• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most 9mm's aren't capable of 40 caliber energy levels, which IS a downside to the 9mm. To ignore that is to ignore physics.

Ballistic gel is only a standard medium and should not be confused with a representation of human tissue (instead of the benchmark media that it actually is). I have also never read a reputable comparison of pistol calibers in a statistical fashion as you cite, so please include your sources.

When it comes down to it, shot placement is king when defending yourself with a pistol. With that being said, how can you claim that a bigger sized bullet with more energy is going to cause the same damage as a smaller bullet with less energy? That doesn't add up. I do agree that the 9mm does advantages, but it isn't the ultimate cartridge that you label it to be.

I am amused that you choose to lecture me on physics. Please feel free to continue to poorly comprehend what I wrote and believe what you choose to believe.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I dont see that he is claiming its anything near ultimate. He is seeing the same thing I am seeing since I started carrying back in the 90s and chose the 40 because it had superior properties at the time.

Now 20+ years later, they have made incredible advances in ballistics tech. Is the 9 equal to a 40? No. Is it an effective round? Hell yes!

I'll reiterate my educated opinion: 9mm is VERY effective. As a recovering 40 shooter, I found that the 9 is "good enough" when combined with the increased accuracy and follow-up shots. It boils down to this; what good is a devastating caliber if you cant hit your target accurately with it?

If you really need a big bore round, just go 45. (it seems to be easier to shoot) Or if you shoot it well, Go 40. Just shoot what you are comfortable with AND WHAT YOU ARE ACCURATE WITH. :rockwoot:

But by all means, the new shooter needs to try out what they think they want before they buy.

I think micro-managing caliber is pointless. Carry what you're comfortable shooting. More people are killed by .22LR than any other caliber, IIRC. You'll be fine with .380, 9mm, .40, .45, or whatever you choose to carry.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am amused that you choose to lecture me on physics. Please feel free to continue to poorly comprehend what I wrote and believe what you choose to believe.

I'm not here to try to offend or lecture anyone. I also understand the point you are trying to make. I never denied that the 9mm has its advantages. But you made the statement "there is no real downside to 9mm in this comparison and significant advantages." I was disagreeing by stating a bullet that is bigger and moving faster - thus more energy - will probably cause more damage than a smaller, slower bullet. That is a pretty important advantage.

You choose the 9mm for its advantages that work for you. However, others might be more comfortable with the added energy that a .40 provides. It's why people still carry 357 mag revolvers, despite the disadvantages...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not here to try to offend or lecture anyone. I also understand the point you are trying to make. I never denied that the 9mm has its advantages. But you made the statement "there is no real downside to 9mm in this comparison and significant advantages." I was disagreeing by stating a bullet that is bigger and moving faster - thus more energy - will probably cause more damage than a smaller, slower bullet. That is a pretty important advantage.

You choose the 9mm for its advantages that work for you. However, others might be more comfortable with the added energy that a .40 provides. It's why people still carry 357 mag revolvers, despite the disadvantages...

I think the point is multiple smaller projectiles, delivered faster, and with more accuracy can trump bigger, less accurate rounds.*

The most important point is to not get hyperfocused on the impacts of individual rounds. Ballistically a single 40 is better than a single 9. Hands down. (and a 45 trumps both). But to ignore other factors like faster follow-up shots, more accurate shots, more bullets in the gun, etc. isnt taking in the broader picture and doing a disservice to the overall discussion.

*cant resist... 11 rounds of 22lr to the face... :laugh:

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States

OK, I was minding my own business, and quietly reading the battle, until you got nasty. The comparison of 9mm and .40 was same old boring "mine is bigger". But, the real mud slinging has started and now I got a dog in the fight.

How dare you mention my sacred 357 mag caliber and write the word "disadvantage".

