• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I agree with all the above for the most part. I have had a couple of Bersa's over the years and have never had an issue, we have sold a few in the shop and sold a bunch back when I worked for Albro's and never seen one that I recall come back for warranty issues.
    If I was going to spend that much on three pistols though I would just take the money and purchase a new Glock along with a holster and some ammo.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    if you plan to carry then i would look at several options. some people have a hard time carrying a full size like the G22 while others can do it with no problem. If you were planning on buying all 3 of the guns listed at the prices you listed then that budget puts you in the ballpark for a number of great carry guns. i would spend some time handling as many as you can. you can easily get used glocks in the 400.00 - 450.00 range. there are just many better choices out there than the ones listed in the OP. I would also stick with at least a 9mm for a carry gun.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    :twocents:If the Phoenix breaks or blows up in your hand they will gladly and promptly repair or replace it.
    My plinker Phoenix .22 has been back twice and is currently in pieces waiting to go back again. (if I ever get around to it)

Busted extractor, worn mag release, busted hammer, failed safety and two recoil springs failed. Really inaccurate diecast semi-junk. Excellent customer service and american made IIRC.
    High round count and 100 HV stinger hollow points may have contributed to hammer and recoil springs.

In that 350 to $400 price range there are some very good used Rugers and others that would serve well besides the bersa.

Having carried a 2 barrel /.38 Itallian derringer when nothing else would conceal I still feel a cheap gun is better than throwing rocks.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I like my phoenix. But only as a plinker. Even though I've not had many issues with it, I still wouldn't bet my life on it. As oldfb said, they have excellent customer service. My mag lock got stuck on mine and I had to basically pick the lock to get it out, I called and told them about it and they had a new one sent out within a few days!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have two Phoenix .22s with thousands of rounds through em, and never had a problem, not even one. I've heard they have to be kept clean, but I keep em that way anyway. That being said, I don't carry them for protection, and wouldnt, except as maybe a deep conceal BUG.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Maybe the Bersa but the others will be a waste of money - from personal experience! I echo the HP choice if that is all you can or want to spend.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks for the info. Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka has about 30 used Glock 22's for sale at $339 but they look a little rough. I am also thinking of a Taurus 24/7 for $350. Not sure about either. Any opinions?

I have shot the 24/7, and for the price it's a good shooter.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Zimm, if price is that big of an issue for your 9mm, The S&W Sigma is much improved over its original models. It's not the most well received weapon, but it's a far better value than the Jimenz. Midwest has them for about $300 with the rebate. I looked at them before I decided to spend a bit more and purchased my Springfield XD9

I don't own a Bersa, but have researched them extensively and tried a few of them out. I would recommend the Bersa Thunder .380......good luck finding ammo locally, though. I assume you live in SB, or Mishawaka or Elkhart area since you mentioned Midwest Gun Exchange. I live in Nappanee and have had a hard time finding .380 ammo.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a phoenix HP22A that I have put quite a few rounds through. I am testing the customer service right now because my frame cracked. I actually put a $10 red dot on mine and have a blast with mine. It is only a plinking gun and would never totally rely on it except for plinking and shooting cans.
    For the money you are going to spend i would for sure look for something a little nicer. Jim

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Zimm, if price is that big of an issue for your 9mm, The S&W Sigma is much improved over its original models. It's not the most well received weapon, but it's a far better value than the Jimenz. Midwest has them for about $300 with the rebate. I looked at them before I decided to spend a bit more and purchased my Springfield XD9
    snip.

In fact, I note there is a .40 S&W Sigma for sale in the classifieds right now for $300, with extra mags. Not the very best firearm around, but it is a perfectly serviceable gun, and with the extra goodies that's a pretty good deal.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    if you want a Phoenix HP25, I'll sell you one for much less than $150. I wouldn't carry it, the .25 isn't much for SD, but it's a fun plinker. I'll echo everyone else, though, in saying buy 1 good gun rather than 3 cheap ones, it's in your best interests.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    if you plan to carry then i would look at several options. some people have a hard time carrying a full size like the G22 while others can do it with no problem. If you were planning on buying all 3 of the guns listed at the prices you listed then that budget puts you in the ballpark for a number of great carry guns. i would spend some time handling as many as you can. you can easily get used glocks in the 400.00 - 450.00 range. there are just many better choices out there than the ones listed in the OP. I would also stick with at least a 9mm for a carry gun.

:+1: to what JohnP82 said.

Buying either or both of the others is just silly :spend: and pure :nono:

Get a Glock 26. Works first time, every time; reasonable to conceal. Just lock and load :draw:
    ;)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Be Careful!

there was a taurus 709 "slim" on this board - an great option.

Be careful with the 709 Slim. :noway: I bought one used from the INGO classifieds and it never worked correctly. Seller assured me it was operable, but it has a 25% failure rate at my two range tests. :xmad: The feed ramp on mine came loose, I could watch it rattle when I opened the slide, and the rear sight fell off. I have arranged to send it back to Taurus so I am now testing their customer service.:drama:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    :twocents:If the Phoenix breaks or blows up in your hand they will gladly and promptly repair or replace it.
    My plinker Phoenix .22 has been back twice and is currently in pieces waiting to go back again. (if I ever get around to it)

Busted extractor, worn mag release, busted hammer, failed safety and two recoil springs failed. Really inaccurate diecast semi-junk. Excellent customer service and american made IIRC.
    High round count and 100 HV stinger hollow points may have contributed to hammer and recoil springs.

Don't take this wrong, but personally if a gun kept blowing up in my hand, there's no way I'd shoot it again. It's only a matter of time before someone goes horribly wrong.

Top Bottom