Just started reloading need some rifle powder advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Just a caveat to the list I sent: Always check the load data against the bullet sizes you'll be loading. Some of the powders, while compatible with both .223 and .308, may only suitable for lighter .308 or heavy .223 bullets (depending on the original intended use of the powder).

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Are you confused enough yet? If not I'm sure the Ford, Chevy type opinionators will keep on until you are. Thats the INGO way :):

Everything is always confusing at first. But it's all good That's why I just stick with things till they click. I'm sure I'll start getting the hang of it all sooner or later.

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Just a caveat to the list I sent: Always check the load data against the bullet sizes you'll be loading. Some of the powders, while compatible with both .223 and .308, may only suitable for lighter .308 or heavy .223 bullets (depending on the original intended use of the powder).

Will definitely make a note of that and double check all my data before I start to put powder to brass. Kinda of a safety nut that way. Besides I've always had the mentality you can never be too safe with things that go boom! Thanks again.

Saw46071

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Re 223 any powder is ok but . What is your twist rate ? Check it out . Vargpowde

H335 or Win 748. I like the way 335 meters, but 748 is good as well.
    what is your twist rate ? Varget is awsome for 308 ! But not for 223 748 win . Cfe223 use powders that are caliber friendly . Ur gun will last longer and your accuracy will b good . Try 26 grains 55 grain bullet . Seating depth ? Every gun is different . Chamber a long bullet . Put it into the rifleings . Measure and shorten . I do five shot groups . When I start getting 100 yrd . Snow men off bench I quit . Would be awsome to here what kinda results u get just with seating depths .

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    BLC-(2) is what we started using in both 223 and 308, I would to grab a bottle of CFE 223 and try it out this year, along with Varget.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    H4895 is a good universal powder. H322 works really well with light bullets. VV135 was the most accurate powder out of my 18.5" AR15 with Berger 73gr LTB.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    A good place to go to and talk to someone about this would be at Profire Arms & Supplies. Andrew and his crew are great and can help you with all the advice you will need. One issue as you will learn and if not already is you really won't have much choice of powder to use since it is hard to find most at this time. You have to use what is available and go from there. But Good Luck and have fun reloading. :)

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    A good place to go to and talk to someone about this would be at Profire Arms & Supplies. Andrew and his crew are great and can help you with all the advice you will need. One issue as you will learn and if not already is you really won't have much choice of powder to use since it is hard to find most at this time. You have to use what is available and go from there. But Good Luck and have fun reloading. :)
    Yea I need to get up there and talk to those soon just haven't had the time. And yes I have definitly noticed the powder choice is very slim right now so I may just have to try a couple that I can find at first.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    When I first started to reload Varget is what I used for both 223 and 308. It work out very good in both calibers. It also gave me some pretty good accuracy results but lately I been using H335 and tried Benchmark with good results with in both. The H335 is great for using in a powder trickler since it is a disk shape powder unlike the stick shapes which tend to be a little more difficult to use in Trickler. I was going to use Accurate 2460 for loading 223 and 308 which you can do per the load data sheets but haven' t used it until the other powders are gone. All the powders mentioned in this comment can be used in both 223 and 308 which I do use or do myself.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Is the H335 or Win748 good for .308 as well or no?

Look at your respective bullet weights of the calibers that you want to load. Then look a reloading manual and see what powdersyou can use in both. For example, i reload 50 and 55gr 223 bullets and 100 gr 30-30 bullets. My reloading manual shows that I can use H322, H355, BL-C(2), and Viht N-130. I picked up H322 and H335 as those were the 2 powders available at the time.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    One other consideration is how are you metering the powder to load? I liked Varget until I bought my Dillon, stick powder was a bit inconsistent. H335 works well for me but I am not shooting match either.

^^^ this. Varget shoots extremely well in my 223, but it is a stick powder and if you are using it with a powder thrower, you'll get very inconsistent results, unless you throw short and want to use a trickler, which is time consuming. You can crush the case mouth trying to throw it on a progressive press. For all my rifles and handguns, I prefer a powder that meters well. Now for my long range precision rifle, i dont care how well it meters as I use a RCBS charge master and each charge is weighted. Now, Im not putting a lot of round down range, like with the AR, so that makes it more tolerable.

H322 and H335 meter extremely well and shoot good.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have tried a lot of powders in my 308, 358 Winchester, 358 Hoosie and my 5.56. The two that have worked the best for me in my rifles is IMR 4198 and IMR 4895. The IMR 4895 is very accurate in all my rifles. I had to step up to IMR 4198 for the Hoosier to get the FPS I needed to get it close to the FPS of the 358 Winchester. It has also given me better FPS in the 5.56 than I could get with the IMR 4895. I must add that the IMR 4895 has proven to be more accurate. So if I am going for just small groups I will stick with IMR 4895. If I want a hunting load I will go with IMR 4198.

Good luck with what ever you try.

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    I have tried a lot of powders in my 308, 358 Winchester, 358 Hoosie and my 5.56. The two that have worked the best for me in my rifles is IMR 4198 and IMR 4895. The IMR 4895 is very accurate in all my rifles. I had to step up to IMR 4198 for the Hoosier to get the FPS I needed to get it close to the FPS of the 358 Winchester. It has also given me better FPS in the 5.56 than I could get with the IMR 4895. I must add that the IMR 4895 has proven to be more accurate. So if I am going for just small groups I will stick with IMR 4895. If I want a hunting load I will go with IMR 4198.

Good luck with what ever you try.
    Thanks for break down of the two. I've been leaning towards those anyways. I will also be reloading for both hunting and precision so that helps a lot. May see if I can pick some up this weekend

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I use a powder measure/thrower, for .223, and have always used Accurate 2230. It's a ball powder and dispenses extremely well. ...very consistent drops.

Top Bottom