• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    just as a matter of curiosity, is TN running in the red or the black?

and at least we can carry in bars and get our drink on while carrying.* ;)

*the poster does not support or condone the consumption of alcoholic beverages while carrying any weapon including but not limited to handguns, long guns, clay mores and flamethrowers.

They're definitely on the red side of the ledger.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    just as a matter of curiosity, is TN running in the red or the black?

and at least we can carry in bars and get our drink on while carrying.* ;)

*the poster does not support or condone the consumption of alcoholic beverages while carrying any weapon including but not limited to handguns, long guns, clay mores and flamethrowers.

Looks like a $1B shortfall.

Tennessee State Budget

and comparatively speaking,

Indiana State Budget

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    DON'T EVEN GO THERE!!! We still owe for the last one and the Colts got the DEAL OF THE CENTURY on their use of Lucas!!! I can't afford to go there but I sure as Hell help pay for it with my taxes. :xmad:

Yeah, Peterson didn't do the tax payers any favors. Daniels bailed him out as best he could, but the damage was already done.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    ...snip...

Anyway, having just moved here from the South, I have to ask, WTF? A state income tax, a County income tax and a 7% sales tax and still the roads suck? I have to pay $130 per child for "school text book rental"? (I have 4 kids in school) We had NO state income tax in Tennessee. We had a sales tax that was higher at 9% than here but I never had to pay to put my kids in PUBLIC SCHOOL!
    The property tax is higher here too.
    What gives Indiana? Where the heck is all that tax money going? I make more $$ per year here than I did in Tennessee and yet, due to all the state hands digging in my pockets every pay day I bring home less money than I did in Tennessee.

So far, I am real un-impressed with Indiana and I can see us heading back to Tennessee some day for sure. I promised the older kids that they could graduate from the school they are in now rather than moving again as I know that is hard on you when you are a teen. But that is just 4 years from now. I think I can last that long here but I'm not 100% sure. Alot depends on how bad winter kicks my butt.

I just had to rant there. Thanks for listening.

Well, who did you think was paying for Tencare and all those freebies they hand out down there? :laugh:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Um... Do you hunt? Wait till you see the approved rifle caliber list...

Oh, and be sure to apply for your LTCH now. You really want to get it.

Indiana is odd, but filled with really nice folks. There is a tendency to move in, complain, hate the first 2 years, get used to the place, and then never want to leave.

I guess it is an acquired taste.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    My family has been here since the 1840s, love it and will be coming back once I get done with the whole Air Force thing. Although ill be moving further away from Indy....... :yesway:

But for all the negatives its a pretty darn good place to live, as long as you stay away from the surrounding countys of Indy, and the far north west region.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Moved here recently from Tennessee. Moved for a job, and getting away from a boss that I was daily wishing a heart attack or some other violent end on. That crap is mentally taxing.:xmad:

Anyway, having just moved here from the South, I have to ask, WTF? A state income tax, a County income tax and a 7% sales tax and still the roads suck? I have to pay $130 per child for "school text book rental"? (I have 4 kids in school) We had NO state income tax in Tennessee. We had a sales tax that was higher at 9% than here but I never had to pay to put my kids in PUBLIC SCHOOL!
    The property tax is higher here too.
    What gives Indiana? Where the heck is all that tax money going? I make more $$ per year here than I did in Tennessee and yet, due to all the state hands digging in my pockets every pay day I bring home less money than I did in Tennessee.

So far, I am real un-impressed with Indiana and I can see us heading back to Tennessee some day for sure. I promised the older kids that they could graduate from the school they are in now rather than moving again as I know that is hard on you when you are a teen. But that is just 4 years from now. I think I can last that long here but I'm not 100% sure. Alot depends on how bad winter kicks my butt.

I just had to rant there. Thanks for listening.

