• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have been earnestly searching for a job for quite some time now. So many times in the application process, I encounter a situation where I provide all the required information, jumping through all the hoops, only to get to the last screen of the application and I get stopped dead in my tracks.

More and more, potential employers require that I provide both my SSN and DOB so they can run the "necessary" background checks. IMHO this is not only highly unethical, but should be illegal.

One, why should I be forced to provide such sensitive personal information over the internet to be viewed by "God knows who" in an office "God knows where" for "God knows what purpose"???

Two, of what relevance does my credit report have in relation to my ability to do a specific job? Yes, I understand that certain "vetting" is necessary for certain jobs, but running a credit check on everyone BEFORE considering a personal interview???

In addition: Anyone who has been unemployed for any length of time stands a pretty good chance of having their credit report 'dinged' for it. I struggle to see to it that every bill I have is "paid in full" and on time. Why should educated, willing, competent, & dedicated potential employees be dinked for possible employment because of something outside of his/her control?

And Three, being a "buyer's market" potential employers are being far too "picky" (for lack of better term) when it comes to who they will consider for hire? It's almost like we are running for office or something.

I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. It's ludicrous to expect such sensitive personal information and should be illegal for a company to delve that deeply into someone's personal life--even before granting a face to face interview.

I have emailed a few of our Gov't "servants" with my concerns, but seriously doubt anything will be done about it.

If anyone reading this rant is an employer who expects and requires such sensitive information via the internet and before a personal interview, shame on you! You probably don't deserve to have someone like me working for you anyway. You just missed out on the opportunity for a darn good employee.

End of rant. Thank you for hearing me out.

Blessings!

:ranton:

Last edited:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have been there man. It seems that in some areas of work, having your credit checked is not only invasive, but unnecessary to the job you are applying for. Someone like myself, my credit is way less than stellar due to having been unemployed for a year after school, naturally I graduated when the job market and the world economy took a dive. So, I was pretty much screwed and then I fell waaaaayyyyy behind on my student loans. Now, I am working, but the damage has been done. So, if I were to apply for perhaps a corporate job in my field, which I don't even deal with finances in any way shape or form due to the nature of my job; I would still get shuffled to the bottom of the pile. Even though I don't even work with money.

Just hang in there man. You will get hooked up eventually.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The last company I worked for required a credit and background check, an extensive online personality and math test and a hair follicle drug screening. A credit and background check and drug test are pretty standard for other companies I have worked for and will apply to.

Unfortunately many of the better companies require credit and background checks. The background check is the obvious to make sure you are not a criminal. The credit check is to see how responsible you are with your own money. The last company I worked at even required their temporary employees through Manpower to pass credit and background checks. I interviewed a a girl for a temporary position and could not hire her because she had filed bankruptcy a few years before.

My background is finance related so I understand the credit check for finance employees but not for plant workers who would have no contact with the finances. I'm surprised they would do the checks before interviewing people because they can be expensive unless the company has a contract for unlimited credit and background checks.

Be very careful who you provide this information to online. Definitely don't provide your SSN to any listings you find on Craigslist.

Good Luck in your job search.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Thinking as the folks in the HR department for any of the online listings, why would they want to waste their time bringing people in for a face-to-face if they can't pass the background checks? Being that there are more people than normal out of work, they can be as picky as they want and still be able to fill jobs. I know depending on the job I'm applying for, I might have to give my SSN and ok a credit check. If I'm not fine with that, I don't apply. It does leave out quite a few better jobs but it is my choice.

As far as the sensitive info part, if they have your name and a few more pieces of info...if they wanted, they'd have your SSN without much effort.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    While cannot speak for all employers out there. I know that in my business, my actual company not what I do for a living, depending on what we are doing and who we are doing it for we have to run every single person that comes into the building through very extensive background checks. Our largest customer is the U.S. Military and they like to know who is working at your facility. Most everyone in the company holds a level of military security clearance so we have to be very careful of letting people into the building.

And I know all companies that work for the depart of defense are the same way.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    While cannot speak for all employers out there. I know that in my business, my actual company not what I do for a living, depending on what we are doing and who we are doing it for we have to run every single person that comes into the building through very extensive background checks. Our largest customer is the U.S. Military and they like to know who is working at your facility. Most everyone in the company holds a level of military security clearance so we have to be very careful of letting people into the building.

And I know all companies that work for the depart of defense are the same way.

And thus a good reason for the background check. My point is that it seems more employers are looking for a reason not to hire someone rather than hire them on based on experience, qualifications, education, etc, etc...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    And thus a good reason for the background check. My point is that it seems more employers are looking for a reason not to hire someone rather than hire them on based on experience, qualifications, education, etc, etc...

