• ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just enjoy it and shoot it.
    Don't worry about naysayer's...just shoot it and enjoy it!
    I've had a Mini-14 in .223 and a Mini-30 in 7.62x39...loved 'em both!
    They had their issues, but for in and around the home, it's a great little rifle!
    I sold mine when I did an AR Pistol and PCC build...but loved the fit and feel of the traditional stock on the Ruger!

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I started shooting those back in the 70s, when J&G sales sold them all day for $149.00. Biggest issues were as described upstream. The huge difference in price between that and a Colt AR attracted a lot of folks but the AR 20 round used mags were a quarter and completely reliable. You had to look at the complete package.

I sold mine and bought a Colt AR, but if you were looking at the gun as strictly a short range, fast handling, light rifle, those were it's chief assets. Haven't shot one in a long, long, time.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Don’t let everyone pi$$ on your parade
    If you like it that’s all that matters. It’s accurate enough to protect you and yours. I doubt you plan on going to Camp Perry with it and I do know one thing. I wouldn’t want someone firing one at me.
    Sometimes there’s a lot of fan boy snobbery here.
    If you dig it that’s what matters. Shoot it enjoy it and forget the negativity

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Well, that was fun. I think. Ruger just can't make a firearm that is simple/easy to reassemble.

A picture -
    View attachment 368953

Took it apart, cleaned it, put it together, put the rail, dot/mag on it. Now to go shoot it. Maybe today, gotta go to work soon. Ugh.
    Like I said, I’d like to have one in .300 BLK. Just for the “neat” factor. But your pic of the optic mount perfectly illustrates why the AR 15 is vastly superior for serious use. Good luck with getting a good cheek (chin?) weld.

I consider the Mini-14 as a decent, more powerful replacement for a 9mm PCC. Best used at under 100 yards with open sights or a low mount red dot. I think you are going to have an awkward time at the range with that optic setup.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Well, that was fun. I think. Ruger just can't make a firearm that is simple/easy to reassemble.

A picture -
    View attachment 368953

Took it apart, cleaned it, put it together, put the rail, dot/mag on it. Now to go shoot it. Maybe today, gotta go to work soon. Ugh.

my :twocents: (FWIW), ditch the magnifier, take the riser off the red dot and mount it directly to the rail. you'll get a much more consistent cheek weld on the stock.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I doubt you plan on going to Camp Perry with it...
    Interestingly, that's on our list of places to shoot!
    The wife's paternal grandfather trained there before being sent to England in 1944 where he was then transferred to Normandy via Omaha Beach on June 6th, 1944, third wave, about 11:00 am?
    He served his time under Lt. Colonel, Courtney Hodges, who ran what was known as the 'Ghost Battalion".

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dad's got two mini 14's and honestly, I think they're pretty cool guns. His are the wood stock with stainless barrel and action. I have no idea what scope mount he has on his but it attaches to the left side of the receiver and allows the shooter to use the iron sights if needed or desired. The furthest distance I've ever shot is is the 100yd range at Atterbury, and it seemed accurate enough. I could cover a 5 shot group with the diameter of a Pepsi can. I was using some barrel mounted bipod he has on it as a rest. I'm sure someone with more rifle experience could probably do better than that.

He bought his during the AWB days and he picked up two for about what they go for these days. His logic then was it was a decent option that the anti 2A politicians didn't go after in the ban years.

Shoot it and have fun with it

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I like the forward mounted red dots myself. My old one had a Sig Romeo 5, my favorite of the lesser expensive red dots. Kinda miss it. It was a very simple rifle.

1 a Mini red dot.JPG

Current Mini has a similar set-up, but with newer components.
    Well, the A-team style stock is kind of a throw back.

Bonus points because I'm an old fat retired guy... who can probably crank off an entire mag from across the street... without hitting anyone... lol.

1 new mini 14.JPG

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For all I hear about that, I would still take one if the right deal came along...still think I would lean towards the 7.62x39 though.
    Yeah no.... Ruger can never seem to make the Mini 30 run on anything but the uncommon brass ammo in that caliber. The Mini 30 will absolutely CHOKE on combloc style 7.62x39.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville

A picture -
    View attachment 368953

The good news is when you shoot it just like this, you're red dot will be at eye level
    1722151983567.png

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Next month when we go out to Proteq, I will have a scope mounted on the Mini-14, then after it is sighted in we will see what it does. I can then compare it to my AR-15.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I had a SS Mini 14 Ranch back in 88.
    I think there is still some of my brass sitting on the moon.
    Was great for blasting away, but couldn't hit a woodchuck to save my life.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a SS Mini 14 Ranch back in 88.
    I think there is still some of my brass sitting on the moon.
    Was great for blasting away, but couldn't hit a woodchuck to save my life.
    Yes, my mini has the stock gas port; it throws the brass about 40 feet or more. With a mini, you can shoot to the front and bounce empties off the heads of anyone on your right flank.

Top Bottom