And so's your sister! :)

Prescut

Last edited:

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Before buying, try a training class (back-asswards, if you wish).
    Any trainer with credibility better tell ya to carry a handgun without an external safety.
    Try to run some of their recommendations.
    Mine CCW profile,
    barrel: 4.0-4.5
    height:5.0-5.35
    length: 7.0-7.76
    width:1.0-1.25
    weight loaded: 29-34
    capacity: 10-17

doradox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2013
    Colfax
    I was given some good advice when I was looking for a carry gun. Basically if the gun you select is too big or heavy you might not carry it as often as a smaller gun. Also the larger the caliber the more it cost, for the most part, to practice with your weapon of choice. Having a gun with you and being good at using it are more important than the "size" of your gun.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I don't disagree on the 9mm thing. But I think you should go shoot both and see how you do side by side. If you are new to shooting and new to guns then it will be apples to apples when you go shoot them side by side and you will see which you shoot best.

You are 6'8" and 320 lbs. so a .40 in your hand is certainly going to feel different than a .40 in a smaller mans hand when it comes to recoil.

Just for a good side by side comparison go shoot a Glock 19 and a Glock 23. one is 9mm and the other is 40. I am not suggesting the Glock necessarily, I am just saying that comparing the caliber would be excellent on those two guns. Same gun different calibers. With the 9 you will get 2 extra rounds.

Last edited:

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't really know what I'm talking about... but heres my 2 cents

.40 is a nice caliber but your not really getting enough of an advantage over the 9mm to justify what your losing. Most of the time 40's chamber harder, are more abrasive to the barrel, more violent to the gun itself and just plain more expensive. If your wanting to go bigger I would go with the Glock 20 in 10mm, its going to kick about the same as a 40 but has a LOT more stopping power. If you want something more "fun" to shoot and easy to carry go with a double stack compact 9mm so your not losing your round capacity.

so far in my limited experience my top 5 in no particular order is...

Walther P99, P99c, PPQ (both 40, and 9mm, they are all very similar)
    Ruger SR9C (9mm)
    Springfield XDM (.40)
    Baretta M9
    Desert Eagle 50AE (first handgun Ive ever fired and good LORD it was a blast)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    To the OP's original question: What works for me in .40 is a Glock 23 with a Sig P238 .380 in the pocket as a backup. I don't know if that would work for you, but it's pretty good for me. I carry in a Kramer Scabbard in horsehide OWB on an MTAC Kydex reinforced belt. Occasionally, I'll go IWB but have never found that comfortable for long periods.

To the caliber debate: They are all pretty much the same. As calibers go up, damage goes up but capacity goes down. If you calculate wound volume, each caliber has about the same capacity to produce the same amount of wound volume. 9mm gets there at a slower rate, but can be easier to shoot. .45 does more damage per round, but can be more difficult to shoot well out of some guns. .40 sits between the two. The easy to shoot advantage of the 9mm goes away when you shoot +P. At that point, it's pretty much the same as shooting .40, but since few practice with +P, yet carry it anyway, they believe it to be easier based on higher scores when shooting WWB ammo. That's probably my biggest issue with 9mm. Folks have a higher tendency to practice with lighter ammo than they carry. That's not good.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am quite the novice, so take my response with a grain of salt...

I am in the same boat as you are in that I am a new LTCH owner, and have spent a lot of time (over) analyzing which gun to buy. I originally purchased an H&K VP9, which I love for every reason, but for me (5' 10", 180), it was a bit on the large and uncomfortable size as an EDC weapon. It was not a matter of of being able to conceal it, I certainly could, but the issue was that the dang thing was uncomfortable to deal with the everyday life sort of activities such as sitting on a hard chair, driving, running marathons, etc. :)

After coming to that realization, I have relegated the VP9 to open carry (or maybe a psuedo concealed carry) and as a home defense weapon, and decided to buy a smaller weapon as my EDC. I purchased a small Sig Sauer P938, which is chambered for 9mm, but there are lots of small guns out there that are chambered for .40 as well.

Just my 2 cents, even if you are big enough to conceal a larger weapon, it still may become a pain in the butt (literally) to carry one. It is so much easier to stash the smaller gun, and I almost don't know it is there, even after sitting for a long time (I have been carrying IWB at about 5:00).

Best of luck with your choice.

Top Bottom