• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm a Firefighter / Paramedic, AHA instructor (CPR, AED, First Aid) as well. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on INGO. But.....

Absolutely not. You only have a LEGAL Duty to Act if you are employed, compensated, or otherwise charged with responding or providing emergency care in such situations.

Duty to rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    :+1:

On the other end of the concern, I'll let the IC speak for its-self, but as long as you are acting in good faith in your efforts, and don't do some advanced treatment that you've not been trained to do (IV, suture, surgery, etc) and be found to be grossly negligent in your level of care provided, you are provided immunity from liability.

Indiana Code 34-30-12

:+1:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/Indiana_EMS_Commission_Levels_of_EMS_Personnel_Certification.pdf

First Responder is now Emergency Medical Responder. EMT Basic is still EMT Basic (or just EMT).

I've been a Firefighter/EMT for many years, I'm also a fire instructor, and AHA instructor. I'd be happy to run some fellow INGO members through FA/CPR/AED for the cost of the card ($3). I'll be out of state for a few months due to a deployment (I'm in the guard), but when I get back I'd be more than happy to do it if we had somewhere to hold the class.

Well unless they just changed it again my cert says: Certified as EMS - first responder.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on INGO. But.....

Absolutely not. You only have a LEGAL Duty to Act if you are employed, compensated, or otherwise charged with responding or providing emergency care in such situations.

Duty to rescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other end of the concern, I'll let the IC speak for its-self, but as long as you are acting in good faith in your efforts, and don't do some advanced treatment that you've not been trained to do (IV, suture, surgery, etc) and be found to be grossly negligent in your level of care provided, you are provided immunity from liability.

Indiana Code 34-30-12

Thank you very much!

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Well unless they just changed it again my cert says: Certified as EMS - first responder.

They did change it, but it may have not gone into effect yet, I forget the time frame.

Indiana's EMS levels will be:

Emergency Medical Responder - Replaces First Responder

Emergency Medical Technician

Advanced Emergency Medical Technician - Replaces EMT-I and Indiana's EMT Advanced. The scope of practice is basically in the middle of the two certs.

Paramedic

EMT-A and EMT-I will be phased out over time. There are already bridge courses to transition up, or you may drop down with no education required. For you personally, as a First Responder, nothing will change except the title. Indian now is inline with the National Scope of Practise.

http://www.ems.gov/education/EMSScope.pdf

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/Indiana_EMS_Commission_Levels_of_EMS_Personnel_Certification.pdf

First Responder is now Emergency Medical Responder. EMT Basic is still EMT Basic (or just EMT).

I've been a Firefighter/EMT for many years, I'm also a fire instructor, and AHA instructor. I'd be happy to run some fellow INGO members through FA/CPR/AED for the cost of the card ($3). I'll be out of state for a few months due to a deployment (I'm in the guard), but when I get back I'd be more than happy to do it if we had somewhere to hold the class.
    Hell, I'd be interested, knowledge is always good!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am thinking about taking a EMT basic class at ivy tech but haven't decided yet. even if i don't become an EMT as a job it would still be handy to know

The EMT class is good for anyone who wants to become employed as an EMT, but for someone who just wants general advanced care (more than just basic fist aid) would be better served by taking a Wilderness First Responder class and a trauma medical class. Taking both would take less time than an EMT class and impart more practical knowledge as well.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    While I agree that more people should be certified in first-aid, I do not feel that CPR is all it is cracked up to be. I am certified in both, but I am much more apt to perform first-aid on someone than CPR. Why? Because CPR is not effective in most cases. Percentages of survival in anything other than drowning is only about 2%. So there is a 98% chance that you will not do any good performing CPR.

Drowning is different, there is a much higher success rate, about 30%. It's not like it is in the movies, CPR doesn't work every time even if you have a defibrillator.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    That's what i told everyone in my cpr classes (taken 3 this year) i think its more of a feel good action. Even if they live chances are they will have brain damage.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I agree that more people should be certified in first-aid, I do not feel that CPR is all it is cracked up to be. I am certified in both, but I am much more apt to perform first-aid on someone than CPR. Why? Because CPR is not effective in most cases. Percentages of survival in anything other than drowning is only about 2%. So there is a 98% chance that you will not do any good performing CPR.

Drowning is different, there is a much higher success rate, about 30%. It's not like it is in the movies, CPR doesn't work every time even if you have a defibrillator.

That's what i told everyone in my cpr classes (taken 3 this year) i think its more of a feel good action. Even if they live chances are they will have brain damage.

Good points. About a year and a half ago, I had a couple of doctors (both the one who had treated my mom and one who was treating me for my own issues) and a handful of nurses work really hard at convincing me of this, particularly in terms of the fact that there was absolutely nothing I could have done even with such training in the face of the 100% blockage in one of arteries in my mom's heart which was responsible for her death. It truly was a difficult idea to grasp.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

CPR is intended to extend the amont of time a person remains viable so that advanced care has time to arrive and cardiac drugs and defibrillation can be effective. However, the statistics are misleading. CPR is indeed not overall that effective, but that's counting all the times that no interventions would work regardless. For someone who is viable, CPR has a higher success rate than the overall rate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

CPR isn't about increasing the odds of survival as much as increasing the amount of brain tissue that survives and the resulting quality of life for those that do survive.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I'm formally first responder certified. If I have to use my training on someone I run across that is innocent, thats something I will do. If I get into a self-defense shooting, I'm gonna let em bleed. Too much bad can happen if they wake up and find the guy that shot them now working on them and doing something that hurts, then they grab another weapon and the fight is back on. Theres too much liability involved in helping someone you just shot to worry about it. The only thing I'll do is call 911. "theres been a shooting at XXXX street. Roll medics and district cars to the location. Suspect was armed, I was in fear for my life. I am wearing clothes(whatever I have on) and will be here when you arrive." then when the police arrive its "he had a weapon, it is now lying (wherever it is now). I was in fear for my life, he was going to kill me. Please may I have some medical attention and my lawyer." Then I shut up and do what the legal beagle says, thats why I pay him.

Top Bottom