• indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Back right rear wallet
    I am a lefty so for me, it was left rear pocket for my wallet for most of my life. Then in my 30s, I got hit with a back spasm that literally crippled me for several days. Hydrocodone just to get up to pee.

That’s when I started leaving my wallet in my front pocket from then on. Sitting on that bulge on one side every day, torques your spine out of alignment. My back problems are mostly gone now with the exception of overdoing it in the yard or snow shoveling.

I strictly carry oh OWB or IWB now, although there are times I would like to go shirt tucked for pool league night, but cannot open carry there. I have never fired the Walther PP in 32 ACP I inherited from my uncle (it is like new and has had only one magazine run through it), but that might make a good ankle gun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I am a lefty so for me, it was left rear pocket for my wallet for most of my life. Then in my 30s, I got hit with a back spasm that literally crippled me for several days. Hydrocodone just to get up to pee.

That’s when I started leaving my wallet in my front pocket from then on. Sitting on that bulge on one side every day, torques your spine out of alignment. My back problems are mostly gone now with the exception of overdoing it in the yard or snow shoveling.

I strictly carry oh OWB or IWB now, although there are times I would like to go shirt tucked for pool league night, but cannot open carry there. I have never fired the Walther PP in 32 ACP I inherited from my uncle (it is like new and has had only one magazine run through it), but that might make a good ankle gun.
    I've always carried my wallet in the front right pocket, never understood how so many guys carried it in a back pocket.

Mine isn't huge, but it makes me think of that Seinfeld episode with George and his HUGE wallet!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Curious, what do you mean by the lack of dedicated holster?
    A dedicated holster to the make and model of gun. No universal crap. Preferably quality lined leather with 1 3/4 double lined heavy leather belt. Holster must secure gun without straps and allow for silent secure presentation. All else IMHO is a compromise.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A dedicated holster to the make and model of gun. No universal crap. Preferably quality lined leather with 1 3/4 double lined heavy leather belt. Holster must secure gun without straps and allow for silent secure presentation. All else IMHO is a compromise.
    I thought you were speaking to pocket holsters specifically there. Of course, IMO all holsters should be specific fit, molded to a specific model gun, etc.

Not leather obviously but the alabama pocket holsters are kydex specific molded and click in fit.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The only time I’ve ever had the “I’m probably gonna have to shoot these two idiots” feeling, I was pocket carrying my old Taurus 745, right front pocket in cargo shorts. Fortunately they got the message before it got real, but I was able to partially draw the weapon from the pocket holster (I can’t remember the brand name) while still totally concealed. The two mopes never had a clue I was armed.

Long story short, sometimes pocket carry can work, and never, EVER, take your eyes off of two grown ass men riding BMX bikes.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    If something ever happened, and I was pocket carrying. I’d be scared that I’d shoot myself in the leg, and concerned I couldn’t get a good grip on my gun. There just seem to be too many more variables to try to account for with pocket carry in my opinion. What if my keys or knife or whatever gets in my way. I’m a big fan of K.I.S.S.

I like the minimalist kydex holster on my hip or under my belly.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If something ever happened, and I was pocket carrying. I’d be scared that I’d shoot myself in the leg, and concerned I couldn’t get a good grip on my gun. There just seem to be too many more variables to try to account for with pocket carry in my opinion. What if my keys or knife or whatever gets in my way. I’m a big fan of K.I.S.S.

I like the minimalist kydex holster on my hip or under my belly.
    Nothing goes in the same pocket as the gun. Period.

And I can get a full grip on the gun.

Not trying to talk anyone into it but just clarify some things. Pocket carry like all carry is about practice, correct gear, etc.

I for my part will not appendix carry for my own reasons so I get it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    One thing a lot of folks omit and I feel should be considered is what’s your post deployment plan if you have to put it away quick after drawing say dynamics change and it goes hands on quicker than you thought etc (we can split hairs on scenarios but let’s just say whatever you need to put it away)

That’s the great thing about DAO snub revolvers they are FORGIVING if you have to jam back in a pocket without a holster. I know several experienced folks (like have gave people dirt naps experienced) that run the hook in them just for that reason.

And yea they have them for Glocks I wouldn’t do that with a striker

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One thing a lot of folks omit and I feel should be considered is what’s your post deployment plan if you have to put it away quick after drawing say dynamics change and it goes hands on quicker than you thought etc (we can split hairs on scenarios but let’s just say whatever you need to put it away)

That’s the great thing about DAO snub revolvers they are FORGIVING if you have to jam back in a pocket without a holster. I know several experienced folks (like have gave people dirt naps experienced) that run the hook in them just for that reason.

And yea they have them for Glocks I wouldn’t do that with a striker

I won't AIWB anything without a hammer or, for a Glock, an SCD, precisely for that reason. The "you never have to holster quick" is complete BS. I fully recognize I am a fallible individual and one oopsie with AIWB is a bad day.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The right front pocket of my $12.98 George brand jeans from Walmart.
    And the right front pocket of every pair of cargo shorts that I own.

One of the most popular pocket guns in existence is a J frame. Easy peasy...