Hi Mike, My Brother & I moved out of Indiana (Evansville) back in 2008. We now live in Ky & own 83 acres of land + a new Log home built in 2006, which has a full basement. At the time we moved the sales tax in Indiana was 6% and there was talk of property tax decreasing but THAT never happened. Here in Ky we pay our property Taxes once per year and NOT twice (Spring & Fall) like in Indiana. The rate is also much less, about 1/2 as much (Spring or Fall) rates in Indiana.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    wanna know where it's going? See those blue counties...

266px-Indiana_Presidential_Election_Results_by_County,_2008.svg.png

I see what you did there. Implying that the democratic counties are taking the money. NOT TRUE.

commute_fig2.gif

The above graphic shows by count inflows (dark) outflows(light) for 2007.

Found here: Commuting Brings Money In or Takes Money Out

A similar chart can be found on page 5 of the following: http://www.indianafiscal.org/docs/IFPI_IntrastateTax.pdf

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hi Mike, My Brother & I moved out of Indiana (Evansville) back in 2008. We now live in Ky & own 83 acres of land + a new Log home built in 2006, which has a full basement. At the time we moved the sales tax in Indiana was 6% and there was talk of property tax decreasing but THAT never happened. Here in Ky we pay our property Taxes once per year and NOT twice (Spring & Fall) like in Indiana. The rate is also much less, about 1/2 as much (Spring or Fall) rates in Indiana.
    I believe that one does have the option of paying one's property taxes once a year. My wife and I, both native Hoosiers, moved here after retirement, after having lived mostly in Florida and Texas. No state income tax in either state. We moved back for family reasons. The taxes seem higher here, but the cost of living seems to balance out. Things aren't perfect here, but we like the life-style, except in Indyucky we have to put up with all the UK and UofL fans. The handgun license is way cheaper than Texas and no hassle. I like Governor Daniel's attempt to keep us fiscally responsible. All that being said, being a Hoosier may not be for you. To each his own. Oh, I almost forgot, if you really don't like it here, there are some on here that might want your job once you vacate it. Keep us posted.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I like Governor Daniel's attempt to keep us fiscally responsible. All that being said, being a Hoosier may not be for you. To each his own. Oh, I almost forgot, if you really don't like it here, there are some on here that might want your job once you vacate it. Keep us posted.

I lived in Indiana for 59 years being born & raised there. When my Mother passed away back in 2006; my Brother & I decided to move and did so back in July of 2008. We sold our home in TWO days and bought this property in Ky paying cash so no borrowing needed to buy this property. I am also retired as well as my Brother is also retired. While we voted for Mich Daniel when we lived in Evansville, I really didn't think he was that great of Governor. He destroyed a lot of good farmland and wildlife habitat with his I-69 project. Also Indiana, like many States is having money & budget issues.:twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I lived in Indiana for 59 years being born & raised there. When my Mother passed away back in 2006; my Brother & I decided to move and did so back in July of 2008. We sold our home in TWO days and bought this property in Ky paying cash so no borrowing needed to buy this property. I am also retired as well as my Brother is also retired. While we voted for Mich Daniel when we lived in Evansville, I really didn't think he was that great of Governor. He destroyed a lot of good farmland and wildlife habitat with his I-69 project. Also Indiana, like many States is having money & budget issues.:twocents:

Yep, Davers, you are a happy camper. You've voted with your feet. You made your point twice. I can tell you that there are a lot of former Kentuckians doing just the opposite as you and are now living in Southern Indiana. The homes here are much more reasonable than in the Louisville area. I suppose you are happy with the Democrats in Frankfort running the state. Personally I think Kentucky politics is a joke. They can't get bridges built here. Heck, they couldn't even get a bridge painted here without a big scandal with payoffs that dragged on for years. You can of course just ignore the politics, relax and watch your Kentucky professional sports team...oh, oh...:p

Last edited:

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Yep, Davers, you are a happy camper. You've voted with your feet. You made your point twice. I can tell you that there are a lot of former Kentuckians doing just the opposite as you and are now living in Southern Indiana. The homes here are much more reasonable than in the Louisville area. I suppose you are happy with the Democrats in Frankfort running the state. Personally I think Kentucky politics is a joke. They can't get bridges built here. Heck, they couldn't even get a bridge painted here without a big scandal with payoffs that dragged on for years. You can off course just ignore the politics, relax and watch your Kentucky professional sports team...oh, oh...:p

Your post wasn't very nice or friendly. I didn't join this forum to talk about politics but rather Guns & Hunting with some Conservation pratices thrown into the mix.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Um... Do you hunt? Wait till you see the approved rifle caliber list...

