Jeep VS Truck for a reliable, easy to work on 4X4 that can go anywhere.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    From a shade tree mechanics perspective, My idea would be a mid 90's chevy 4wd ext pickup with the short bed, (you could order the long bed back then),

WHY:

Very easy to work on, parts are not at a premium
    4.3 or 350 very proven out engine, Plus things like A/C were on separate belt, if they lock up Cut the belt and drive on
    After 96 they had OBD2 for diagnostics
    Pre 96 I would keep a spare ignition set on hand (about the only mission disabling thing that went wrong)
    4wd system was very good, Not Jeep Cherokee standards but right there next to it.
    Transfer case was very solid and the 700R4 transmission and it's replacement are very solid
    Front CV joints are quick and easy to change, Same with wheel bearings.

EOTW mods would be jegs TBI and ignition system and thats about it.

2nd choice would be Pre96 Grand Cherokee
    again, 318 motor was solid, and mechanical transfer case solid,

Wranglers only real problem
    storage capacity
    engines were not as reliable as the proven GM 350/4.3
    Factory Ujoints and Front Ujoints a little fragile in rocky places
    Chrysler Radio's in them will fail
    parts are much more expensive that common GM truck parts

My 2 cents

That being said I have both at home

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I enjoy my Grand Cherokee thoroughly, and also have a 52 Willys for a toy. I daily drive the Cherokee and love it. That said, I got it at 150K miles and it is now at 170k and so far I have:

- Replaced the rear differential bearings
    - Replaced both rear axles
    - All new brake lines
    - All new brake calipers
    - Power steering pump
    - Replaced the rocker panels
    - Fixed Rusted hole in the hatch
    - Hatch lifts
    - New front axle universal joints
    - New shocks
    - New muffler/cat
    - Wide variety of front end parts
    - Water pump / hoses
    - Plugs / wires
    - Adjusted the bands on the slipping transmission

The upside is that this thing is so easy to work on that I did it all myself for probably $500 in parts (Advance auto has awesome $40 off online coupons). And the 4.0L engine is rock solid.

The downside is... well, that's a big list.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Down here, Jeeps seem to be selling like hot-cakes. I wouldn't mind having one just to try out. But if I had to pick, it'd be a full size, 1/2 ton (minimum), 4X4, extended (or double/crew cab), preferably with a long bed on it. I've had Silverados and Sierras for 12-13 years now and they're great. They ride good (for trips) and I've had no problem with snow. Plus, when you need to pick up something big after work or on a whim, you've got that bed ready to haul it. But I would not trade my pickup in on a Jeep.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I'm interested in this thread as well. I have a 2015 F 150 extended cab / long bed that I am going to get rid of. My work is moving so parking in a parking garage with the truck is an issue. I want 4 wheel drive and have a utility trailer for hauling stuff. I was thinking of a jeep but some of the comments here are a concern. This would be my daily driver and like OP not real good with fixing my own stuff. What about the Rubicons? seem a little bigger and can remove the top, it's just me so cargo and passenger room is not important

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    But I would not trade my pickup in on a Jeep.

LOL I did. :D

I had a 2002 Dodge Ram sport that was all decked out. I loved that truck. But then in 2005, I drove my first Jeep Wrangler. And I instantly fell in love. I had never had that much fun driving a vehicle. I STILL remember that feeling. That following weekend, without hesitating, I traded my beloved truck for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. And I have been driving it everyday since.

Now being married and a homeowner, I'll admit it's been a PITA having to haul a trailer or borrow my father's truck. But it's rare when I actually NEED a truck to haul something. We've been able to manage loading items in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. And hauling a trailer with my jeep is OK.

There are days when I'm tempted to trade my jeep for a truck, but I know I'd miss it too much. My way of thinking, a truck IS more practical. But Jeep Wrangler is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. And life is too short to not have any fun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm interested in this thread as well. I have a 2015 F 150 extended cab / long bed that I am going to get rid of. My work is moving so parking in a parking garage with the truck is an issue. I want 4 wheel drive and have a utility trailer for hauling stuff. I was thinking of a jeep but some of the comments here are a concern. This would be my daily driver and like OP not real good with fixing my own stuff. What about the Rubicons? seem a little bigger and can remove the top, it's just me so cargo and passenger room is not important

The rubicon is just a jeep wrangler model. It's the same size as a sport and a sahara. It's just a different package. It's more expensive, but you have the heavier front and rear axle, the lockers, and the lower gearing.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    With Jeeps you can just throw 4x8 sheet goods right in the back..........................Oh, wait.

Jeeps are a great way to transport bales of hay..................Uh.

Jeeps are perfect for hunting because all the blood stays out of the cab.................Er.

With a Jeep you can drive your mower, dirtbikes, bicycles or ATV right into the back..................Huh.

Jeeps have cute little horns..............."Beep-Beep". :rockwoot:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you don't do a whole lot of hauling, I find the Jeep to be a lot more fun for daily use.

I use the heck out of the back of my cherokee. Fold down the seats and you've got quite a lot of space back there. You can fit a small air mattress to camp out.

We also take it to the drive-in and I can fit the whole family back there with pillows and such quite comfortably.

It hauls 90% of the things that I need to haul, and any particularly long stuff goes on the roof rack.

It also beats a truck for off-roading or blizzards any day of the week.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    LOL I did. :D

I had a 2002 Dodge Ram sport that was all decked out. I loved that truck. But then in 2005, I drove my first Jeep Wrangler. And I instantly fell in love. I had never had that much fun driving a vehicle. I STILL remember that feeling. That following weekend, without hesitating, I traded my beloved truck for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. And I have been driving it everyday since.

Now being married and a homeowner, I'll admit it's been a PITA having to haul a trailer or borrow my father's truck. But it's rare when I actually NEED a truck to haul something. We've been able to manage loading items in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. And hauling a trailer with my jeep is OK.

There are days when I'm tempted to trade my jeep for a truck, but I know I'd miss it too much. My way of thinking, a truck IS more practical. But Jeep Wrangler is a hell of a lot more fun to drive. And life is too short to not have any fun.

You do realize, don't you, that there's no law that says you only get to pick one? :D

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'd love to have a jeep, but I use my truck bed way too much. Jeeps are fun, trucks are too, but trucks won't make it on serious off road trails, which most people that have jeeps don't go on anyway. I think it boils down to how much will I be off roading vs hauling things you don't want in your cab.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The Tacoma is indestructible.

[video=youtube_share;xnWKz7Cthkk]http://youtu.be/xnWKz7Cthkk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;kFnVZXQD5_k]http://youtu.be/kFnVZXQD5_k[/video]

Top Bottom