• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Since traffic is alway light in the advertizers forums...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/fortress_defense_consultants/285571-justice.html

Justice?

In the early morning hours of September, 11, 2009, David A. Flores broke into the Griffith, IN, home of sisters Kristen Kennedy (25) and Jennifer Evans (28.) Flores raped Kristen, and then stabbed both to death with a kitchen knife. He placed their bodies in a bathroom, set it on fire, shut the bathroom door and fled. The closed door caused the fire to smother out, leaving both corpses burnt and blackened.

After a day of failed attempts to communicate with his daughters via phone, their father went to the house. There, after having to force the bathroom door open, he found the charred, mutilated bodies of his daughters.

David Flores is a twice convicted rapist, who was out of jail for less than two months before deciding to savagely end the lives of these two women.

The morning of September 12, 2009, a friend called me, devastated. She knew the two women – they were neighbors. She knows the family. She knows the father.

Shortly after I hung up the phone with her, I had a moment of clarity. A thought I’d had for years finally manifested itself in its most simple form…

Justice only happens in real time.

There is nothing that can be done to bring back those two women. There is no punishment. There is no apology. They are gone forever. You cannot un-murder or un-rape anyone. You cannot erase the image of those dead daughters from their father’s memory.

The worst torture humanity could devise will never make that family whole again. In fact, the rest of us will have to pay for the incarceration, legal process, and perhaps eventual execution of this murderer. His actions will cost all of us.

Justice? There will never be justice. In such cases justice is impossible. The only way justice could have been attained was if one of those women had shot him dead at the time of the attack…because justice only happens in real time. Justice can only be had the moment a violent felon decides to prey. Once the death of an innocent occurs, it cannot be reversed.

In class I ask my students to raise their hand if they “own their own life.” I then ask them if they have families, friends, children, spouses, significant others, co-workers, partners, students, pets, bills, responsibilities... I then ask them, again, “Who owns their own life?” Not a single hand ever goes up. Yes, we are all mortgaged to the hilt.

I will be armed and dangerous till the day they drag my dead carcass off to the morgue. I have people in my life who care about me and need me here. Auto accidents happen – heart attacks – lightning strikes… But a crackhead in a parking lot with friction tape on the handle of a kitchen knife will not remove me from this Earth. I will not allow it. My father will not bury me.

I’m not suggesting vigilantism. I’m suggesting that we have a duty to protect our own lives. We need to do so for those who need us here tomorrow, and going out into the world unarmed when one has the ability and capability to do so is irresponsible.

Yes, self-defense brings with it new responsibilities. And yes, weapons are not for everyone. Self-defense also brings its own bundle of emotional, spiritual, legal and monetary problems. But one thing is certain, if we are dealing with those problems it’s because we are ALIVE. The alternative is your family crying over your coffin.

Some consider use of force to stop violence the job of the police. Some have a morality which states it is better to be murdered than to fight back against an aggressor. Some have never considered such things. Some are simply afraid. The time to confront all of it is now, not when you’re attacked.

Perhaps your conclusion will be to remain passive. If so, you can rest in peace knowing your murderer may one day be caught and incarcerated, for a little while, at least. Then again, maybe he/she won’t. Maybe they’ll go on to widow someone else’s wife and orphan someone else’s children; and maybe they’ll do it again within two months of being released.

There are consequences for everything we do, including doing nothing. We make our choices. It’s the only real justice there is. And that justice is always served.

Frank Sharpe
    Fortress Defense Consultants

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Glock21 that prompted some deep thinking for me, it help confirm for myself that I'm making the best decision for myself and family to train and arm myself for self defense.

Is it OK with you if I share this with a couple of non forum members?

I would credit you and also forward your web address.

Thanks, Pat

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Glock21 that prompted some deep thinking for me, it help confirm for myself that I'm making the best decision for myself and family to train and arm myself for self defense.

Is it OK with you if I share this with a couple of non forum members?

I would credit you and also forward your web address.

Thanks, Pat

Pat,

By all means!

It's already been published at Monderno.com, and I expect it will be up on other sites by tomorrow.

-Frank

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If you don't mind i will show this to my criminal justice class to let them know what i mean when i tell them that in some cases justice just cannot be served.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I applaud your logic and your conviction. Now, given the current atmosphere, how do we get this message out to those who really need to hear it? I'm not talking about the die hard gun grabbers, you will never sway them. I am talking about the everyday man and woman trying to make sense of all of this. The only message they ever get is from the government's propaganda arm, i.e. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, et al. Retaining our rights, in many cases, may mean retaining our lives.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Moving. It's what I've been wanting to read all month... Someone else who get's it!

It's always good to know that you're not alone in your logic. More will hear this message.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I just posted this article and link into a political forum that I am a member of on Delphi. The gun debate has been raging there for a while now, and i am one of the most outspoken advocates for guns in that forum. Thanks again for the great resource!!

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Glock21, thanks for the post. Very good article and very thought provoking. I personally have only just recently decided to carry. However, I decided years ago that in the event, I will not go quietly. Even though I might have have a conventional weapon in my hand at the time, I would use anything that I could get my hands on to defend myself and my family.

Top Bottom