. The gun will occasionally have trouble loading the first round of a reload, but once it's loaded, it runs fine. I suspect this is because the bullets are flat points.

My friend had his Ruger SR9C out too. The Kahr had a much better trigger in my opinion and i have never before been a fan of a double action trigger. It was just so much smoother and lighter. I think this gun may have the perfect trigger for a carry gun. I normally wouldn't like how long the trigger pull is, but for this gun with this purpose, i think it's perfect.

Anywho, here's a picture, enjoy:

kahr1.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats on your new CW40.

I was at 21st today for something else, but saw the same deal. My wife has the CW9 and it has amazed me how nice it shoots for being the size it is.

I don't know what Kahr does, but that finish on the stainless sure does clean up easier than anything else I own.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a CW45 that runs flawlessly and is my EDC with two spare mags and I agree, I love the way it shoots. I like my Glock 36 as well with six mags with four of them with +1 extensions.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    good buy. i have a cw40 that i have bought from a member here a while back. it was very well broken in and so far i have had few complaints. this truely is the easiest handgun i have ever carried. super light, compact and you're right, the super long DAO trigger takes some getting used to but IMO its reliable. i've always been a full frame 1911 cocked and locked kinda guy so going to the DAO was an adjustment, but one easily made. enjoy!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Thanks for the replies!

I don't know if that's still the price, but yes, i paid $350+tax. Also picked up a galco IWB holster. I'm starting to think i need a canted holster to carry this. I'm a little thin so even a Kahr seems large on me! but hey, they say Thin is In. I don't have my permit yet, but i filed over a month ago so i hope the clock is ticking down now! I've been carrying it around the house unloaded and the butt always seems to be sticking out too far. If i carry it at 4 o'clock, the butt sticks out behind me, 3 o'clock and it seems to stick out really far from my hip, small of back and i can't reach it because it's not canted, and 2 o'clock i can't sit or walk up stairs. Maybe i just need a .380. I'm sure i need to take a carry class. I'm a competent shooter, but this carry stuff is a big responsibility.

Anywho, still very happy with my purchase. The guy's at 21st Century are first rate!

For the owners: Where did you get your spare mags and how much did you pay?

edited to add: I've always been a single action shooter, love SA revolvers and love that tight crisp trigger pull. Love a good 1911(which i don't own) with it's crisp trigger. The trigger on this gun has made the trasition to double action so much easier. There is zero stacking(weight of pull increase with trigger travel), and it's super smooth. Aside from a Para LDA, this is the best DA trigger I've shot. And the para is cheating a little anyways, it's crazy light.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I carried my CW-40 in a High Noon Split Decision holster.

Unmolded, leather, and tuckable if desired. ALL DAY comfortable.

Only draw-back: holster mouth doesn't stay open when pistol is out. Takes two hands to reholster.

-J-

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    I carry a cw40 everyday in a Don Hume jit holster and i love it!!! I picked it up used at Bradis about 6months ago with 2 mags and an Uncle Mikes IWB holster for $225. ;):D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Thanks for the mini range report, I carry the Kahr K40 and have been thinking about picking up a CW40, the big reason I haven't is because of the staked front sight but I know they are dovetailing them now.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Thanks for the mini range report, I carry the Kahr K40 and have been thinking about picking up a CW40, the big reason I haven't is because of the staked front sight but I know they are dovetailing them now.
    I've heard they are now, but i the one i got is staked. I don't really like that, but I don't know if I'd ever buy night sights anyway.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I've heard they are now, but i the one i got is staked. I don't really like that, but I don't know if I'd ever buy night sights anyway.

I want a Big Dot!

I found 7 round mags at the Indy 1500 for $25, the clip guy sells them

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I took the Kahr out to the "range" today! I put another 150 or so rounds through her. It has definately gotten slicker and easer to operate. With Reminton ammo, it also shot right to point of aim! The cheap Independence ammo i had been shooting went high and right. The Remington ammo (which was actually cheaper!) shot dead on. I've found the slide release to be very hard to operate on new Kahrs when playing with them in the store. I think the 250 rounds this gun has through it has already made that smoother and easier.

I let my friends give it a go too! One didn't like the trigger. The other started out saying the trigger was different, but quickly realized that it is smooth and light, just a very long pull.

In short, i still like it! I want to shoot it more!

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    If i carry it at 4 o'clock, the butt sticks out behind me, 3 o'clock and it seems to stick out really far from my hip, small of back and i can't reach it because it's not canted, and 2 o'clock i can't sit or walk up stairs.

I'm not exactly "skinny" but I favor the 10 o'clock crossdraw position for all the reasons you just described.

Top Bottom