• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Just a thought about a job idea and since you work in schools already maybe something to consider. Townships everywhere are hiring drivers/paying for training. Some have benefits-others do not. Plus you get a CDL-B out of it which could allow you go to elsewhere later.

So long as you have a decently clean drivers record and can pass a background check/drug test you almost guarantee yourself a job. Also leaves you open a few hours between routes for another job and summer.

That said, I have to admit I am trying to get out ASAP. Started school about a month ago to learn a new trade/skill.

Something else to consider ... drive a school bus. Not really a livable wage. BUT ... the in between hours would allow you to study or do something else as you change to another job. Most districts are hurting for drivers and will probably train. Not too difficult. Must have clean license and the ability to get passenger endorsement. Other requirements are based on the equipment they have.

$15-20 bucks an hour easy, field trips and after school activities can make enough to get by on. Doesn't leave much for extra money laying around... but many bus drivers drive for limo companies, tour bus/coach companies, senior living homes... I drove at Lowe's part time while I was in training (full time before)... Lowes wanted us to get our CDL which is what got me into the bus driving gig.

SpiritClump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2015
    Middlebury
    Sometimes people don't get along and create "teams" if you will. I'd say it's time to move on to something else if you metal state is one the line.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I'm just tired of being treated like crap, and not appreciated, the other maintenance guy knows how to maintain sport fields and everybody loves him, but they treat me like trash, I just want a job where I'm appreciate at I don't have lots of skills but if sebody teaches me I can learn, so see what turns out

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Question for all who have driven a front end loader, I have had little experience driving one my boss was crazy and let me drive a few times and then stopped training me, I'd love to get more experience but do you think a company would train me to drive one if I had just alittle experience?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm not trying to come across like a jerk but you have spent the last few days talking about how your boss and the new maintenance guy are jerks but then you say everybody like them and doesn't like you. I am also seeing a pattern that your situation is everyone else's fault. I haven't seen you take any responsibility for this mess your in. If part of this is your attitude or work ethics, then it will follow you where ever you go.

I am honestly just trying to get you to look at all sides of this situation for the betterment of your future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question for all who have driven a front end loader, I have had little experience driving one my boss was crazy and let me drive a few times and then stopped training me, I'd love to get more experience but do you think a company would train me to drive one if I had just alittle experience?

It sounds like you have issues at every task you attempt my boy. I am seeing a pattern here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not trying to come across like a jerk but you have spent the last few days talking about how your boss and the new maintenance guy are jerks but then you say everybody like them and doesn't like you. I am also seeing a pattern that your situation is everyone else's fault. I haven't seen you take any responsibility for this mess your in. If part of this is your attitude or work ethics, then it will follow you where ever you go.

I am honestly just trying to get you to look at all sides of this situation for the betterment of your future.

OK....I need to read the entier page before posting.

He does mention training stopping everywhere he goes.

I think there is a lot more to this one.

Seriously.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I have been disinclined to make critical assumption based on this by virtue of having been in the same type of situation before. It is entirely possible to be the decent person in a house full of a*****es.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been disinclined to make critical assumption based on this by virtue of having been in the same type of situation before. It is entirely possible to be the decent person in a house full of a*****es.

True but he lists a few things he has attempted outside the school job with the same results.
    Not being critical but after 109 posts it is showing a pattern.

JMHO of course.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    ok update I took my 5 days of vacation with my gf it was fantastic I needed a break

How did you go about requesting the 5 day vacation? This may be part of the issue, and this fact may have gotten lost in the mix when everyone was talking about unemployment. I don't know many places that are keen on giving 5 day vacations out on a whim, even if they are owed. Pulling in the old employee may be his way of covering while you went on holiday, not expecting you to return.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

The last thing I am trying to do is to be critical. Just offering food for thought. I have been in his situation as well, but I also had to take some of the responsibility.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The last thing I am trying to do is to be critical. Just offering food for thought. I have been in his situation as well, but I also had to take some of the responsibility.

I have seen what you describe and have also seen situations in which if you weren't one of the good old boys in the circle jerk, I don't care how good you were, you didn't have a chance.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    here is a example of my trying at the job I told my boss that some lights were out he said they were emergency lights that he would replace them I said why don't you show me how to fix them so I can do it myself he never did but months pass and I ask him again and he finally shows me and I end up replacing 5 lights, so I may not be as smart with a lot of things like my boss and the other maintenance guy but show me teach me and I can try it, might surprise myself and you, same with my boss teaching me how to drive the loader most of the time he screamed at me and never in a not "work environment" let me learn just do it now or get out and I will do it, which he did a lot, I wanted to learn to drive it he just stopped teaching me

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have seen what you describe and have also seen situations in which if you weren't one of the good old boys in the circle jerk, I don't care how good you were, you didn't have a chance.

I have never had the good ole boys club keep me from having a chance..... wait a minute...... Does that mean I was part of the club? Seriously though I have always been able to get along with just about anybody.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    here is a example of my trying at the job I told my boss that some lights were out he said they were emergency lights that he would replace them I said why don't you show me how to fix them so I can do it myself he never did but months pass and I ask him again and he finally shows me and I end up replacing 5 lights, so I may not be as smart with a lot of things like my boss and the other maintenance guy but show me teach me and I can try it, might surprise myself and you, same with my boss teaching me how to drive the loader most of the time he screamed at me and never in a not "work environment" let me learn just do it now or get out and I will do it, which he did a lot, I wanted to learn to drive it he just stopped teaching me

What would have happened if you saw the lights were out and then changed them out yourself instead of asking your boss to show you how? I worked industrial maintenance for 20 years before I took a sales position 18 years ago. I have been at this company for 18 years and 10 years at each of the Maintenance jobs. I have never been reprimanded by my boss for taking care of something that needed repaired even if I made mistakes in the process of learning. A can do attitude goes a long way with management.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @bluewrath I had 5 personal "vacation" days saved up and I let me boss know 1 month I think in advance he was fine with it and I told him the dates I would be gone and he was ok with it, and I get back and he said I moved you to part time,

Top Bottom