• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm 23 and i would have to agree with you on that. Theres younger people out there that are not helpless. But seems like the majority are, and I think its because most kids nowadays get everything handed to them. They don't work for anything, and therefore don't get any real world knowledge/experience.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    DON't BUY THE BITTY AUTO FIRE EXTINGUSHIER

Im disappointed you didn't have your own extinguisher in your car ;)

there, that make you happy? lol

!!!!THE SMALL AUTO EXTINGUISHERS ARE TOO SMALL BUY A SMALL WALL MOUNT FOR THE HOUSE THAT IS ABOUT TWICE THE CAPACITY OF AN AUTO EXTINGUISHER!!!! (tip for those now going to buy an extinguisher for their car)

I am under 30 as well.. I take extreme offense to such comments.. Yes there is a bunch of F*****tards out there. I happen to just have fire extinguishers mounted on my truck dash, and one mounted in my Cadillac trunk. I have managed to have two engine fires in my short time here on earth. Once, i didn't have an extinguisher, someone else did it was in their work truck. the second time i did and it wasn't one of those small auto jobbers.

Last fall i stopped on the side of the road on 31 ss a small car VW bug and two male lovers.. I am assuming lovers based off the rainbow stickers.. Anyway.. I put my flashers on popped the truck.. grabbed the auto fire extinguisher and attempted to put it out. it was still on the very very small side.. Now this little bottle wasn't quite enough.. to put it out completely.. but i tried.. Now, neither of these MEN bothered to say thank you for attempting to help them. They just gave me a dirty look when the fire extinguisher putted out and asked is it out yet? :cool:

I Have upgraded to a small house sized extinguisher and have mounted them appropriately

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chevy Volt

Perhaps the investigations need to go a little farther back.:):

In all fairness, the problem with the Volt was that the SOP of removing all "fuel" from the vehicles being investigated hadn't been done. IE, the batteries hadn't been discharged.

-J-

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Here's a different point of view.
    CAr fires are a b**** to repiar most shops don't want the jobs.
    Car fires are an even bigger b**** for insurance companies because they want to nail a repair price down at the beginning of the repair and most shops that will or can do fire repairs don't want to agree to a price only time and materials open ended.

Therefore my thought is that if no one is in danger and nothing else is likely to be burned you should not put out a car fire. Make it an easy total loss settlement for the insurance company..

Just my :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Im disappointed you didn't have your own extinguisher in your car ;)

there, that make you happy? lol

I used to have one but..... :dunno:

canav844, I didn't open the hood, the owner did.

watkins1988, Exactly!

I guess I'm just from the generation that was taught to take action and try to fix things instead of standing around and watching things go bad. Oh well..... :fogey:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Here's a different point of view.
    CAr fires are a b**** to repiar most shops don't want the jobs.
    Car fires are an even bigger b**** for insurance companies because they want to nail a repair price down at the beginning of the repair and most shops that will or can do fire repairs don't want to agree to a price only time and materials open ended.

Therefore my thought is that if no one is in danger and nothing else is likely to be burned you should not put out a car fire. Make it an easy total loss settlement for the insurance company..

Just my :twocents:
    Yes, but I still carry one because of you can contain a small one, or you go somewhere like the county fair where you have to park in a field and the grass hasn't been cut and hot exhaust pipes hit it, you may be stopping a brush fire not a car fire. I don't carry a big one because if that small bottle can't put it out then 99% odds are I don't want to deal with the aftermath, and probably ought to be putting more than 5 feet between myself and the fire.
    canav844, I didn't open the hood, the owner did.
    I'll have to go back, check my comments and edit accordingly, I didn't take it as you had but I thought that's where the rant was going to stem from (with fire being made worse and someone getting injured)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The earlier a fire is put out, the better.
    It's a geometric thing.
    Fires often get out of control.
    You have to care about what else will catch fire. That's why cities have firemen. They aren't there to save your house. Its to keep the fire contained.

If you stand there. Its okay too.
    Just don't get mad when someone mentions "sheeplel" in your vincinity.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never heard of a hydraulic crash sensor, much less one blowing off a bumper.
    Thought all crash sensors for SIR to be electonic.
    I dunno, haven't made any since the late 90's ;)

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Shock abosorber with the bumper and airbag cylinder is what youtube is calling it, it's been in multiple training sessions and documentation as something to be ware of at an accident/car fire scene; it was explained to me that's it a hydraulic piston that has fluid there to give a set amount of force before the airbags deploy, that fluid heats inside a vessel of fixed demension and basic chemistry says the pressure increases, and eventually the piston can no longer contain it and path of least resistance takes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPajWzThRy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDUQ-k9KYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwvC4jwQMk

The just of it being if the area near the bumpers is engulfed, get away.

Or here's a video about opening the hood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNUAUy465A

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    I'm under 30 and face-palmed at opening the hood of an engine we knew was on fire, giving it more oxygen and increasing our risk of direct exposure to flames, instead of spraying through the grill slats (while standing to the side of the car so the hydraulic sensors for the airbag don't launch the bumper into your legs if they over heat and break) to break the oxygen, fuel, heat fire triangle sooner.

How to handle car fires - Los Angeles Times

Now be fair to those hipsters, I'm sure there's killer photos on facebook and video on youtube, with clever tweets such as "car on fire"

FWIW I also keep a BC bottle less than 5 years old in the trunk, they're like $15 at Walmart, make a great easy addition to the first aid kit it rides secured next to.

Shock abosorber with the bumper and airbag cylinder is what youtube is calling it, it's been in multiple training sessions and documentation as something to be ware of at an accident/car fire scene; it was explained to me that's it a hydraulic piston that has fluid there to give a set amount of force before the airbags deploy, that fluid heats inside a vessel of fixed demension and basic chemistry says the pressure increases, and eventually the piston can no longer contain it and path of least resistance takes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPajWzThRy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDUQ-k9KYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwvC4jwQMk

The just of it being if the area near the bumpers is engulfed, get away.

Or here's a video about opening the hood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNUAUy465A
    to my knowledge airbag sensors are electronic but some cars have hydraulic bumper struts to act as "shock absorbers" in the event of a crash. thats where the dander is. shocks/struts in the suspension can also explode as can hydraulic hood struts. that last video looked like a hood strut.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I bet we're talking about two different items......

bumper rebound/decel cylinders that are hydraulic

and accelerometers used to deploy airbags.

Danger from the bumper cylinders in a fire? Yes.
    Danger from crash sensors for airbags? No (because they are electronic and not hydraulic).

Prev post then probably correct ;)

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I bet we're talking about two different items......
    Danger from the bumper cylinders in a fire? Yes.
    This is what I'm talking about, but I've heard a dozen sources give it a half dozen names, hence the youtube videos to help clear up the explanation, since we decided to make semantics such a big issue.:n00b:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hey man, if you want to call a bumper shock absorber an air bag crash sensor so be it.

I just said air bag crash sensors aren't hydraulic and don't blow off bumpers.

(and I was right).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I followed my friend to take her rental car back yesterday. The car that had been on fire was gone of course but there was a big spot of fire retardant still on the ground. I'm glad I put the fire out and didn't let the car burn. It was a small/medium electrical fire and only took a few minutes of my time. If it had been bigger I might have balked a bit but I still feel I did the right thing. Anyways......... :fogey:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County

Many of the older big cars had bumpers mounted on shock absorbers and yes they could blow up in a fire. I don't think there are been any made since the late 80's.
    As to hydraulic crash sensors, I've never seen one most are pendulum

Top Bottom