• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The student make the school run, everybody is worried cause enrollment is down, maybe cause nobody can afford the cash, not everybody is rich it blows my mind how parents can afford this, I feel sorry for the kids sometimes, I just want to get out and get a better job quick, I know they won't find anybody who wants the night shift its horrible, unless you like to sleep my hours were 3-11 seriously 11:00pm? Who works that late at a school

We sent my 2 kids to the Catholic school. It was stupid expensive.
    Yes, folks are strapped right now. It was a struggle for us at times.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The student make the school run, everybody is worried cause enrollment is down, maybe cause nobody can afford the cash, not everybody is rich it blows my mind how parents can afford this, I feel sorry for the kids sometimes, I just want to get out and get a better job quick, I know they won't find anybody who wants the night shift its horrible, unless you like to sleep my hours were 3-11 seriously 11:00pm? Who works that late at a school

Here is a link to the new Cabela's in Noblesville. They have some open positions, but I don't think they are opening until August.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25405&siteid=5454&jobid=1408082

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Dad gave me some great advice and repeated it over and over.

A good job is a fine thing, but if you don't possess special skills of your own you are dependent on the employer. Someone else can take the job away. They can never take your skills away.

30 is not too old to get training, certifications or a degree. My brother-in-law is pursuing his engineering degree and he's in his 50s.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Do you know any of the people who attend the church who have acted kindly towards you? Maybe someone you met who has a company that needs help? Work the network of people who you know and respect. Don't give up!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Burt,

I can use some help on a couple landscaping jobs I have going. Can you shovel & spread mulch, & push a wheel barrow? Cash money paid by the hour. Rate to be determined by how hard you work. I will guarantee $12/hr and that can go up based on your effort and skill. I've paid hard workers $20/hr to give you an idea. Both jobs are located in Noblesville. I am a 1 man show, so it will just be me and you. I am starting the first one this week.

I know its not permanent work, but it'll pay some bills while you continue your search.

PM me if interested.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    ok update I took my 5 days of vacation with my gf it was fantastic I needed a break, so I get back to work and my boss tells me he is putting me to "part time" which means my benefits are gone and so is the extra money and he brought in a guy who quit a few years back, and my boss says it was either fire me or put me on part time, he says im "savable" so idk im still looking for full time work I need the extra income, so nice way to come back from vacation hey we cut your pay so Fu**k you lol

They want you to quit. Gosh I hope you don't have an accident at work that requires you to file for workman's comp.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Never heard of a Catholic school hurting for students in this day and age. The state of Indiana will even pay your tuition if you meet certain income requirements. The school voucher system has the schools packed and running waiting lists.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A good job is a fine thing, but if you don't possess special skills of your own you are dependent on the employer. Someone else can take the job away. They can never take your skills away.

30 is not too old to get training, certifications or a degree. My brother-in-law is pursuing his engineering degree and he's in his 50s.

I mentioned this upstream. If you are a janitor and seek no training or skill advancements guess what you will be next year.........and the next year......and the next year.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Just a thought about a job idea and since you work in schools already maybe something to consider. Townships everywhere are hiring drivers/paying for training. Some have benefits-others do not. Plus you get a CDL-B out of it which could allow you go to elsewhere later.

So long as you have a decently clean drivers record and can pass a background check/drug test you almost guarantee yourself a job. Also leaves you open a few hours between routes for another job and summer.

That said, I have to admit I am trying to get out ASAP. Started school about a month ago to learn a new trade/skill.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I mentioned this upstream. If you are a janitor and seek no training or skill advancements guess what you will be next year.........and the next year......and the next year.
    Exactly this. In this day and age it's almost a MUST to diversify your skill sets in order to increase your employment potential.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Never too old to start learning a valuable trade. I feel for you, but please use this as an opportunity to become an asset to a future employer that they can't do without vs. just another warm body who can do "odd job" type of tasks.

This doesn't mean you need expensive schooling or training classes - plenty of employers will hire someone with positive energy and a willingness to learn a new skill.
    Good luck

Damn Burt....get some training/skills developed.
    Not being snarky just saying. Time to move "Up" not across.

Sorry about the hard time you're having.

For whatever it's worth, when you find the next full-time job you can live on, I'd spend your off hours building marketable skills, some kind of skilled trade or college.

My brother can attest to this. Many years ago he was in a situation similar to what the OP is facing. He worked at a Catholic school in a custodial capacity and the administrator in charge was one of those overlord types that was referred to as the "Dragon Lady."

Hang in there OP and take the opportunities as they come to improve your skill sets as others have suggested. BTW...My brother now has a Masters Degree in business management working toward a Phd. He currently holds a high level management job with a very comfortable six figure salary. He's come a long way needless to say because he constantly strove to improve his lot in life in order to increase his earning potential.

Burt,

I am 49 and just walked for my graduation last month for an Associates Degree. I am a few classes away from being HR certified and a few classes away from my Associates in Liberal Arts in philosophy. I have been going part time for years and flip-flopped on my degree but things are starting to come together.

I am NO LONGER limited to putting just a HS diploma down on applications or resumes. What everyone else has said upstream is true! Skills, skills, skills are the way to go. Some local unions will teach trade skills.