View attachment 368591

I buy pockets that fit the gun, not guns that fit the pocket.
    Thanks! Can't say I've ever tried to put the Hellcat in my pocket, usually it's IWB or smart carry when I need to deep conceal.

I'll have to try it out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Curious, what do you mean by the lack of dedicated holster?
    He's calling you out specifically Web :hehe:

I'd rather carry a Ruger LCR on my ankle than any firearm in my front or rear pocket.
    The size of the handgun would be small and hard to draw if needed quickly.
    I think I could ankle carry an LCR and draw it faster than any handgun from my pocket.

Hellcat314!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2024
    Fort Wayne
    In June I was talking to the wife that I was thinking of trying pocket carry...A week or so later, she surprised me with an LCP Max....Been about four weeks now and I just can like it....I have tried various holsters, positions, drills and such and for me anyway, it's just not something I can appreciate...I talked to some friends who do on occasion pocket carry and they talk a lot about how pocket carry is probably the only honest to goodness sub-second draw you'll see from regular people in the real world. After testing it out, I believe them....

I know there are some advantages such as carrying in a pocket, you have a “normal behavior” which you can use to mask your draw. A successful pocket draw does not look like a draw from the belt - it looks like you’re handing an item over. It's good for tucked-in shirt environments. I like the ease and theory of pocket carry, but in practice I can’t get into it. For a “better than nothing” situation its ok, but trying to draw while seated, running, or having a decent draw time with my hand outside of the pocket is terrible. Definitely isn't primary for me, pocket carry limits the size of the firearm you can carry. It just isn’t as efficient as a holstered IWB, OWB, or AIWB gun....guess I am back to OWB in leather....
    Yeah, I'm with on this. Been carrying for 36+ years and counting everyday work and play and have NEVER been able to pocket carry! I have had a few very nice tiny "pocket" guns over the years and still just couldn't make it work. That said my 5'11" 195 lb frame isn't exactly as conducibe to pocket carry like my 6'3" 245 lb bro in law. The only "pocket" I have had any success in is tactical/cargo pants where I can use the clip on my LCP to clip inside the pocket and then button over it. That works, but I don't live in tac pants. So I too am relegated to mostly belt/IWB carry. I do like a belly band for some applications...or at least did...but lately, my belly doth protest a tad!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He's calling you out specifically Web :hehe:

I'd rather carry a Ruger LCR on my ankle than any firearm in my front or rear pocket.
    The size of the handgun would be small and hard to draw if needed quickly.
    I think I could ankle carry an LCR and draw it faster than any handgun from my pocket.
    Except you can pre-stage hand on grip in pocket, including thumb on shelf of holster. I'll give you in certain positions it would be tougher than others, but standing up and playing pocket pool looks more ordinary than trying to hop on one leg or bend over while looking at someone (especially if you have a back issue).

If I remember correctly @DadSmith you have very large paws so it may not be for you.

I'm not advocating pocket carry in every situation, but clearly some here may not know of which they speak.

I once would have said the same.

Necessity and checking something out hands on gives a different perspective sometimes for certain situations.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The right front pocket of my $12.98 George brand jeans from Walmart.
    And the right front pocket of every pair of cargo shorts that I own.

One of the most popular pocket guns in existence is a J frame. Easy peasy...

View attachment 368591

I buy pockets that fit the gun, not guns that fit the pocket.
    I carried a S&W 360J DAO .38 Special in 'pocket carry' of a vest or coat for years during cooler months...I prefer a small revolver for pocket carry because I can't accidently put too much forward pressure on the front of the slide / barrel, forcing it 'out of battery', in a tight moment (if shooting from inside the coat pocket), causing it not to fire, as can be done with a semi-auto! I like pocket carry (at times) because I can have my hand on my gun, if needed, and not look obvious about it, especially when inside a vest pocket in the fall / winter / spring.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Except you can pre-stage hand on grip in pocket, including thumb on shelf of holster. I'll give you in certain positions it would be tougher than others, but standing up and playing pocket pool looks more ordinary than trying to hop on one leg or bend over while looking at someone (especially if you have a back issue).

If I remember correctly @DadSmith you have very large paws so it may not be for you.

I'm not advocating pocket carry in every situation, but clearly some here may not know of which they speak.

I once would have said the same.

Necessity and checking something out hands on gives a different perspective sometimes for certain situations.
    Yes I'd never get a handgun of any size out of my pocket after gripping it.
    Maybe a cargo pocket on BDU's or cargo pants. But a front or back pants pocket I'd have to pull the handgun out with my thumb and index finger. That would be ridiculous imo.

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    Pocket carry is the only way I can carry and do it consistently. There are some huge pros to carrying other ways. I try and balance that out by being way more selective where I go. At 43, I don’t put myself in the same situations as I did at 23. To each their own. Do what your comfortable with

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I use pocket carry for the occasions when I need to tuck in my shirt. As many others have noted, the size of your gun, size of your pocket, etc. all play a factor in if this will work for you. I have a pair of Wal-Mart dress pants (yeah, I don't spend much on "dress clothes") that has pockets so deep, a G19 fits in the pocket and can be easily drawn from it.

Top Bottom