Oh, and be sure to apply for your LTCH now. You really want to get it.

Indiana is odd, but filled with really nice folks. There is a tendency to move in, complain, hate the first 2 years, get used to the place, and then never want to leave.

I guess it is an acquired taste.

I've loved Indiana since I first visited, and then moved here within 3-4 months.

Some of you people don't know how good you got it. I moved here from Connecticut. Housing prices at least 3-4X what they are here. Property taxes 10-100X more. Auto Insurance 2-3X higher. And harder to get a carry permit, and hardly anyplace to shoot.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Your post wasn't very nice or friendly. I didn't join this forum to talk about politics but rather Guns & Hunting with some Conservation pratices thrown into the mix.

Welcome to the forum. When you make statements about Indiana and it's governor, you might get opposing views. You might consider that this is a forum dedicated to Indiana Gun Owners, not that you have to be an Indiana resident to be a member, but well, there are a lot of loyal Hoosiers here. I reviewed my post and didn't see it as mean and it wasn't meant to be. I simply don't agree with everything you said. The purple text indicates humor. If you perceived my response as unfriendly and not nice, then you'd better hold on to your horses. There is a lot of name calling and personal attacks tolerated here, especially in police-related threads. If you want to discuss this further, it might be best if you PM me.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Welcome to Indiana, The Land of Taxes! Have you registered your vehicles yet? Another rip off!! IIRC when they started the Lottery the revenue was supposed to go towards fixing the schools and roads. Where the HELL has all that $$$ gone? There must be twenty lotto games you can play in this state and the schools and roads still suck!!! :xmad:

It's funny you conjoin vehicle taxes and the lottery:

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Welcome to the forum. When you make statements about Indiana and it's governor, you might get opposing views. You might consider that this is a forum dedicated to Indiana Gun Owners, not that you have to be an Indiana resident to be a member, but well, there are a lot of loyal Hoosiers here. I reviewed my post and didn't see it as mean and it wasn't meant to be. I simply don't agree with everything you said. The purple text indicates humor. If you perceived my response as unfriendly and not nice, then you'd better hold on to your horses. There is a lot of name calling and personal attacks tolerated here, especially in police-related threads. If you want to discuss this further, it might be best if you PM me.

Well, just just informed me that since I now reside in Kentucky, I am not really welcomed here. So I will drop out of this forum, hope this will make you & others that share the same opinion, happy. If I am not wanted somewhere I leave. This was an interesting website forum, that I "Thought" was a good one. I was wrong, now wondering if there are others, like you, that aren't very courteous toward fellow members here. <Good Bye All>

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Well, just just informed me that since I now reside in Kentucky, I am not really welcomed here. So I will drop out of this forum, hope this will make you & others that share the same opinion, happy. If I am not wanted somewhere I leave. This was an interesting website forum, that I "Thought" was a good one. I was wrong, now wondering if there are others, like you, that aren't very courteous toward fellow members here. <Good Bye All>

Nope, I didn't get that impression at all. Seemed to me he was just explaining a bit of the website, and he offered to discuss any issues with you via PM. :dunno: Of course there are "non-courteous" posters here...this IS the Internet, after all. The good outweighs the bad...on most days :D

Also, Bazooka---you comparing Indiana women to "The Bubonic Plague"? :draw: You should see some of the ones up in Michigan...it's a beautiful thing ;):rockwoot::rockwoot:

Top Bottom