• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    In June I was talking to the wife that I was thinking of trying pocket carry...A week or so later, she surprised me with an LCP Max....Been about four weeks now and I just can like it....I have tried various holsters, positions, drills and such and for me anyway, it's just not something I can appreciate...I talked to some friends who do on occasion pocket carry and they talk a lot about how pocket carry is probably the only honest to goodness sub-second draw you'll see from regular people in the real world. After testing it out, I believe them....

I know there are some advantages such as carrying in a pocket, you have a “normal behavior” which you can use to mask your draw. A successful pocket draw does not look like a draw from the belt - it looks like you’re handing an item over. It's good for tucked-in shirt environments. I like the ease and theory of pocket carry, but in practice I can’t get into it. For a “better than nothing” situation its ok, but trying to draw while seated, running, or having a decent draw time with my hand outside of the pocket is terrible. Definitely isn't primary for me, pocket carry limits the size of the firearm you can carry. It just isn’t as efficient as a holstered IWB, OWB, or AIWB gun....guess I am back to OWB in leather....

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Agreed across the board. A pocket gun is a good secondary to cover the weaknesses of, say, appendix carry. It's also nearly as body shape/clothing dependent as appendix. If you've got them thicc thighs, pocket carry of anything suuuuuucks.

+1 for this^^^^^.
    For years I carried a Seecamp .32acp as a backup to whatever was in my shoulder holster, or on my hip. I tried ankle and pocket carry, and found both required suitable clothing.
    What worked for me was straight leg jeans (ankle carry), they are not peg leg, like "skinny jeans", and do not flare like boot cut. They were the only kind that kept the firearm covered, and neither rode up or interfered with the draw.
    For pocket carry, canvas hiking pants, with sewn on slash front pockets worked well. Unlike jeans, or slacks, the pockets are not deep, and they are accessed at a natural angle, as opposed to having to dig into the pocket as with jeans. Also, no pocket liner to get tangled in, just the smooth canvas of the pants and pocket. Since these are like cargo pants, there were plenty of other places to put whatever would normally reside in my front pockets.

Just what worked for me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been dealing with some pretty severe back problems for last couple of years and switched over to pocket carry with an Alabama holster and p365-x. I mostly wear cargo shorts, or cargo pants and it has worked out well. Even added an EPS carry onto the p365x recently.

It's not going to work with standard jeans, but I do have one pair of jeans it will work with due to pocket size, etc.

I happened to try it out because I had picked up a gun from a other Ingo'er that came with a pocket holster a couple of years before and finally gave it a try.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    For me, being able to comfortably pocket carry mostly comes down to which pocket holster I use. In the past, when I bought a new small pocket sized pistol, I always picked up a BORAII pocket "holster" for it. They are usually around $20 and they add no width to the gun at all and no noticeable weight so it was a no brainer.

The only problem is the guy who owned the company flipped out and killed his whole family and then himself last year so you can't get them anymore. But I really like the minimalist design.

For some reason I really dislike the extra width those thick padded style pocket hostlers add. It makes me not even want to pocket carry if that's the only option I have. So maybe consider finding a thinner kydex holster and try carrying your new pistol as a back up gun for a while.

Attachments

• 81ncPiTHw5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      81ncPiTHw5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      159.6 KB · Views: 22

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    It's definitely not for me, either. I can't stand having pockets full of "heavy" stuff. I like my ccw secured and not flopping around when I walk. That's why it's IWB at the 4 o'clock position for me.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Chuck Haggard puts on a pretty good “Pocket Rocket” class perhaps invest in a class by a national instructor at his level.

I am hosting Haggard in October but it’s for his Less Lethal and Close Proximity Handgun which can cover it but not as in-depth as Pocket Rocket does.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I always considered pocket carry just something to do when I make a quick trip to pick up a couple of things at the grocery. I don’t find it to be a quick or easy draw, period.
    Ditto...I had picked up a very slightly used Glock 42 (at a great low price) and it's now my 'pocket carry' pistol for a quick run out to the store or somewhere, with an extra mag in the opposite pocket! It's not 'ideal', but at least I have something with me!
    The key to any type of carry is NOT to have both hands full and keep the carry side hand empty, except maybe for keys?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I use my pocket carry gun as my "polite carry"gun when I can't carry my IWB. I wear sweat pants when at home at night, and use an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster for my P 32, I used it for a while as a delivery driver, to have "a gun" I've never tried to speed draw, but there is not much I do that is fast anyway....I do have a clip on the P32, but never seem to use it, but it is on there just cause...

