• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Given the number of self proclaimed trophy hunters that tout the OBR
    You don’t take joking all that well do you.

What would be the number of self proclaimed trophy hunters that tout the OBR be. Is there a study on this or is it just a number pulled out of the back side?

All of the guys that hunt for big deer that I know of don’t sit around talking about the OBR. We just hunt. This is the first I’ve seen discussion on the OBR in a long time and it started with fowl crying of how guys who like to hunt big antlered deer are suppressing the whitetail scene.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You don’t take joking all that well do you.

What would be the number of self proclaimed trophy hunters that tout the OBR be. Is there a study on this or is it just a number pulled out of the back side?

All of the guys that hunt for big deer that I know of don’t sit around talking about the OBR. We just hunt. This is the first I’ve seen discussion on the OBR in a long time and it started with fowl crying of how guys who like to hunt big antlered deer are suppressing the whitetail scene.
    No worse than you when the shoes on the other foot it seems.

I've seen 2-3 on this thread and talked to plenty of others. An unwillingness to control one's self without external coercion to control everyone else similarly is not exactly foreign to human nature.

Consistently successful big deer hunters pass small/young bucks on their own without coercion. Guys that want to hunt big deer but are unable to practice self restraint often tout the OBR, apparently as a substitute for that self restraint.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Who in this thread has an unwillingness to control one’s self?
    You for one.

"I like to hunt for the big boys. And I also like the venison as well. So, if the OBR went away I would be shooting that easy small buck that walks in front of me when season opens. But with the OBR I hold out for a trophy. That definitely will help keep the numbers up and provide more opportunity to those who seek any size buck. I like the rule as it is."

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You for one.

"I like to hunt for the big boys. And I also like the venison as well. So, if the OBR went away I would be shooting that easy small buck that walks in front of me when season opens. But with the OBR I hold out for a trophy. That definitely will help keep the numbers up and provide more opportunity to those who seek any size buck. I like the rule as it is."
    That post was to try to help gregy boy realize that the OBR wasn’t robbing him of opportunity.
    You would make a great media reporter though!
    Ok so I am in lack of self control. No worries, but I’m curious who else here has no self control.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I guess I have no self control either, because I let smaller bucks walk at the start of the season. Near the end of the season if I haven’t seen a big buck on our property I’ll settle for a smaller one for meat, but I don’t know anyone that would shoot a 6 pointer if a 12 was standing beside him.

I still hunt for the meat, but if I can harvest a mature buck and fill the freezer and have a trophy to hang that’s what I’m gonna do. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I don’t think so, I don’t care how you choose to hunt, but don’t demonize me because I don’t blast everything with antlers that walks under my stand.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I guess I have no self control either, because I let smaller bucks walk at the start of the season. Near the end of the season if I haven’t seen a big buck on our property I’ll settle for a smaller one for meat, but I don’t know anyone that would shoot a 6 pointer if a 12 was standing beside him.

I still hunt for the meat, but if I can harvest a mature buck and fill the freezer and have a trophy to hang that’s what I’m gonna do. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I don’t think so, I don’t care how you choose to hunt, but don’t demonize me because I don’t blast everything with antlers that walks

I still hunt for the meat, but if I can harvest a mature buck and fill the freezer and have a trophy to hang that’s what I’m gonna do. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I don’t think so, I don’t care how you choose to hunt, but don’t demonize me because I don’t blast everything with antlers that walks under my stand.
    Well it seems that if you shoot a young buck that means you have no self control. Nothing to do with the love for venison. He’s got us all figured out from behind the internet wall.

Your number four on the list now that doesn’t have self control.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    you see more antlers in the woods now than ever before. I like the 1 buck rule. I would really like to see an experimental county of say...4 points on one side or bigger only for a buck. Everyone wants a trophy. The guys who say things like...you cant eat the antlers..say it becuase they can only get a trophy by luck. Those who say that are full of crap. If a huge monster come in chasing a little doe which are you going to shoot/?? The doe is much better eating. But you would bust the monster.
    And THIS is what the trophy guys want to do^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They want to continue to dictate to everyone else what they can and cannot shoot. Antler point restrictions, antler width restrictions, whatever it is, they want to to MANDATE to everyone else what they may shoot, so that THEY can satisfy their lust for trophy racks. The hers is SUPPOSED to be managed for maximum opportunity for EVERYONE, NOT as a stud service so the trophy guys can get off.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, y'all fight amongst yourselves, but my offer still stands. If you find yourself out of room in your freezer, I'll take the backstraps off your hands. I'm helpful like that. :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They want to continue to dictate to everyone else what they can and cannot shoot. Antler point restrictions, antler width restrictions, whatever it is, they want to to MANDATE to everyone else what they may shoot, so that THEY can satisfy their lust for trophy racks. The hers is SUPPOSED to be managed for maximum opportunity for EVERYONE, NOT as a stud service so the trophy guys can get off.
    How many of they, exactly?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Well, y'all fight amongst yourselves, but my offer still stands. If you find yourself out of room in your freezer, I'll take the backstraps off your hands. I'm helpful like that. :D
    That’s the best part.

I might save the heart or balls for you if you want.

Greg might have some 6 point racks for your wall.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have no idea what you mean by that.
    I mean if you’re shooting them for meat and nothing else, you probably have a lot of basket racks laying around. Nothing wrong with that, I don’t care what or how you hunt as long as you follow the same rules as the rest of us. The only issue I take with your comments is that you label anyone who hunts for trophies as being a supporter of the OBR.

I, personally, don’t have a preference towards either. As I’ve said, I won’t shoot a small buck at the beginning of season, but if the seasons near end and I haven’t filled my tag I become less picky to fill the freezer. I’d much rather shoot a mature buck than a young buck, but that’s my preference. You may like spike bucks. I don’t care, don’t tell me what to shoot and I won’t tell you. The issue is you’re blaming trophy hunters for something a majority had no say in.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I mean if you’re shooting them for meat and nothing else, you probably have a lot of basket racks laying around. Nothing wrong with that, I don’t care what or how you hunt as long as you follow the same rules as the rest of us. The only issue I take with your comments is that you label anyone who hunts for trophies as being a supporter of the OBR.

I, personally, don’t have a preference towards either. As I’ve said, I won’t shoot a small buck at the beginning of season, but if the seasons near end and I haven’t filled my tag I become less picky to fill the freezer. I’d much rather shoot a mature buck than a young buck, but that’s my preference. You may like spike bucks. I don’t care, don’t tell me what to shoot and I won’t tell you. The issue is you’re blaming trophy hunters for something a majority had no say in.
    Nope. Never said that. ALL I said was that trophy hunters pushed for the obr, and trophy hunters want to dictate to everyone else what they make shoot. I never once said that "anyone" who hunts for big bucks supports the obr. You read that into my comments all by yourself.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ok buddy, I tried to be patient with you. Take care now. Buh-bye.
    Oh look, another question or two you can't answer to support your unsubstantiated, ignorant position. Go figure. Every indication is that you're right on the money, good job.

Top Bottom