• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    how many of you guys that have your ltch (or carry a rifle like me) have been cpr and first aid certified? It seems like a responsible thing to do no matter what but it seems like a good idea to have them cards along with you magic pink card. It's just one of those random thoughts that pop into my head from time to time. I am certified in community first aid,cpr & aed as well as professional health care provider first aid, cpr & aed.

cbm76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    That's an interesting thought.

There's no lifetime CPR/lifesaving certification though :)

I have been certified and uncertified at different times (due to time limitations). Another consideration would be legal issues. If I remember correctly you have certain obligations if you are certified. I could be wrong though. It's been awhile since my last lifesaving/CPR certification.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    how many of you guys that have your ltch (or carry a rifle like me) have been cpr and first aid certified? It seems like a responsible thing to do no matter what but it seems like a good idea to have them cards along with you magic pink card. It's just one of those random thoughts that pop into my head from time to time. I am certified in community first aid,cpr & aed as well as professional health care provider first aid, cpr & aed.

Responsible to whom?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had a CPR cert for a while, but have not renewed it. Was offered through work, and I was on vacation with they scheduled the re-cert class.

That said, since I have been certified in the past, I certainly have the KNOWLEDGE. Just not the fancy little card. I guess I haven't valued the certification as much as the skills themselves.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was going to say have the knowledge but i am not sure if the good sammaritan act appplies if you are not currently certified

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    I am currently CPR and first aid certified because of my job (correctional officer) and I just recently got my LTCH and have carried every day since I received it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had my EMT certs before my LTCH. Its all expired now, I didn't keep it up when I moved back to Indiana, but I still have the knowledge and get some practicals occasionally during police in-service.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have my CPR/AED (Defibrilator) cert. Like you said, its handy to have and much like your LTCH might save a life some day.

I also carry a clot bandage in my "man bag" when I CC in it as opposed to a covered holster.

There's more than one way to save a life.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am about to order a military IFAK to carry also because the knowledge and cards dont matter when you dont have the supplies to care for the victim (whether the victim was an assailant before his injury doesn't matter)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am about to order a military IFAK to carry also because the knowledge and cards dont matter when you dont have the supplies to care for the victim (whether the victim was an assailant before his injury doesn't matter)

Actually, knowledge in general at the basic first aid level is far more valuable than gear. One question we hear all the time is "what should I put in my first aid kit?". With proper training one does not need to ask since one will know.

If all you are trying to do is stop bleeding, keep an airway open, and keep the patient warm and calm until further help arrives, you don't need much gear.

Now, when you start talking about care at the level of starting IVs, pushing cardiac drugs, defibrillation, then knowledge without gear is not worth much.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I agree that certain supplies are not absolutely needed and i have stopped a signifigant amount of bleeding with pressure and elevation. I just want some stuff to make it easier. i think some celox, quickclot, npa and opa, those doohickies that you use for sucking chest wounds (though they are not needed because a piece of plastic taped over the wound would do), a CAT, an israeli , and extra gloves and cpr mask ( i keep a cpr mask and pair of gloves in my wallet) would probably do everything i feel comfortable doing. If i do decide to take an EMT class i might add some more goodies.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I recently got CPR certified, but I'm not First Aid certified yet. It would be good to get certified in FA and also how to react to gun shot wounds. I'm glad I got took the CPR course. It was very helpful. Some things have changed since I last took it in high school 10 years ago.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am thinking about taking a EMT basic class at ivy tech but haven't decided yet. even if i don't become an EMT as a job it would still be handy to know

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I'm a first responder (previously called EMT Basic) and the wife is a nurse.

http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/Indiana_EMS_Commission_Levels_of_EMS_Personnel_Certification.pdf

First Responder is now Emergency Medical Responder. EMT Basic is still EMT Basic (or just EMT).

I've been a Firefighter/EMT for many years, I'm also a fire instructor, and AHA instructor. I'd be happy to run some fellow INGO members through FA/CPR/AED for the cost of the card ($3). I'll be out of state for a few months due to a deployment (I'm in the guard), but when I get back I'd be more than happy to do it if we had somewhere to hold the class.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does being so certified come with any legal expectation to use this skill under any circumstances in which an individual may have a need, or more to the point, does it imply a legal obligation to assist the person you just shot in self-defense or the defense of a third party?

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Does being so certified come with any legal expectation to use this skill under any circumstances in which an individual may have a need, or more to the point, does it imply a legal obligation to assist the person you just shot in self-defense or the defense of a third party?

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on INGO. But.....

Absolutely not. You only have a LEGAL Duty to Act if you are employed, compensated, or otherwise charged with responding or providing emergency care in such situations.

Duty to rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other end of the concern, I'll let the IC speak for its-self, but as long as you are acting in good faith in your efforts, and don't do some advanced treatment that you've not been trained to do (IV, suture, surgery, etc) and be found to be grossly negligent in your level of care provided, you are provided immunity from liability.

Indiana Code 34-30-12

Top Bottom