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpeg
      IMG_5232.jpeg
      581.7 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_5233.jpeg
      IMG_5233.jpeg
      570.5 KB · Views: 10

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My pockets already have things in them.
    I was hard-core IWB before my back issues.

Cargo shorts/pants = pretty good pocket system for me.

Upper left = cell phone
    Upper right = gun in kydex Alabama pocket holster
    Lower left = extra mag
    Lower right = keys / knife clipped in
    Some pairs have a pocket layered on outside of deeper lower left or lower right which can then serve as where the mag goes or the knife clips on depending on which side.

Back right rear wallet.

I'll work the IWB back in more at some point since I had a procedure just today to hopefully correct some of my back issues.

Like everything else, pocket carry has its place and you have to dress around it a bit, but is not as difficult as I once thought and is not limiting me on the gun I carry which I never would have thought to be the case.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I pocket carry a Springfield Hellcat 90% of the time or more. With the 13 round mag most of the time. The only other way I carry is an OWB holster if I have a cover garment, in cool weather. Even in cool weather, I prefer to pocket carry in my kydex pocket holster. It's out of the way, and I'm used to the weight.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I pocket carry a Springfield Hellcat 90% of the time or more. With the 13 round mag most of the time. The only other way I carry is an OWB holster if I have a cover garment, in cool weather. Even in cool weather, I prefer to pocket carry in my kydex pocket holster. It's out of the way, and I'm used to the weight.
    What pocket does a Hellcat fit in?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Pocket carry should be reserved to advanced shooters. An acquired skill set applies here.

Advanced shooters have earned the proof of commitment in gun craft.

For less than higher skill set EDC folks, the shortcut and lack of dedicated holsters can be a false sense of security.

One can compare it to not backing your car in the garage so when you have to leave in a hurry precious time and maneuvering is longer and complicated in getting on the road.

This is ok for many folks as they are at peace with their process in what they think is a Pleasant Valley Sunday neighborhood. But when they need to get out fast (present the gun) time and such may be the last time you handle pocket lint.

PC, like AIWB is not for everyone, but whatever one goes with, earn and acquire the skill set through lots of practice.

While there are times I PC, I never have more comfort and confidence than an uncomfortable holster.

See you on the range.

Trapper

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My pockets already have things in them.
    That is part of what complicates it for me also.
    LF- keys
    RF- knife clipped inside, any change I have.
    LR- wallet
    RR- bandanna and cell phone

so I can put it in my RF, but leave the knife and change home, when I do want to PC but I almost feel more Nekkid without a knife. So it is a fairly rare thing to do.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Pocket carry should be reserved to advanced shooters. An acquired skill set applies here.

Advanced shooters have earned the proof of commitment in gun craft.

For less than higher skill set EDC folks, the shortcut and lack of dedicated holsters can be a false sense of security.

One can compare it to not backing your car in the garage so when you have to leave in a hurry precious time and maneuvering is longer and complicated in getting on the road.

This is ok for many folks as they are at peace with their process in what they think is a Pleasant Valley Sunday neighborhood. But when they need to get out fast (present the gun) time and such may be the last time you handle pocket lint.

PC, like AIWB is not for everyone, but whatever one goes with, earn and acquire the skill set through lots of practice.

While there are times I PC, I never have more comfort and confidence than an uncomfortable holster.

See you on the range.

Trapper
    Curious, what do you mean by the lack of dedicated holster?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What pocket does a Hellcat fit in?
    The right front pocket of my $12.98 George brand jeans from Walmart.
    And the right front pocket of every pair of cargo shorts that I own.

One of the most popular pocket guns in existence is a J frame. Easy peasy...

comparo.PNG

I buy pockets that fit the gun, not guns that fit the pocket.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Pocket carry is "better than nothing" if you need to wear a tucked-in button-down shirt. Or for "I'm in a hurry, will only be gone for 10 min & don't want to bother w/ a belt." But (at least for me) the cons outweigh the pros in other situations.

Top Bottom