With a large pool of experienced, educated, and qualified potential employees, why not pick and choose so you, as the the employer, can find the best possible candidates? (I do understand your frustrations and have been there as well and I'm sure I'll be there again in a semester or 2 when I'm done with this pesky degree).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I agree. I also think it IS illegal to require a SSN before they have actually hired you. Things may have changed since I last researched it, but I believe the SSN can only be legally required for two reasons, paying taxes and collecting benefits. I get so ticked off every time someone asks for mine....I tell them to go pound sand and remind them of the legality of their question.
    With a large pool of experienced, educated, and qualified potential employees, why not pick and choose so you, as the the employer, can find the best possible candidates? (I do understand your frustrations and have been there as well and I'm sure I'll be there again in a semester or 2 when I'm done with this pesky degree).
    Because that will be the first guy to jump ship when a better offer comes along. All this does is create a workforce full of underemployed ppl.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I agree. I also think it IS illegal to require a SSN before they have actually hired you. Things may have changed since I last researched it, but I believe the SSN can only be legally required for two reasons, paying taxes and collecting benefits. I get so ticked off every time someone asks for mine....I tell them to go pound sand and remind them of the legality of their question.

Because that will be the first guy to jump ship when a better offer comes along. All this does is create a workforce full of underemployed ppl.

Nope. It is legal, in most states, to ask for the SSN prior to hiring (even asking for it on the application...paper copy or online). It isn't the most ethical thing to do but it is legal in most states.

You're saying that if people have similar education, experience, and qualifications it would be best to take the one that isn't the best fit? If you're not going to try to hire the best possible candidates, you might as well just be bringing in warm bodies.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    We had to start pulling credit records and doing background checks to maintain PCI-DSS compliance, starting this year. They changed a few requirements around, and now anyone who handles or is exposed to credit card data is required to pass these checks. That means if you're filling out an app for something stupid like a cashier at a gas station you have to submit to this.

Honestly, you have to do what you have to do to get a job. I understand your concern about sending the information over the internet (but with my background in IT security, think that is overblown) and sending it to some random person in some random office (which is the much greater concern), but they way society is setup, you kind of have to roll the dice. Check your credit report each year and keep things as clean as you can. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

The good news is the "good" technology is advancing about as fast as the "bad" technology. I for one, can't wait until all credit cards have PINs, and we quit using our SSNs as some sort of holy token of identity. We could stop identity theft if we wanted to, but we don't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 45 plus years in my field. I have been doing a bit of job hopping the last few years looking for a proper fit and everyone of the 6 contractors I worked for last year required a background check. Welcome to the new world fellas. I did not make this happen but it is here and it will stay. If you want to work you have to provide this info like it or not. Heck man, it is all out there anyway. You are already listed somewhere by address or SSN or DLN. If you own property I can find you at a keystroke. This is the new way. If you do not provide this info a prospective employer thinks you are hiding something or you are a nutbag and just moves on to the next application and someone that has complied. This is the info age fellas, comply or be un-employed.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    This is the new way. If you do not provide this info a prospective employer thinks you are hiding something or you are a nutbag and just moves on to the next application and someone that has complied. This is the info age fellas, comply or be un-employed.
    I've spent more time today being wrong than right, but I know I've got this one! There is yet one more way, MAKE YOUR OWN JOB. I am in pretty bad shape employment wise...I have a job, but it seems to be just for the sake of working and having a job. I've been looking elsewhere for a couple of years, the wife has recently began looking, there just isn't anything there. This has lead us to the idea of creating our own. We have no financial means to start a business nor have we the credit or desire to borrow, but if we start small enough and work hard enough it will grow.

ETA we thought about growing and selling sweet corn due to the fact that we just haven't been seeing it for sale on the street corners the past couple of years. Researching it has lead me to the reason you don't see it anymore. Seed alone is over $600 per acre now, THANK YOU CARGIL AND MONSANTO!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    The good news is the "good" technology is advancing about as fast as the "bad" technology. I for one, can't wait until all credit cards have PINs, and we quit using our SSNs as some sort of holy token of identity. We could stop identity theft if we wanted to, but we don't.
    It is already that way in Europe and is not coming here, yet, I was told because of the cost of the machines on the retailers end of the system.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    It is already that way in Europe and is not coming here, yet, I was told because of the cost of the machines on the retailers end of the system.

Maybe. If so it's because VISA / Mastercard has made merchants spend billions in the past few years to adhere to the PCI-DSS that doesn't fix the main problem, that their security is broken and in fact non-existent. It could be if they asked them to spend a few billion more the answer would be GFY. I doubt it. Think about it. Any merchant that can accept debit cards ALREADY has the infrastructure to accept PIN credit card transactions. This is just more FUD and BS on the PCI's as an excuse on why they are dragging their feet. Why do they care? It's the merchants that are on the hook for any fraud, not them. They can just continue to screw their customers on fees and hidden gotchas and screw the merchants on fees and hidden gotchas. All that thievery and skulldudgery is complicated. All us merchants have to do is, you know, sell stuff. :rolleyes:

It's stupid that if you have my credit card number and my exp date you can use my card. It's also stupid that if you have my SSN you can take a loan out in my name. But what are you going to do?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I can understand employers demanding credit checks. You can get a pretty good insight to a person's character and level of personal responsibiltiy simply by looking at their credit report. Not always true but I'm sure it's true more often than not.

