• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The Senate is holding pro forma sessions every few days during the break to prevent Obama from making a recess appointment to SCOTUS

The concept of "recess appointments" seems really shady. Did they have a decent purpose in the past? Seem like more of an abuse tool today

They have been around since the early days of the republic. Recall that, back in the day, it would take several days or weeks of travel for members of Congress to go "home" and come back to DC. During those recesses, sometimes appointments need to be made to continue the business of gov't. It made sense to allow time-limited appointments.

In the modern era, they are a way to kick the advice-and-consent can down the road.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The Senate is holding pro forma sessions every few days during the break to prevent Obama from making a recess appointment to SCOTUS

The concept of "recess appointments" seems really shady. Did they have a decent purpose in the past? Seem like more of an abuse tool today

They have been around since the early days of the republic. Recall that, back in the day, it would take several days or weeks of travel for members of Congress to go "home" and come back to DC. During those recesses, sometimes appointments need to be made to continue the business of gov't. It made sense to allow time-limited appointments.

In the modern era, they are a way to kick the advice-and-consent can down the road.

More important, congress was in session only a small portion of the years in the early years of our republic, affording the president a much larger administrative role than we generally find today, although in most regards more circumspect than today given that at the time the government still pretty much lived within the Constitution rather than most if its functions representing extraconstitutional power grabs.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    Our future depends on this election not because of who will be president, but who they will appoint to replace Justice Scalia (and possibly one to two more seats). I'm not a big fan of any of the Republican candidates but in the grand scheme of it all I will vote republican to protect our liberties.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-senate-dem-warns-trump-supreme-court-pick-183501787--politics.html

My worry is, with the hard right running the show, that the likelihood of the nominee being mainstream is decreasing every day," Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

Asked to define mainstream, Schumer said, "You know it when you see it."

1) At least it will be fun, for a change, seeing the dems instead of the R's being viewed as Obstructionists...blockers...gridlock...

2) I've heard him say several times, even in the last debate, he wants someone just like Scalia.

3) I haven't heard him say he wants someone anti R-v-W...anyone heard that? Got a reference? If so, that's a mistake. I've said all along R's need to pick the battles they can win for a change. Go after fiscal responsibility.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    1) At least it will be fun, for a change, seeing the dems instead of the R's being viewed as Obstructionists...blockers...gridlock...

2) I've heard him say several times, even in the last debate, he wants someone just like Scalia.

3) I haven't heard him say he wants someone anti R-v-W...anyone heard that? Got a reference? If so, that's a mistake. I've said all along R's need to pick the battles they can win for a change. Go after fiscal responsibility.

I don't want someone that's pro Roe. I also don't want someone that's anti-Roe. That sounds impossible, I know. What I want is someone who is pro-Constitution. I want someone who respects the rights of all American citizens. What I want is someone who will work to put the Court back on solid Constitutional ground. I want to see Kagan and Sotomayor, Ginsburg,Breyer and maybe even Kennedy either resign or be impeached for failing to discharge the duties of their offices. When the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed", that doesn't mean you start looking for ways to infringe. When you're supposed to be impartial, you don't endorse one candidate over the other- you stay above the fray and cast your own vote, privately.

Justice Scalia will not be replaced-that's not possible. However, someone will need to fill his seat at the bench and that person needs to hold the same principles he held, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't want someone that's pro Roe. I also don't want someone that's anti-Roe. That sounds impossible, I know. What I want is someone who is pro-Constitution. I want someone who respects the rights of all American citizens. What I want is someone who will work to put the Court back on solid Constitutional ground. I want to see Kagan and Sotomayor, Ginsburg,Breyer and maybe even Kennedy either resign or be impeached for failing to discharge the duties of their offices. When the Constitution says, "shall not be infringed", that doesn't mean you start looking for ways to infringe. When you're supposed to be impartial, you don't endorse one candidate over the other- you stay above the fray and cast your own vote, privately.

Justice Scalia will not be replaced-that's not possible. However, someone will need to fill his seat at the bench and that person needs to hold the same principles he held, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

"Anti-Roe" does not necessarily mean anti-abortion...it could be. Anti-Roe also means you believe that the court made its decision on faulty grounds. I am anti-Roe in that light. I am anti-abortion on other points as you and I have discussed a few times.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Hear ya bill. SCOTUS is not a religious bully platform, it's not the place to make law. It's the place to uphold the constitution for everyone exactly the same. That's who I think Larsen is, tough to know because of her age and experience, but she seems to be that kind of person.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Anti-Roe" does not necessarily mean anti-abortion...it could be. Anti-Roe also means you believe that the court made its decision on faulty grounds. I am anti-Roe in that light. I am anti-abortion on other points as you and I have discussed a few times.

I agree. Roe, and the cases thatcame before it, including Griswold​ were decided based upon horrible logic and a misinterpretation of the constitution. You don't have to be anti-abortion to hold that opinion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Ain't gonna happen. Our side is terrorists. Their side is freedom fighters. That's how the Dems and most of the mainstream press are gonna play it.

Blessings,
    Bill

I have to agree with all of this. I just want someone who will interpret the constitution for what it says. Evolving meaning is worthless for a state based on rule of law. Laws mean what they meant when they were passed. That's why we have a mechanism to change laws and the Constitution.

I am anti-roe in that sense.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I say we invent time travel, go back to 1790 or so and grab one of the younger Founders, bring him back and put HIM on the Supreme Court. Let EVERYONE see what an "Originalist" REALLY thinks. . .

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I say we invent time travel, go back to 1790 or so and grab one of the younger Founders, bring him back and put HIM on the Supreme Court. Let EVERYONE see what an "Originalist" REALLY thinks. . .

Perhaps we should define originalist, because I really think it wouldn't be palatable to most Americans today- conservative nor liberal. Can you set some parameters?

Top Bottom