Think of something you could enjoy doing for the rest of your life and get a skill in it. That way you can make great money and never work a day again, you'll just be doing what you love. This is an awesome opportunity for you to still have a part-time job and expand your knowledge at the same time. Don't look at this as a negative, but if you're working in a church consider this Gods way of telling you you can be a better person, that there is more for you to contribute and enjoy than what you're doing now. Sometimes we're so focused we hear the words but not the meaning.

On another note you might want to contact your accountant and ask about nonprofits and their requirements on things. I know my accountant does the books for several local churches and she has told me that many times they try to get away with crap that is illegal! When she first started doing the books for one she had to go into their board and explain that what was happening in one section of the church didn't apply to other sections by law. Their secretary threw a fit and argued about them being exempt because "we're a church" and we don't have to do that. I don't remember what it was but she had to pound it in their head that the "church" was exempt but I believe(?) it was the "daycare" that was making money was not exempt. It was something like that. That's why I suggest you talk with your accountant first and get a professional set of eyes on just what they are doing before presuming it is legal. How your check is made out could mean a LOT OF GRIEF for them if they're trying to stretch their church coverage beyond what is allowed. As I have heard many church folks cannot grasp that some things the church does is covered by certain rules while other things are covered by different rules. They think everything done as a "church group" is the same when legally it just ain't so.

No matter what good luck with this transition to a better place for you!

Regards,

Doug

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I know I need more skills for a good job but I can't afford to go to school so I would need training on the job, I have a college degree in applied sciences, I went to automotive school but never got the chance for hands on training in a garage I did work on breaks but my boss was a jerk and told me to stop when I was learning and under supervision of a tech, but nobody wants to teach anybody just here take this and go, depressing

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Saw my boss today asked me if I was looking for a new job told him yes, he said I did this to myself cause when his boss sees me I'm not doing anything, so I guess she sees me one time and thinks I'm not working, he gave me a example if people see me drinking water I'm not working? Seriously, he is there 10min and leaves but he is "the boss" must be nice to be in charge,

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Burt,

I can use some help on a couple landscaping jobs I have going. Can you shovel & spread mulch, & push a wheel barrow? Cash money paid by the hour. Rate to be determined by how hard you work. I will guarantee $12/hr and that can go up based on your effort and skill. I've paid hard workers $20/hr to give you an idea. Both jobs are located in Noblesville. I am a 1 man show, so it will just be me and you. I am starting the first one this week.

I know its not permanent work, but it'll pay some bills while you continue your search.

PM me if interested.

@bocefus78 your inbox is full I'm interested in the job message me thanks

His inbox prolly filled up in the four hours it took for you to get back to him. That is a very good offer! I would have beat you to it, had this gent been in my area. ;)

Good for bocefus78 for being a stand up guy! I hope you get the job, burt. :)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    @brandon please share, I need a job bad hell I"ll be a bullet vest tester, just need a job,

Burt,

A couple of places to start.

Ivy Tech Information Request

Apprenticeship Opportunities - Plumbers and Steamfitters Local Union 166

IBEW > Home

SMW 20 Sheet Metal Workers Union

IvyTech is great for a variety of skills! They have the hands on, get dirty jobs training and the pansy, wear the monkey suit classes. (I took the pansy classes;)) Or you can for for a special suit and get into cuisine, becoming a renowned chef.

The Plumbers and Steamfitters website has an apprenticeship program link, so I put that first. The IBEW didn't have a direct link I found but you can call them and ask. I used the Sheet Metal Workers Union for some info when I was researching starting ammunition manufacturing. They had classes going on for apprentices then. I used the Fort Wayne link but you may be able to find a union shop closer to your location if you contact them.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but as I understand it Workforce One has free training! Link: DWD: Career Training & Adult Education You'll have to follow up on this as I could be full of kaakaa but I had a friend who took some classes there when he was unemployed and didn't pay for them, so I do believe they're free.

Start a page working on your resume. Write down every single skill you have NO MATTER HOW UNIMPORTANT you think it is! Can you type? If so, how fast? If you don't know find a link online to test yourself and write it down. Can you read & write English? Put it down. You'd be surprised how many take this for granted. I've had professors who teach COLLEGE tell me horror stories about how students have somehow made it into their classrooms without these skills. Do you know any Spanish? If so, down it goes. Proficient with MS Word or Excel? Write it down. Even if you're not an expert you can still claim a basic level of proficiency and improve on it. In your jobs have you learned how to use any special tools or equipment? Even if you're not an expert - write it down. As you start working on your resume you'll find things that you didn't realize you could do. You are actually far more competent than you know. Even things you have done on the side outside of work can be used. My resume shows that for the Libertarian Party I produced and hosted a Public Access television program for over five (5) years. That program won an award competing with other shows in five (5) states. So think about soft skills as well as hard ones. Ever in the service? Yep, write it down.

On all of the things you write down I will urge you not to lie but also don't count yourself out. During an interview process you can clarify with the potential employer how far up the tree your skill goes. The first point is to get your foot in the interview room. After that you have an opportunity to clarify any questions they may have. They may well be willing to train you as long as they don't have to start at the absolute bottom. You won't know until you get through the door.

Regards,

Doug

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Something else to consider ... drive a school bus. Not really a livable wage. BUT ... the in between hours would allow you to study or do something else as you change to another job. Most districts are hurting for drivers and will probably train. Not too difficult. Must have clean license and the ability to get passenger endorsement. Other requirements are based on the equipment they have.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom