• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, just just informed me that since I now reside in Kentucky, I am not really welcomed here. So I will drop out of this forum, hope this will make you & others that share the same opinion, happy. If I am not wanted somewhere I leave. This was an interesting website forum, that I "Thought" was a good one. I was wrong, now wondering if there are others, like you, that aren't very courteous toward fellow members here. <Good Bye All>
    Wow, your more sensitive than my wife.:D I think most hoosiers and kentuckians understand the rivalry between the states (athletics...) and defending ones state is par for the course. Heck, his defense of Indiana and explanation was more civil than most would be. This is a Indiana Gun site, but ALL are WELCOME, but if you knock the state, you will most likely get a ribbing in return, all in good fun. I hope your reconsider and stay, actually I don't really care, but if you leave because of what was said in this thread, I think you should re-asses what was said and realize, you took it too personally, misunderstood the intentions of comments. Good day.;)

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Door butt hit don't out way let baby cry on the you.
    Today's word jumble for the oversensitiveness displayed in this thread.

OMG

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've loved Indiana since I first visited, and then moved here within 3-4 months.
    snip.

Same with us, though it took a couple years to make the move after we came over to visit friends. Only thing I hate about it is the winters. BRRR!!!! Somehow, they seem nastier than Alaska's, which didn't bother me. One thing that surprised us was the relative lack of public hunting lands :(

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Same with us, though it took a couple years to make the move after we came over to visit friends. Only thing I hate about it is the winters. BRRR!!!! Somehow, they seem nastier than Alaska's, which didn't bother me. One thing that surprised us was the relative lack of public hunting lands :(
    Lack of public hunting would be a shocker when moving from Alaska. Moving from Texas, where there are virtually no public hunting lands, Indiana seemed to be covered with state forests and of course the Hoosier National Forest and Jefferson Proving Ground.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Your post wasn't very nice or friendly. I didn't join this forum to talk about politics but rather Guns & Hunting with some Conservation pratices thrown into the mix.

Must have forgotten he was posting in the political forum. :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Lack of public hunting would be a shocker when moving from Alaska. Moving from Texas, where there are virtually no public hunting lands, Indiana seemed to be covered with state forests and of course the Hoosier National Forest and Jefferson Proving Ground.

Little lack of clear communications on my part LOL. I was in Alaska 20 years ago. NOTHING compares to Alaska. Loved the place.

We moved here from PA a couple years ago. They had state game lands all over the place. Some better than others, some were heavily over hunted, others were hard to get around, but had the better hunting.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Well, just just informed me that since I now reside in Kentucky, I am not really welcomed here. So I will drop out of this forum, hope this will make you & others that share the same opinion, happy. If I am not wanted somewhere I leave. This was an interesting website forum, that I "Thought" was a good one. I was wrong, now wondering if there are others, like you, that aren't very courteous toward fellow members here. <Good Bye All>

And another one bites the dust....have fun with your kissing cousin.

Now that was mean. Get a thicker skin and suck in your lip sister.

Don't bad mouth IN and not expect a polite rebuttal.

I guess I'm saying eat s$$t and ___.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    And another one bites the dust....have fun with your kissing cousin.

Now that was mean. Get a thicker skin and suck in your lip sister.

Don't bad mouth IN and not expect a polite rebuttal.

I guess I'm saying eat s$ and ___.

I think your post toward me is very insulting. I am certain anyone on this forum, who happens to live in the State of Kentucky, would also be insulted by your childish remarks. Looks like this forum is poorly supervised. This is NOT a very friendly forum by any means judging by what I've read in this and other post/threads.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I think your post toward me is very insulting. I am certain anyone on this forum, who happens to live in the State of Kentucky, would also be insulted by your childish remarks. Looks like this forum is poorly supervised. This is NOT a very friendly forum by any means judging by what I've read in this and other post/threads.
    Davers, do you have brothers? Sisters?

It's the same concept here. This is a well-moderated forum, and the TOS is very specific to what the rules are. The MODs, IMO, are very even-handed at shutting a person down that has violated the rules or telling someone that is offended that, "Hey, they didn't violate the TOS. Sorry." We get a bit raucous at times.

Chill out a bit, do some more reading and jump in on another thread.

No quarter is given, but I think we are a pretty even bunch overall. Take this in the spirit of friendship. :ingo:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've loved Indiana since I first visited, and then moved here within 3-4 months.

Some of you people don't know how good you got it. I moved here from Connecticut. Housing prices at least 3-4X what they are here. Property taxes 10-100X more. Auto Insurance 2-3X higher. And harder to get a carry permit, and hardly anyplace to shoot.

I think, with some exceptions, that each state has some trade-offs when everything is considered: property taxes, income taxes, sales tax, cost of living, job availability.

I considered moving to Alabama a couple of decades ago. Housing costs were LOW. For example, the house that got me interested was 3600 sq ft, with 15 acres, 3 out buildings, for $45,000. Property taxes on that property were $150 per year. Sales taxes were higher, and utilities were higher (by a LOT).
    The biggest downside was that there were no jobs other than minimum wage stuff. Well, the other downside was the summer, of course.

One fun aside, while I was there visiting, I happened to be listening to the weekly local county board meeting which was always broadcast on the radio. A Walmart wanted to build a new store, and of course wanted all sorts of tax abatements, wanted free utilities, free road improvements, etc., and said that if the county didn't GIVE them all of those incentives, then they may not build there. A county commissioner said "if you don't think you can pay your bills, we're not sure if we want you to build here."

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Welcome to the forum. When you make statements about Indiana and it's governor, you might get opposing views. You might consider that this is a forum dedicated to Indiana Gun Owners, not that you have to be an Indiana resident to be a member, but well, there are a lot of loyal Hoosiers here. I reviewed my post and didn't see it as mean and it wasn't meant to be. I simply don't agree with everything you said. The purple text indicates humor. If you perceived my response as unfriendly and not nice, then you'd better hold on to your horses. There is a lot of name calling and personal attacks tolerated here, especially in police-related threads. If you want to discuss this further, it might be best if you PM me.

You have to be fair though. Some of his statements were true, and that's just the way it is. Part of it seems to be a difference in southern vs. northern government (low property taxes vs higher sales taxes seem to be the norm in southern states). Most of the rest of his comments stem from that basis.

I've lived in Ind. all my life, and like it a lot, but it's far from perfect. For example, everyone holds Daniels up as such a shining example of a great governor, but I would disagree: he's FAR too willing to lavish millions in gifts and incentives on companies to bribe them to come to our state to hire 300 people for 5 years. He's also far to willing to grant long-term leases public property to foreign entities. In other words, he's just another big government tool.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Davers, do you have brothers? Sisters?

It's the same concept here. This is a well-moderated forum, and the TOS is very specific to what the rules are. The MODs, IMO, are very even-handed at shutting a person down that has violated the rules or telling someone that is offended that, "Hey, they didn't violate the TOS. Sorry." We get a bit raucous at times.

Chill out a bit, do some more reading and jump in on another thread.

No quarter is given, but I think we are a pretty even bunch overall. Take this in the spirit of friendship. :ingo:

Any other old Fidonet sysops here? Remember the rules pertaining to behavior?

Policy 4
    a) Do not annoy others
    b) Do not be too easily annoyed

That's it.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We moved here from Maine and I live in the southern part of the state. The winters here in Indiana, are at worst trivial, by comparison.

Another very important difference between Indiana and northern New England is the first question my wife asked me when on the phone, when I had concluded my job interview here in 1992. She said "Are the people friendly?" I replied "I have had more casual conversations with strangers today than I have had in Maine in the past two years combined." That is no exaggeration.

The second question she asked me was also very important: "Will they make fun of my accent?" The Mainers were often quite rude in ridiculing my wife's lovely west texas accent. I replied "No, they won't even notice your accent." She said "How is that possible?" I explained to her what I had discovered earlier that day is that culturally, southern Indiana is in the south beginning at Columbus and then further south. It was obvious from people's accents just even when stopping at the rest stops. I was right, we have been here 18 years and not one person has remarked that they noticed that my wife has an accent. It is not different enough from the accent of those that were raised here to even notice hers.

It has been a good move for us. The deer hunting in Indiana is about 50 times better than it is in Maine. Maine is striving to get their deer population up to 300,000, when I was there it was 100,000 appproximately. In Indiana the state is unsuccessfully trying to get the deer populaton here down to 300,000.

Although most of this summer I would have been happier if I were in Maine, it was the worst summer of my lifetime here.

:twocents:

Terry

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ... "Are the people friendly?" I replied "I have had more casual conversations with strangers today than I have had in Maine in the past two years combined." That is no exaggeration.

..."Will they make fun of my accent?" The Mainers were often quite rude in ridiculing my wife's lovely west texas accent. I replied "No, they won't even notice your accent." She said "How is that possible?" I explained to her what I had discovered earlier that day is that culturally, southern Indiana is in the south beginning at Columbus and then further south. It was obvious from people's accents just even when stopping at the rest stops. I was right, we have been here 18 years and not one person has remarked that they noticed that my wife has an accent. It is not different enough from the accent of those that were raised here to even notice hers.
    :): :wavey: Y'all come back now, y'hear?
    A topic of interest to me: language, culture, and accent.
    But then again, they were so very good to me when I lived a short spell in Indy.
    Hoosier hospitality is no accident.

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I grew up in Fla., have lived in Tenn and Ohio and visited many states incl. California. There is more to living in a state than taxes, etc. I have lived here in central Indiana for almost 20 years and love it. Some of the intangibles that I love about Indiana are the people, conservative political climate and the common sense can-do attitude. Currently raising a family here and plan to live here forever. You can always quickly visit other places for lots of things we don't have here like beaches and mountain skiing. Like I tell folks who complain, if you don't like it, feel free to leave, we don't want anymore people here anyway.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Let me make sure I understand.

You jump on a forum called INDIANA GUN OWNERS, jump into the POLITICAL FORUM, and post a negative rant about the state of Indiana, declare that you don't like it here and expect to move back home eventually, where everything's better, and expect everyone to welcome you with open arms. Then, when some members have the gall to disagree with you, and defend their state, you get overly butt-hurt and promise to leave. Then, instead of leaving, you stick around and whine about how the forum is moderated, and cry about the unfriendliness of the mean old Indiana Gun Owners membership.

Does that about sum it up?

I don't know why you're not more popular around here.

Top Bottom