If I'm wanting to hire a guy for a $50k + job, do I want a guy who's got Aaron's Rent to Own on his credit report? Do I want a guy who has several missed or late payments? Why is he missing or late on payments? Is he not showing up for work regularly, thus not enough to pay his bills? Is his home life full or stress and drama due to being in debt, thus affecting his ability to do the job?

I've got a credit score of over 800. Run me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can understand employers demanding credit checks. You can get a pretty good insight to a person's character and level of personal responsibiltiy simply by looking at their credit report. Not always true but I'm sure it's true more often than not.

If I'm wanting to hire a guy for a $50k + job, do I want a guy who's got Aaron's Rent to Own on his credit report? Do I want a guy who has several missed or late payments? Why is he missing or late on payments? Is he not showing up for work regularly, thus not enough to pay his bills? Is his home life full or stress and drama due to being in debt, thus affecting his ability to do the job?

These are just a few of the reasons they want to check out people before they come on board. They are also trying to weed out the lawsuit nutjacks that disrupt the work place. Folks do not want pedophiles, felons thieves and villains on staff. If you have nothing to hide, why try and hide it. All of your info is on line anyway. Any teenage hacker worth his gameboy can find it.
    Everything we do now is related to your credit rating, criminal record etc. When I went through divorce (@ of them....I chose poorly) my rating went in the toilet. Took years to get back on track. Insurance, interest rates, all of it.
    This is what the computer has done for us fellas. Live with it or head to the woods and get off the grid.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another thing is that employers are probably tired of getting calls from creditors regarding their employees. How many credit apps have you ever filled out that didn't ask for your employer's name and address?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've spent more time today being wrong than right, but I know I've got this one! There is yet one more way, MAKE YOUR OWN JOB. I am in pretty bad shape employment wise...I have a job, but it seems to be just for the sake of working and having a job. I've been looking elsewhere for a couple of years, the wife has recently began looking, there just isn't anything there. This has lead us to the idea of creating our own. We have no financial means to start a business nor have we the credit or desire to borrow, but if we start small enough and work hard enough it will grow.

ETA we thought about growing and selling sweet corn due to the fact that we just haven't been seeing it for sale on the street corners the past couple of years. Researching it has lead me to the reason you don't see it anymore. Seed alone is over $600 per acre now, THANK YOU CARGIL AND MONSANTO!

Yes, that is a good way to go but the man will get you there to if you are not careful. I had a thriving HVAC business. I employed 7 people in the field and 1 in the office. The EPA and OSHA became intrusive in the mid 70's and really got in the way in the early 80's. I had so many regulations and fees, insurance increases and overhead growth that I sold it and went to work for someone else. These are the reasons it costs so much to get the furnace man to your door.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County

Yes, we all know how proud you are of your accomplishments my friend. We hear about them frequently. It's good to be proud of what one has done. Good for you!

What you seem to be missing is the fact that they want all of this information blindly without even meeting the candidate. I want to know with whom I am giving my personal information to. I want to sit in an office, see a face, and hand that information to them.

I want them to be interested in the fact that I spent 14.5 years in the Aerospace, Automotive, & Industrial Construction industries in addition to serving my country in the Air National Guard. And at 32 years of age, I went back to college, worked full time and attended school full time. I graduated near the top of my class too.

Yes, my credit score used to be pretty darn close to 800, and that's post-bankruptcy. My wife and I struggled for 10+ years to put our bad decisions coupled with a crippling back injury and a mountain of medical bills behind us.

In addition to that, for the past year and a half we have struggled to pay our bills completely and on time. By the grace of God we have pretty much done it too. I set our budget up that way quite a while back. Modest home, low debt, doing our very best to live within our means.

I have passed all the background checks to work in our State's Correctional facilities as a volunteer Clergy and spend a fair amount of time at Plainfield Correctional Facility trying to help people that many here would call "throw aways" get their lives turned around so they don't become repeat offenders. I am the VP of a ministry doing work in Kenya and Tanzania, East Africa. We have a Bible College teaching young pastors theology and how to disciple churches in the bush.

What offends me is that BEFORE these companies will even consider me, they feel the need to delve into my personal life without even the option of sitting across the table from me to discuss my qualifications and what makes me the person I am today.

All a credit score represents is the degree to which I can borrow money--which incidentally is much lower because I DON'T CARRY MUCH DEBT and I can't find a company willing to hire a 50 year old! :xmad:

I too am very proud of what God has blessed me with and do all I can to make a difference in this world because that's who I am. THAT'S what employers should be focused on--not who I may owe money to and where said money is spent. It's none of their darn business!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hope I did not come off as agreeing to this. I do not. I hate the fact they can and will delve into my past. There are a few things in there i do not care to remember and wish no one could know. I am not a fan of this. I just want to work one more year and then you all can have it. I will be done......gone shooting as i do not fish.

Top Bottom